Ok, this might be a totally ignorant/noob question, but here it goes.

If a phone has NFC capabilities, do you need an NFC SIM card to use NFC?

Is NFC a technology of the phone or of the SIM card? Or is the NFC SIM card just 'more secure' than a regular SIM Card (and if so, how/why?).

If you need an NFC SIM card to use NFC, should I expect AT&T (my carrier) to give me one for free when I purchase my new phone (Lumia 920)?

I'm really trying to understand this NFC thing, it's completely new to me and I'd like to take advantage of it.

Thank you!
    11-05-2012 10:59 PM
    No, NFC is a hardware feature, just like Bluetooth. It stands for Near Field Communication. It allows you to perform operations with special tags in very close proximity. About a couple inches. Such as paying for something by putting your phone close to a pad that can read NFC info. I have no experience with NFC Sims, but you do not need one to use NFC on your phone. Hope that helps you.
    11-05-2012 11:28 PM
    NFC simcards are used for mobile payments.

NFC itself is a whole lot of stuff which works without a special SIM... problem being most people think NFC is only for payments.

I used NFC for a year now on my bold 9900 for changing settings at work, home, car etc
    11-06-2012 12:51 AM
    Thank you for the replies.

I'd like to use the Wallet app along with NFC, so I'm thinking a secure/NFC SIM would be preferred. Although I don't know exactly what the difference is between a secure/NFC SIM and a regular one is.
    11-06-2012 01:52 AM
    Yeah, as mentioned, the NFC SIMs are often (always?) required for mobile payments are they are safer.

Sadly, theres like 0 implementations of NFC in Finland this far. It's weird.
    11-06-2012 02:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD