Problem Getting My Music Onto WP8 HTC 8X

IEvil IMonkey

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to put my music on my new WP8 HTC 8X but having some issues at the moment.

I've plugged the phone into my laptop and it shows as an external hd as it should but when I transfer a file over it only transfers a % of the file ie I have an artist file with 4 albums in and yet when I drag and drop it into my phone only 2 albums will make it across.

I've tried it a few times but get the same results. I've even tried transferring them 1 at a time but still the same 2 of the 4 will transfer.

This also happens with a few artists with only 1 album in a file..... It shows the file transfering over/into the phone but when I disconnect the phone the file/album isn't there in the music section!

Anybody any ideas please as it's driving me crazy? It worked fine for my ringtones/videos and pics

I'm on Vista and was under the impression I'd have to download some sort of interface for this (like Zune was used for my WP7) but never got any notice of anything available and just a new window asking how to open the device to view the files on it

IEvil IMonkey

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There is an app for that! Try out this software to sync WP8 to Vista/Win7/Win8: Windows Phone Support | Xbox LIVE, Windows Live, & Zune | Windows Phone 7 | Windows Phone (United States)

It's not the solution Zune was.. it's more like a connector application. It's supposed to work with iTunes.

Alternatively, I've heard if you use Windows Media Player and treat the phone like a random mp3 player, that'll work too.
Will give it a try in the morning thanks

If not, I'll post back tomorrow

IEvil IMonkey

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok its not working... when I go to intall the app it says "Installation Of Windows Phone is not supported on server operating systems"

WTF????
Ok it turns out the HTC 8X doesn't support MPEG-4 audio (straight from a ripped CD) so looks like I have alot of converting to do!!! MP3 files are ok. So much for WP8 being easy to use haha

IEvil IMonkey

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know how they got on my usb in this format as I usually do everything as mp3
I just find it strange that a phone so high-tec only supports about 5/6 formats according to the HTC site

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to put my music on my new WP8 HTC 8X but having some issues at the moment.

I've plugged the phone into my laptop and it shows as an external hd as it should but when I transfer a file over it only transfers a % of the file ie I have an artist file with 4 albums in and yet when I drag and drop it into my phone only 2 albums will make it across.

I've tried it a few times but get the same results. I've even tried transferring them 1 at a time but still the same 2 of the 4 will transfer.

This also happens with a few artists with only 1 album in a file..... It shows the file transfering over/into the phone but when I disconnect the phone the file/album isn't there in the music section!

Anybody any ideas please as it's driving me crazy? It worked fine for my ringtones/videos and pics

I'm on Vista and was under the impression I'd have to download some sort of interface for this (like Zune was used for my WP7) but never got any notice of anything available and just a new window asking how to open the device to view the files on it
Ive had a problem with DRM conflicts between Zune pass and Xbox music. All my downloaded album from zune transferred over fine but when i went to play them every album came up with a DRM conflict and wouldnt play. Had to wait till i got home on wifi then attempt to play the albuim so the DRM conflict came up then go into xbox music store for it to tell me the album was already in my collection. Went back to the album and everything played fine. Wouldnt be that big a deal if it was only a couple of albums. Bit of a pain when I had to do it for 40 albums that i had transferred before i left work.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, codec support is sucky on these closed platforms. You'd think they would add the laundry list of compatibilities when they are locking up the system so tightly to get the best of both worlds, but no.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Every codec has a licensing fee associated. It doesn't make sense to support oddball ones that few people use, alas.
Are free codec packs for Windows illegal then? Never connected those dots.

EDIT: so, seems your statement is false. Hm.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/understanding-codecs.htm

Formats such as MKV are free for commercial distribution. I use the free Shark007 codec pack on my laptop and these filetypes are supported legally:

amr | mpc | ofr | divx | mka | ape | flac | evo | flv | m4b | mkv | ogg | ogv | ogm | rmvb | xvid

Sure, MPEG-4 and similar are licensed. But there are plenty of filetypes not supported that would not cost any ongoing investment past initial implementation.

Last edited:

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok it turns out the HTC 8X doesn't support MPEG-4 audio (straight from a ripped CD) so looks like I have alot of converting to do!!! MP3 files are ok. So much for WP8 being easy to use haha

i thought this was a load of crap so i went and looked at the htc 8x page... turns out i am correct. it DOES support mpeg-4 audio.

says right under the multimedia, .aac and .m4a are supported, and those are just standard mpeg 4 audio files.

perhaps you need to change the extention to .m4a instead of mp4.

IEvil IMonkey

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i thought this was a load of crap so i went and looked at the htc 8x page... turns out i am correct. it DOES support mpeg-4 audio.

says right under the multimedia, .aac and .m4a are supported, and those are just standard mpeg 4 audio files.

perhaps you need to change the extention to .m4a instead of mp4.
Well I didn't really know that mpeg-4 could be changed to .m4a did I!!! And neither did the clown at Windows Phone Support either haha

I looked on the HTC site and when I didn't see mpeg-4 listed (and the files didn't play on my 8X) I guess I was stuck what to do

And you expect me to trawl through almost a 1000 songs changing the extention on them all??

I'm coverting them all to mp3 now which seems the quickest way =)

Either way you look at it the 8X WILL NOT play them with the extention as mpeg-4

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Are free codec packs for Windows illegal then? Never connected those dots.

EDIT: so, seems your statement is false. Hm.

Understanding Codecs

Formats such as MKV are free for commercial distribution. I use the free Shark007 codec pack on my laptop and these filetypes are supported legally:

amr | mpc | ofr | divx | mka | ape | flac | evo | flv | m4b | mkv | ogg | ogv | ogm | rmvb | xvid

Sure, MPEG-4 and similar are licensed. But there are plenty of filetypes not supported that would not cost any ongoing investment past initial implementation.

There is a difference between licenses to produce files (typically free) and licenses to produce codecs (which is where ALL the license money is made).

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
There is a difference between licenses to produce files (typically free) and licenses to produce codecs (which is where ALL the license money is made).
What are you talking about? We are discussing codec support for media playback. That's the exact functionality that codec packs provide, for free. No charge for distribution of the codecs themselves.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I didn't really know that mpeg-4 could be changed to .m4a did I!!! And neither did the clown at Windows Phone Support either haha

I looked on the HTC site and when I didn't see mpeg-4 listed (and the files didn't play on my 8X) I guess I was stuck what to do

And you expect me to trawl through almost a 1000 songs changing the extention on them all??

I'm coverting them all to mp3 now which seems the quickest way =)

Either way you look at it the 8X WILL NOT play them with the extention as mpeg-4

MPEG-4 can have .mp4 or .m4a extensions, among others. The latter is the most popular of both. I prefer my music in MP3 format, but it comes down to personal preference.

You can use a program like ReName to batch edit your files and change the extension in a matter of seconds. I use it for any rename operation I may need.

ReNamer ? Products ? den4b.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)