Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    now, is there any reason I can't copy a .pdf to my phone? from my windows 8 pc. I have a ton of .txt files for how to stuff and network CLI commands I like to keep with me for easy reference. The more I read, the more it seems like there a just a few basic things I don't want "in the cloud". I am very often in a place with no signal and no network, cause I'm there to fix the network and would like to have a few files on my phone. Just seems silly and short sighted.

and the .wav issue.. if over half the cisco phone systems and alot of other phone systems .wav voice mails can't be played, that is just plain short sighted. pay the fraction of a cent per phone to license the wav codec and move on, this is supposed to be a business phone, not a kids toy. If MS wants an integrated platform they have to expect business users to be able to do business work. It's just basic. I can only hope that all our griping here get MS to see that so they can fix a few minor issues (I could care less about the app of the day, i'm talking about saving a .pdf to phone storage here and playing a .wav file, stuff I've been able to do since my palm and WM treos).

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Because the file explorer on iOS is fantastic

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhguth View Post
    Because the file explorer on iOS is fantastic
    Yes iFile is amazing. It's $4 if you want all the features but the free version still gets the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakkaimono View Post
    Really? So they did a backward step in this regard? Pdf files that were opened on a wp7 device would be automatically saved to the office hub.
    Random PDFs accessed through the web never showed up automatically in the Office hub in my WP7 usage. I'm pretty sure they get saved to the isolated storage of Adobe Reader, the PDFs in the Office hub were stored in SkyDrive.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8957 View Post
    I have a Lumia 920. I have installed the PDF reader app. It doesn't work well at all. I have only been able to get it to view one simple PDF (single page) that I created using Word on my PC. I was hoping to be able to view PDF magazines on my phone, the PDF reader won't open them. I tried taking the magazine PDF and using a PDF print driver printing it down to a simpler PDF, but it still won't open them. Transferred the files using skydrive.

Really need a good PDF reader here.
    Same problem. Even if it can read the .pdf file, it doesn't showed correctly.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FinancialP View Post
    Yes iFile is amazing. It's $4 if you want all the features but the free version still gets the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iFile and similar apps are not file explorers, they don't let you browse through everything like you could on a computer or Android. They just organize things you upload into it, and you can make a similar app for WP8.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    iFile and similar apps are not file explorers, they don't let you browse through everything like you could on a computer or Android. They just organize things you upload into it, and you can make a similar app for WP8.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. I used to like reading these forums but it's answers like these that has me commenting now.

Ifile is a full file explorer. Let's you browse EVERYTHING.

If I remember correctly, I did a drag and drop from my Win 7 Desktop to Skydrive. I can open it with PDF Reader on my Lumia 920. What else were you looking to test?

edit: The PDF I downloaded to skydrive and viewed on my phone is a 200+ page car users manual.
    Last edited by Mark Rozanski; 01-09-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    We are moving away from file systems in case you haven't noticed that trend, it started with the use of libraries.
    What ? "We" is who exactly ?

When a person edits a file, and wants to send that file to another person/persons or hosting service, it should be THEIR CHOICE to do with it whatever they like, wherever they like.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
    WPhoney likes this.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Operating systems are. It started subtly with the introduction of libraries instead of only directories. Now we have integration of cloud services to save documents directly to Skydrive and other services, Windows 8 Storage Spaces, etc... Combine that with mobile device UI's and we are moving away from a transparent directory system to a more intuitive system where things are just shown where they need to be (regardless of where they are). That's the direction we are headed, it doesn't matter what directory a song is it just shows up in Music or where an Excel file is it just shows up in Documents, etc...
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    Operating systems are. It started subtly with the introduction of libraries instead of only directories. Now we have integration of cloud services to save documents directly to Skydrive and other services, Windows 8 Storage Spaces, etc... Combine that with mobile device UI's and we are moving away from a transparent directory system to a more intuitive system where things are just shown where they need to be (regardless of where they are). That's the direction we are headed, it doesn't matter what directory a song is it just shows up in Music or where an Excel file is it just shows up in Documents, etc...
    I didn't mean to hit the thanks button.

Just stop, you have no clue again. That doesn't even make sense what you have typed.

Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    a library is just a view for a known location of searched directories.
    I don't want a pdf on the sky drive. I keep, for example, fishing regulation with me for fishing references. Most of the time when I'm out on a lake in BFE i'm not about to have data service to pull something from the magic sky god that houses my data, I want it on the phone, so when i'm heading to a lake, I can pull down that lakes regulations, and when I am on the lake I have it for reference on my phone.

Just seems silly and short sighted for the enterprise to not be able to download, store or share (email or download from email or web) supported apps they we have for 10 years on windows mobile smart phones.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    That makes no sense. Directories are where files are. A directory that is shared with external services (whoevers service it is) is still user accessible in sane environments.

If the system was intuitive, there would not be threads questioning "where are my music playlists!?!?", or "why can't I save a pdf to blah", or "why doesn't x file show up in y app ?!" as so many questions happen here.

example:
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=201562
    Downloaded files. where are you...

Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    Exactly, even if the .pdf shows up in the pdf reader, or music shows up in music player, I should be able to transfer a file to my phone. I manage my music on my PC and just have a music folder on my phone, it's how I've done it since 2006 on my treo, with every phone OS I've ever had, I can also move and delete documents I want on my storage this way. just seems like they are killing any chance at major enterprise adoption if you can't handle documents in the most basic of ways. it should not be hard to know if you downloaded a pdf or sales presentation or reference document that you know where it is and you can later email it directly (not share through some magic data portal) or delete it.
    This is and the .wav issues are my only real concern for adoption of this phone by me. I wouldn't think in 2013 I would have to worry about what files my phone would let me download or email around.
    Thanked by:
    ohgood 

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    That makes no sense. Directories are where files are. A directory that is shared with external services (whoevers service it is) is still user accessible in sane environments.
    \
    duh, and its moving behind the scenes. it started slowly with libraries and has only kept going.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    \
    duh, and its moving behind the scenes. it started slowly with libraries and has only kept going.
    duh is moving behind the scenes ?

No thanks, just let me have the files.

(WP8) If you are opening PDF's from IE, you can allow them to open in MS PDF reader, press hardware back key, then from IE AppBar (...)>Share. IE keeps the link in the address bar when you return to it. Email it to yourself and open on your PC. Sure not as smooth as just Share to Skydrive but it'll work.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FinancialP View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about. I used to like reading these forums but it's answers like these that has me commenting now.

Ifile is a full file explorer. Let's you browse EVERYTHING.
    Nothing from the App Store has that kind of root access on iOS, including the official sanctioned version of iFile. But no, congratulations, you have root access on your jailbroken iPhone and installed iFile from Cydia. I'm sure my "jailbroken" Omnia 7 can't do the same thing... oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    What ? "We" is who exactly ?
    Perhaps jhguth failed to properly communicate his point. We are moving towards a future where the file system isn't user-facing, he's not talking about the fundamentals of what a file system is being dissolved. Who is we? We is grandmas using iPads. We is grandsons using iPhones. We is us using Windows Phones. We is even those using Android phones, who hardly ever jump into a file explorer. We is Surface owners, who don't have a Metro file explorer.

The future is, you open the word processor and you have all those documents shown. You open photos, same thing. This is the future - no putting a bunch of files in arbitrary folders in arbitrary locations. Hopefully there's still a chance we get custom folders within those individual apps - if not, some useful sorting tools - but even that's on the table. In the long run, this is far better for the average user than the user-facing file explorers you see in Windows, OS X and Android. Show someone who is essentially tech illiterate Windows and Windows Explorer and see how they fare tackling it by themselves. It's an incredibly steep learning curve.

Right now, we're definitely not at the stage where such a system is painless - quite the opposite. Yes, you should be able to transfer a file from your computer to your phone and have the right app access it... but that doesn't mean what you'd traditionally expect. It might just be one big folder called documents that you put your PDFs into, or maybe even just one folder where everything goes - which is then "sorted" automatically. Then, it's a matter of apps having access to that central storage, or for the phone to intelligently tag or move the transferred file to a place where the app can find it.

The annoyances are something that need to be ironed out, not something to turn us away from the idea altogether.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Nothing from the App Store has that kind of root access on iOS, including the official sanctioned version of iFile. But no, congratulations, you have root access on your jailbroken iPhone and installed iFile from Cydia. I'm sure my "jailbroken" Omnia 7 can't do the same thing... oh wait.
    Congratulations you did a little(emphasis on little) research. No your Omnia 7 can't, sure it'll browse files but that's about it. Jaibroken Omnia is laughable.

Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    AngryNil, one big folder called "user files" would be fine for me. I can sort for types. I'm just shocked I can't save and email something as simple and harmless as a pdf from a smartphone in 2013. I really really want to get a windows phone, but I have a few features I have to have for my job, and that I would like to have for personal use. One is playing a .wav voicemail. Second is the ability to use my phone storage to store document and a few critical files and to be able to download and email a document. I know there are crazy other ways to do it, but as you say, I shouldn't have to spin in a circle left 3 times to know the magic method to get a link into sky drive and then send a link.. I don't want to send sky drive links to clients for stuff when I'm remote seems... obtuse.. especially against something as simple as "long press save" open pdf reader (I don't HAVE to have a browser if does it), find the file long press "share" choose email.. then they have the file, not some link that 2 days from know I delete, forgetting it was for them..

I know I'm being picky, and I know the new OS is leaps and bounds better than 7.X, but there a few things, that really should get fixed.. I should be able to email a picture at full res.. I should be able to email a document, I have email.. but they are trying to make it a sky drive and facebook link share.. which I get. I've started using sky drive for a few things, it's neat, they have some nice features.. but businesses email.. email everything under 10 MB (or more a lot of places now), so let me just send an email and be done.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Perhaps jhguth failed to properly communicate his point. We are moving towards a future where the file system isn't user-facing, he's not talking about the fundamentals of what a file system is being dissolved.
    [...]
    exactly, thank you.
    my point was that instead of saying "i want full access to the files ystem like its 1998!" we should be saying "this current system needs to work better!" I think its still missing a lot of things, but I think navigating folders for organization is not the answer, especially so on small touchscreen devices.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Libraries started with what, Vista? Just keep holding onto the 90's man.

Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    Like I said, I could care less if I can't browse it on the phone. It still won't let me save something locally, and then email it back out.

I read of another user that could not hook is phone as USB storage and copy a pdf to it... really!? if true, it is disheartening that windows, king of "do what you want" has gone so far the other way that an iphone looks open in comparison. lock me out of the folders the system users, don't need it, but I do need to be able to save some files.. just save a pdf, from an email or the internet, maybe put a pdf or word doc on the phone for reference.. is that so unreasonable?

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    exactly, thank you.
    my point was that instead of saying "i want full access to the files ystem like its 1998!" we should be saying "this current system needs to work better!" I think its still missing a lot of things, but I think navigating folders for organization is not the answer, especially so on small touchscreen devices.
    This is equivalent to dropping your keys, groceries, and appointment book down a laundry shoot. You hope the basement staff get it right, sort, package and deliver it to your apartment tomorrow morning in time for work.

Where the **** are my keys ? What was the name of the app that shows me my keys, since I don't know where they are stored again ?

Etc

I have a few apps that scan the sdcard (another hot topic!) And display what relevant files they find. Video players, video editors, document editors, etc. Its neat, **** when its time to acutally EMAIL, mms, upload or SYNC the files, id like to know it actually is possible, instead of probable.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneZone View Post
    a DLL could be considered a library, so they have been around since the dawn of the GUI

that doesn't excuse a lack of function and I don't know why you are committed to this idea that it does
    A DLL is a library. It stands for Dynamic Link Library.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast