'Rooms" feature with non-WP8 devices

o_k_boy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm thinking of switching from an iPhone 4 to the Lumia 920, and most of my friends have iOS devices so we use group iMessages a lot. I remember hearing that people with iOS or Android devices could be invited to 'Rooms' in WP8 which sounds like it does the same kind of thing (and more) - does anyone know any details about this yet?

I know the phones are just hitting the streets, but any first-hand info would be great.

Thanks for your help!

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
On the press conference they said Rooms will work with other OSs but will have limited functionality. They said your friends would get the "full experience" if they switch to WP8.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Good question. I would like to know if there is a Windows 8 app coming. It would be fantastic to have it on a Surface or PC.

o_k_boy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
On the press conference they said Rooms will work with other OSs but will have limited functionality. They said your friends would get the "full experience" if they switch to WP8.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I remembered as well. It was really the specifics I was after - what functionality do they get, how does it work, that kind of stuff. I've pretty much made up my mind to get a 920 anyway as soon as they're in store in the UK, so hopefully I'll be able to test it with my own iPhone soon and see what happens.

o_k_boy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Just found this on the windowsphone.com site here:

Using Rooms and Groups | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

"You can only get the full Rooms experience on Windows Phone 8. But people with Windows Phone 7, Android or iPhone can join your room and take part. They'll have to do a bit of setup first, and they won't be able to participate in group chat, but they'll be able to use the shared calendar, photo album and notes. For more info, see Rooms on Windows Phone 7, Android and iPhone."

(Should have googled a bit harder before starting this thread...)

Sadly the 'Rooms on Windows Phone 7, Android and iPhone' link leads to a 'page not found' message at the moment, but it answers some of my questions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes