The .pdf problem...

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll eat my words for now, but I won't choke on them. I'm viewing my 20MB 600 page pdfs fine using MS's PDF viewer. Had to email them to access them though. Could not just do a USB file transfer from PC.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
We are moving away from file systems in case you haven't noticed that trend, it started with the use of libraries.

Last edited:

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
We are moving away from file systems in case you haven't noticed that trend, it started with the use of libraries.

I would define "we". I work IT, and I HATE, LOATHE and DESPISE when people have no idea where their data is, you can't properly manage or backup data if it is just magically associated with an application.

I am crazy excited to get a windows phone, but if they don't fix 2 things by the time my contract is up, android it will be for me, one: fix the .wav issue
two: I better be able to put files on my phone if I want, save files from an email on my phone, and download files to my phone. It's mine, not yours, you let me do what I want with my storage.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I would define "we". I work IT, and I HATE, LOATHE and DESPISE when people have no idea where their data is, you can't properly manage or backup data if it is just magically associated with an application.

I am crazy excited to get a windows phone, but if they don't fix 2 things by the time my contract is up, android it will be for me, one: fix the .wav issue
two: I better be able to put files on my phone if I want, save files from an email on my phone, and download files to my phone. It's mine, not yours, you let me do what I want with my storage.
Have fun with your upcoming Android phone.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
now, is there any reason I can't copy a .pdf to my phone? from my windows 8 pc. I have a ton of .txt files for how to stuff and network CLI commands I like to keep with me for easy reference. The more I read, the more it seems like there a just a few basic things I don't want "in the cloud". I am very often in a place with no signal and no network, cause I'm there to fix the network and would like to have a few files on my phone. Just seems silly and short sighted.

and the .wav issue.. if over half the cisco phone systems and alot of other phone systems .wav voice mails can't be played, that is just plain short sighted. pay the fraction of a cent per phone to license the wav codec and move on, this is supposed to be a business phone, not a kids toy. If MS wants an integrated platform they have to expect business users to be able to do business work. It's just basic. I can only hope that all our griping here get MS to see that so they can fix a few minor issues (I could care less about the app of the day, i'm talking about saving a .pdf to phone storage here and playing a .wav file, stuff I've been able to do since my palm and WM treos).

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Really? So they did a backward step in this regard? Pdf files that were opened on a wp7 device would be automatically saved to the office hub.
Random PDFs accessed through the web never showed up automatically in the Office hub in my WP7 usage. I'm pretty sure they get saved to the isolated storage of Adobe Reader, the PDFs in the Office hub were stored in SkyDrive.

tositem

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920. I have installed the PDF reader app. It doesn't work well at all. I have only been able to get it to view one simple PDF (single page) that I created using Word on my PC. I was hoping to be able to view PDF magazines on my phone, the PDF reader won't open them. I tried taking the magazine PDF and using a PDF print driver printing it down to a simpler PDF, but it still won't open them. Transferred the files using skydrive.

Really need a good PDF reader here.

Same problem. Even if it can read the .pdf file, it doesn't showed correctly.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes iFile is amazing. It's $4 if you want all the features but the free version still gets the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iFile and similar apps are not file explorers, they don't let you browse through everything like you could on a computer or Android. They just organize things you upload into it, and you can make a similar app for WP8.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
iFile and similar apps are not file explorers, they don't let you browse through everything like you could on a computer or Android. They just organize things you upload into it, and you can make a similar app for WP8.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I used to like reading these forums but it's answers like these that has me commenting now.

Ifile is a full file explorer. Let's you browse EVERYTHING.

Mark Rozanski

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
If I remember correctly, I did a drag and drop from my Win 7 Desktop to Skydrive. I can open it with PDF Reader on my Lumia 920. What else were you looking to test?

edit: The PDF I downloaded to skydrive and viewed on my phone is a 200+ page car users manual.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

What ? "We" is who exactly ?

When a person edits a file, and wants to send that file to another person/persons or hosting service, it should be THEIR CHOICE to do with it whatever they like, wherever they like.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Operating systems are. It started subtly with the introduction of libraries instead of only directories. Now we have integration of cloud services to save documents directly to Skydrive and other services, Windows 8 Storage Spaces, etc... Combine that with mobile device UI's and we are moving away from a transparent directory system to a more intuitive system where things are just shown where they need to be (regardless of where they are). That's the direction we are headed, it doesn't matter what directory a song is it just shows up in Music or where an Excel file is it just shows up in Documents, etc...

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Operating systems are. It started subtly with the introduction of libraries instead of only directories. Now we have integration of cloud services to save documents directly to Skydrive and other services, Windows 8 Storage Spaces, etc... Combine that with mobile device UI's and we are moving away from a transparent directory system to a more intuitive system where things are just shown where they need to be (regardless of where they are). That's the direction we are headed, it doesn't matter what directory a song is it just shows up in Music or where an Excel file is it just shows up in Documents, etc...

I didn't mean to hit the thanks button.

Just stop, you have no clue again. That doesn't even make sense what you have typed.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
a library is just a view for a known location of searched directories.
I don't want a pdf on the sky drive. I keep, for example, fishing regulation with me for fishing references. Most of the time when I'm out on a lake in BFE i'm not about to have data service to pull something from the magic sky god that houses my data, I want it on the phone, so when i'm heading to a lake, I can pull down that lakes regulations, and when I am on the lake I have it for reference on my phone.

Just seems silly and short sighted for the enterprise to not be able to download, store or share (email or download from email or web) supported apps they we have for 10 years on windows mobile smart phones.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

That makes no sense. Directories are where files are. A directory that is shared with external services (whoevers service it is) is still user accessible in sane environments.

If the system was intuitive, there would not be threads questioning "where are my music playlists!?!?", or "why can't I save a pdf to blah", or "why doesn't x file show up in y app ?!" as so many questions happen here.

example:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=201562
Downloaded files. where are you...

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, even if the .pdf shows up in the pdf reader, or music shows up in music player, I should be able to transfer a file to my phone. I manage my music on my PC and just have a music folder on my phone, it's how I've done it since 2006 on my treo, with every phone OS I've ever had, I can also move and delete documents I want on my storage this way. just seems like they are killing any chance at major enterprise adoption if you can't handle documents in the most basic of ways. it should not be hard to know if you downloaded a pdf or sales presentation or reference document that you know where it is and you can later email it directly (not share through some magic data portal) or delete it.
This is and the .wav issues are my only real concern for adoption of this phone by me. I wouldn't think in 2013 I would have to worry about what files my phone would let me download or email around.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That makes no sense. Directories are where files are. A directory that is shared with external services (whoevers service it is) is still user accessible in sane environments.
\
duh, and its moving behind the scenes. it started slowly with libraries and has only kept going.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3