XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. IEvil IMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I'm trying to put my music on my new WP8 HTC 8X but having some issues at the moment.

    I've plugged the phone into my laptop and it shows as an external hd as it should but when I transfer a file over it only transfers a % of the file ie I have an artist file with 4 albums in and yet when I drag and drop it into my phone only 2 albums will make it across.

    I've tried it a few times but get the same results. I've even tried transferring them 1 at a time but still the same 2 of the 4 will transfer.

    This also happens with a few artists with only 1 album in a file..... It shows the file transfering over/into the phone but when I disconnect the phone the file/album isn't there in the music section!

    Anybody any ideas please as it's driving me crazy? It worked fine for my ringtones/videos and pics

    I'm on Vista and was under the impression I'd have to download some sort of interface for this (like Zune was used for my WP7) but never got any notice of anything available and just a new window asking how to open the device to view the files on it
  2. awesomeplant's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    There is an app for that! Try out this software to sync WP8 to Vista/Win7/Win8: Windows Phone Support | Xbox LIVE, Windows Live, &amp; Zune | Windows Phone 7 | Windows Phone (United States)

    It's not the solution Zune was.. it's more like a connector application. It's supposed to work with iTunes.

    Alternatively, I've heard if you use Windows Media Player and treat the phone like a random mp3 player, that'll work too.
  3. IEvil IMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeplant View Post
    There is an app for that! Try out this software to sync WP8 to Vista/Win7/Win8: Windows Phone Support | Xbox LIVE, Windows Live, &amp; Zune | Windows Phone 7 | Windows Phone (United States)

    It's not the solution Zune was.. it's more like a connector application. It's supposed to work with iTunes.

    Alternatively, I've heard if you use Windows Media Player and treat the phone like a random mp3 player, that'll work too.
    Will give it a try in the morning thanks

    If not, I'll post back tomorrow
  4. IEvil IMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by IEvil IMonkey View Post
    Will give it a try in the morning thanks

    If not, I'll post back tomorrow
    Ok its not working... when I go to intall the app it says "Installation Of Windows Phone is not supported on server operating systems"

    WTF????
  5. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    871 Posts
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Lol.

    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
  6. IEvil IMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by IEvil IMonkey View Post
    Ok its not working... when I go to intall the app it says "Installation Of Windows Phone is not supported on server operating systems"

    WTF????
    Ok it turns out the HTC 8X doesn't support MPEG-4 audio (straight from a ripped CD) so looks like I have alot of converting to do!!! MP3 files are ok. So much for WP8 being easy to use haha
  7. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    People rip as MP3, you know.
  8. IEvil IMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #8  
    I don't even know how they got on my usb in this format as I usually do everything as mp3
    I just find it strange that a phone so high-tec only supports about 5/6 formats according to the HTC site
  9. freestaterocker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,679 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Over of my collection is MP4 and it plays fine on my HD7... Weird.
  10. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,777 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by IEvil IMonkey View Post
    I'm trying to put my music on my new WP8 HTC 8X but having some issues at the moment.

    I've plugged the phone into my laptop and it shows as an external hd as it should but when I transfer a file over it only transfers a % of the file ie I have an artist file with 4 albums in and yet when I drag and drop it into my phone only 2 albums will make it across.

    I've tried it a few times but get the same results. I've even tried transferring them 1 at a time but still the same 2 of the 4 will transfer.

    This also happens with a few artists with only 1 album in a file..... It shows the file transfering over/into the phone but when I disconnect the phone the file/album isn't there in the music section!

    Anybody any ideas please as it's driving me crazy? It worked fine for my ringtones/videos and pics

    I'm on Vista and was under the impression I'd have to download some sort of interface for this (like Zune was used for my WP7) but never got any notice of anything available and just a new window asking how to open the device to view the files on it
    Ive had a problem with DRM conflicts between Zune pass and Xbox music. All my downloaded album from zune transferred over fine but when i went to play them every album came up with a DRM conflict and wouldnt play. Had to wait till i got home on wifi then attempt to play the albuim so the DRM conflict came up then go into xbox music store for it to tell me the album was already in my collection. Went back to the album and everything played fine. Wouldnt be that big a deal if it was only a couple of albums. Bit of a pain when I had to do it for 40 albums that i had transferred before i left work.
  11. IEvil IMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    Tell me about it. Would like to know if anyone else has these issues with the 8X
  12. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Yeah, codec support is sucky on these closed platforms. You'd think they would add the laundry list of compatibilities when they are locking up the system so tightly to get the best of both worlds, but no.
  13. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Every codec has a licensing fee associated. It doesn't make sense to support oddball ones that few people use, alas.
  14. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Every codec has a licensing fee associated. It doesn't make sense to support oddball ones that few people use, alas.
    Are free codec packs for Windows illegal then? Never connected those dots.

    EDIT: so, seems your statement is false. Hm.

    http://www.techsupportalert.com/unde...ing-codecs.htm

    Formats such as MKV are free for commercial distribution. I use the free Shark007 codec pack on my laptop and these filetypes are supported legally:

    amr | mpc | ofr | divx | mka | ape | flac | evo | flv | m4b | mkv | ogg | ogv | ogm | rmvb | xvid

    Sure, MPEG-4 and similar are licensed. But there are plenty of filetypes not supported that would not cost any ongoing investment past initial implementation.
    Last edited by irlju; 11-06-2012 at 08:47 PM.
  15. graigsmith's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by IEvil IMonkey View Post
    Ok it turns out the HTC 8X doesn't support MPEG-4 audio (straight from a ripped CD) so looks like I have alot of converting to do!!! MP3 files are ok. So much for WP8 being easy to use haha

    i thought this was a load of crap so i went and looked at the htc 8x page... turns out i am correct. it DOES support mpeg-4 audio.

    says right under the multimedia, .aac and .m4a are supported, and those are just standard mpeg 4 audio files.

    perhaps you need to change the extention to .m4a instead of mp4.
  16. IEvil IMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by graigsmith View Post
    i thought this was a load of crap so i went and looked at the htc 8x page... turns out i am correct. it DOES support mpeg-4 audio.

    says right under the multimedia, .aac and .m4a are supported, and those are just standard mpeg 4 audio files.

    perhaps you need to change the extention to .m4a instead of mp4.
    Well I didn't really know that mpeg-4 could be changed to .m4a did I!!! And neither did the clown at Windows Phone Support either haha

    I looked on the HTC site and when I didn't see mpeg-4 listed (and the files didn't play on my 8X) I guess I was stuck what to do

    And you expect me to trawl through almost a 1000 songs changing the extention on them all??

    I'm coverting them all to mp3 now which seems the quickest way =)

    Either way you look at it the 8X WILL NOT play them with the extention as mpeg-4
    Last edited by IEvil IMonkey; 11-07-2012 at 08:58 PM.
  17. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Are free codec packs for Windows illegal then? Never connected those dots.

    EDIT: so, seems your statement is false. Hm.

    Understanding Codecs

    Formats such as MKV are free for commercial distribution. I use the free Shark007 codec pack on my laptop and these filetypes are supported legally:

    amr | mpc | ofr | divx | mka | ape | flac | evo | flv | m4b | mkv | ogg | ogv | ogm | rmvb | xvid

    Sure, MPEG-4 and similar are licensed. But there are plenty of filetypes not supported that would not cost any ongoing investment past initial implementation.
    There is a difference between licenses to produce files (typically free) and licenses to produce codecs (which is where ALL the license money is made).
  18. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    There is a difference between licenses to produce files (typically free) and licenses to produce codecs (which is where ALL the license money is made).
    What are you talking about? We are discussing codec support for media playback. That's the exact functionality that codec packs provide, for free. No charge for distribution of the codecs themselves.
  19. ajua's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    618 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by IEvil IMonkey View Post
    Well I didn't really know that mpeg-4 could be changed to .m4a did I!!! And neither did the clown at Windows Phone Support either haha

    I looked on the HTC site and when I didn't see mpeg-4 listed (and the files didn't play on my 8X) I guess I was stuck what to do

    And you expect me to trawl through almost a 1000 songs changing the extention on them all??

    I'm coverting them all to mp3 now which seems the quickest way =)

    Either way you look at it the 8X WILL NOT play them with the extention as mpeg-4
    MPEG-4 can have .mp4 or .m4a extensions, among others. The latter is the most popular of both. I prefer my music in MP3 format, but it comes down to personal preference.

    You can use a program like ReName to batch edit your files and change the extension in a matter of seconds. I use it for any rename operation I may need.

    ReNamer Products den4b.com
  20. stenrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  

Posting Permissions