Anyone coming from a galaxy nexus or gs3?

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if anyone here has a wp8 phone and is coming from a gs3 or gnex, if so how do u like it in comparison.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

stui83

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if anyone here has a wp8 phone and is coming from a gs3 or gnex, if so how do u like it in comparison.

I've temporarily gone from WP7.5 to GS3.

The GS3 is a really 'handy' piece of android trash. However it lacks the sophistication of WP.

If I was to give up the GS3 for a WP8 then I would miss the:
- emulators (calulators, DOS, Trekking GPS, games etc),
- battery usage customization
- USB on the go (OTG)
- bluetooth keyboard support
- Mouse support
- PS3 controller support
- File management ability
- MHL video out

Things I miss about WP
- sleek UI
- useful email notifications (android is hopeless)
- immersive apps
- people hub
- rooms (never used yet would miss)
- kids corner (never used yet would miss)
- WP community
- interesting looking hardware

Essentially, I'm not moving back to WP until the functionality of Windows RT is on the Windows Phone OS (i.e. USB drivers, Office 2013, HDMI output). I was expecting this functionality in WP7, slightly disappointed in MS there. I'm very interested in WP doing well, it is a far superior experience than android or iphone. I just wish the evolution would be a little quicker.

Cornbean7077

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've gone the opposite of the above post. I bought a galaxy s3 a few months ago, while my parents got 2 lumia 900's. After a month or two of the galaxy s3, I finally convinced my mom to trade with me. Don't get me wrong, the galaxy s3 is a wonderful piece of hardware, the screen is gorgeous, pentile or not, and is very lightweight. But I just couldn't take android anymore. And yes, I even installed stock jelly bean through root, and still found it annoying. So it's been almost 2 months with the lumia 900 and I haven't looked back! :D and to top things off, I just ordered me a sexy new Surface ;)
Now if only i had another $600 lying around for a wp8 device, I'd be in Microsoft nirvanna ;P

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had the G3 for a week, then went back to 7.5 . Holding an Android device always reminds why I dont want to touch it. I thought that google has fixed ram problems but that's a no. Apps still run in the background and need to be killed manually. The colors UI is crisp, but suffers from the same thing all android platforms suffer from which is lack of organization. Ok I should stop talking about it now.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
GS3 (Last android device I will ever own I swear!) to an iPhone 5 (Still like iOS but I just miss WP) and next phone will be an HTC 8X!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of burnt on HTC for hardware & support issues, but in terms of software and phone design it's a straight world-class upgrade! Good one ya for making the switch!

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I went from Lumia 900 to the Galaxy Nexus and will be getting the Lumia 920 as soon as it gets to my house. I will post thoughts between the Nexus and the 920 once I get it in my hands. It just took me so much longer to do simple things on the Galaxy Nexus. I can't wait to get back to WP.

RussST24

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have gone from a Galaxy Nexus to the HTC 8x.
(I also have a Nexus 7 tablet - which I think is why I am not so bothered).
Love using the 8x as my daily phone, yes its missing some apps and functionality compared with the Gnex but for me its no a deal breaker (yet.)
Missing Spotify (which was unexpected as its on 7.5) and missing a good navigation app but other than that I prefer the Windows 8 experience.

I think its going to be very dependent on your most used apps on how the experience is for the individual switcher.

for me my main need for apps is limited to.
Google Reader client
Podcast client
Audible
Evernote
Spotify (waiting on this one)
Navigation (waiting on this too)

Everything else I had installed on my Gnex didnt get used very often.

Russ

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I loved my nexus and love my gs3, but I'm ready for a change. As long as I have a sweet Google reader client and Google music app I should be fine. I really wish I could use zedge tho and set custom rings and text sounds with it. Lol

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I used a S3 since launch and just sold it, i will have my 920 next week and WP looks better than ever! The weight of the 920 is no problem since i am 28yo man and not a 6yo girl, also apps from iOS/Android will become available soon on WP8.

mbmullins76

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I went from a gnex to a Lumia 900 and now to a 920. I canceled my Spotify sub and got the Zune (Xbox music) pass instead when I went to the 900. I love the smart DJ playlist the Zune pass will do.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb