Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Hi all,

I can see album art for the albums I've copied over to my HTC 8X but theres no art work showing on the lock screen (just grey) and no images on the Music + Video app.

Is there something that needs to be done to the mp3 files? They are all tagged + a Folder.jpg image in the root. (Display fine in Windows Media Player)

Thanks

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Sam phone and same problem here. Love the phone but the music player is shocking. Missing artwork on some albums even though I know it's there and just a grey picture in the background and lock screen. Nothing wrong with the way I've tagged my files up as I've been doing it for years with no problems on any device. What's the deal?

Slightly off topic but how the **** do you jump to a certain point in a song? I can't figure it out. It just skips track or fast forwards.
    - Dubstep, Reggae, Drum & Bass, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Breaks, Ska & more.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ditched my iPhone 4S for the HTC 8X... No regrets!

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    You're both using embedded album art? I'm not sure if folder.jpg works, but using Mp3tag to add cover images to my MP3s has never failed.

You can always try disabling Zune/Xbox from syncing to see if it is incorrectly tagging your music.

After some testing, it appears a Folder.jpg within the folder works to display the album art (Same as windows media player) but I cannot see the trigger for loading the artist info\Lock wall paper loading?

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Try to navigate to the specific artist's screen or play the artist's music while on an internet connection. If there's a connect to Zune/Xbox toggle under music settings, turn that on.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    On mine, all mp3's are tagged with MP3Tag and the pictures are embedded. I have no folder image. Maybe I should try that tonight. How do I go bout creating them automatically?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just googled the cover and saved it as Folder.jpg within the album\CD folder (with the mp3 files)

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chinswain View Post
    I just googled the cover and saved it as Folder.jpg within the album\CD folder (with the mp3 files)
    I'm having a nightmare with this lol. I tried to rename the artwork as Folder.jpg and up came the popup saying that this already existed. So I assumed it was a hidden file as I couldn't see it. I made hidden files visable and nothing is there. Bit of a head scratcher.

So, I decided to try the software that lets you sync with itunes. Same problem. Grrr. Any ideas?

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Ok, the plot thickens. I managed to get a picture saved as folder.jpg in a different albums folder. transferred it over and still nothing. Pretty sure that it shouldnt be this hard for a phone to display dynamic artwork like its supposed to. Sick of the grey background and grey lockscreen. I must be missing something obvious here.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    This is really weird. So, I've been sat here for about 45 minutes trying to get this to work and I gave up. Then I started browsing through my phone and all of a sudden most of my albums now have the dynamic artwork. What the ****?

So, after 3 days of playing music its decided to download the correct artwork? What? lol

No idea why or how but glad its working. Not all albums are doing it but my music collection is pretty obscure so I can forgive it.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Scienide- View Post
    This is really weird. So, I've been sat here for about 45 minutes trying to get this to work and I gave up. Then I started browsing through my phone and all of a sudden most of my albums now have the dynamic artwork. What the ****?

So, after 3 days of playing music its decided to download the correct artwork? What? lol

No idea why or how but glad its working. Not all albums are doing it but my music collection is pretty obscure so I can forgive it.
    Sorry for spamming this thread with posts. Just updtating you with my situtaion...again lol.

So, turns out its still crap. Some artists have the wrong picture behind them. Some dont have anything behind them and the damn phone keeps breaking up my albums into seperate albums.

For example. Masta Ace Incorporated - Slaughtahouse has been split. Three tracks have been put in as Masta Ace - Slaughtahouse (Parental Advisory).

Altern-8 - Full On Mask Hysteria has had half the album moved into Altern 8 - Full On Mask Hysteria.

Why the **** is it splitting my albums up and changing all the tags around. Its driving me crazy!!!!!

How's the split album appear in Media Player on the PC?
    There's a tag called Album Artist - have you set this? (Needs to be the same for the album to appear grouped)

Would be good to know the rules behind how\why the artist info loads - so we can make sure it's tagged correctly!

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I am OCD when it comes to tagging my music. All of my albums are tagged in the same way with the correct info. I've got about 600 albums all properly tagged and organized.

I watched the phone change it with my own eyes. Once I drag my Altern-8 album over the phone displays it correctly. Then it connects to xbox music and changes the info. It takes some tracks and renames the artist as Altern 8. It does this with a Jurrassic 5 album too. Its hit and miss. A Dubstep artist called Seven has the artwork and bio of some lame pop singer also called Seven lol.

Why could they do it so that if you turn off the xbox music connection then it would just blow up the track artwork for the background image.

Also, have you figured out a way to jump to a certain part of the track yet, without using fast forward. I cant believe you cant just jump to a time in a song. Must be possible, surely?

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    If you have OCD with music tagging, turn off any sync with Xbox Music. I similarly micromanage my music and I've got sync with "Zune" turned off on my Windows Phone 7. You'll unfortunately lose the artist backgrounds, but I didn't mind that considering I have some embarrassingly wrong artists showing up. Sucky, but in the name of "ease-of-use", the people like us always lose out.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    If you have OCD with music tagging, turn off any sync with Xbox Music. I similarly micromanage my music and I've got sync with "Zune" turned off on my Windows Phone 7. You'll unfortunately lose the artist backgrounds, but I didn't mind that considering I have some embarrassingly wrong artists showing up. Sucky, but in the name of "ease-of-use", the people like us always lose out.
    I think thats the way to go, but its a shame. I think if you decide to turn off the Xbox Music connection then it should just blow up the album artwork for the background image. It looks pretty crap with a grey background.

Nobody seems to have replied to me at all regarding the ability to jump to a certain point in a song. Is that not possible?

I am having a similar problem, but I have a Lumia 920, so I am not quite sure what to do, or how to go about fixing it. I tried syncing with xbox music, that didn't work. It it does show the artists for some bands like Green Day, but other bands its the bland and boring gray.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Yeah, it sucks doesnt it? I keep trying all sorts of things to get it working but its just a mess.

Yeah, it sucks doesnt it? I keep trying all sorts of things to get it working but its just a mess.
    I am just gonna turn that feature off for a while until someone else comes up with a solution. Besides that and the lack of certain apps, I love this phone.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sayaintjimmy View Post
    I am having a similar problem, but I have a Lumia 920, so I am not quite sure what to do, or how to go about fixing it. I tried syncing with xbox music, that didn't work. It it does show the artists for some bands like Green Day, but other bands its the bland and boring gray.
    Quote Originally Posted by sayaintjimmy View Post
    I am just gonna turn that feature off for a while until someone else comes up with a solution. Besides that and the lack of certain apps, I love this phone.

I'm with you on that. Turned mine off too and other than that I am loving this phone and OS.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    What I've noticed is that any album art I've manually added with WMP shows up on my phone.

Here's what I got after messing with my Lumia 920. The album art seems to download at random intervals. Xbox Music will download album art if they are missing if ALL the songs matched with album on the store. I really mean ALL the song. The store should download the artwork if it recognize your album. Search for your album on the store and it should say "In Collection."

The artist artwork is a bit tricky. It seems to download those at random interval too sometime not even work. The only way to force it is to download something by the same artist from the store. The artist artwork will come with it. Try the 30 days xbox music pass. Some artist artwork download almost immediately without forcing them to. I tried all ID3.x and they all seem to be supported. What's interesting is that even if Xbox Music download the album art and recognize your album, it doesn't guarantee that the artist artwork will come. There seem to be some kind of linking between your library and Xbox music. Without artist artwork and the "in store arrow" smart DJ will not work.

Nobody seems to have replied to me at all regarding the ability to jump to a certain point in a song. Is that not possible?
    Aside from holding FF or REW, there's no way from moving to a certain point in the song. There's no cursor to drag, and clicking on the timeline doesn't do anything.

I got this from support

" Ok, this is a common issue, what you need to do is sync your phone to your PC and the metadata will update a few hours after syncing. It is a bug we are having at the moment with the Xbox music, the technical team are working on it."

Same problem with messed up tags here as soon as I enable the option to download additional meta data from xbox music. This is quite disappointing and makes me wonder how this could have slipped by Microsoft. Now we are left with gray livetiles, backgrounds and lockscreens.

Some other important information for Mac users:

- if you would like to use Apple Lossless audio on your device you are apparently out of luck: Tough it may seem as if the device syncs ALAC files flawlessly, you will notice thta the file size on the device is much smaller. There is obviously some transcoding in the background - however I can't tell to which format but the size of 1 minute of audio seems to equal 1 MB.

- even if you correctly embedded album artwork into the files (as opposed to the iTunes way of storing it elsewhere), those covers will only get transfered to the device during a second sync and after restarting both iTunes and the connector app. That means to get your music onto the phone as it should be, you need one sync for the music itself, restart both apps and sync again, this time obviously faster, and now the artwork should appear on the device.

If your library doesn't live in the standard user folder be sure to grant access to your music folder (see file menu). So, if you get crashes or failed syncs add your folder - the app doesn't inform you about you those issues and leaves you guessing. The reason for this requirement are limitations with sandboxing for app store distributed apps.

Overall this feels quite amateurish and I'm not sure if Microsoft is interested in improving the experience on a Mac at all.

I really like the device and the OS but those issues are major to me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast