The .pdf problem...

tomxteam

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
(WP8) If you are opening PDF's from IE, you can allow them to open in MS PDF reader, press hardware back key, then from IE AppBar (...)>Share. IE keeps the link in the address bar when you return to it. Email it to yourself and open on your PC. Sure not as smooth as just Share to Skydrive but it'll work.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You have no idea what you are talking about. I used to like reading these forums but it's answers like these that has me commenting now.

Ifile is a full file explorer. Let's you browse EVERYTHING.
Nothing from the App Store has that kind of root access on iOS, including the official sanctioned version of iFile. But no, congratulations, you have root access on your jailbroken iPhone and installed iFile from Cydia. I'm sure my "jailbroken" Omnia 7 can't do the same thing... oh wait.

What ? "We" is who exactly ?
Perhaps jhguth failed to properly communicate his point. We are moving towards a future where the file system isn't user-facing, he's not talking about the fundamentals of what a file system is being dissolved. Who is we? We is grandmas using iPads. We is grandsons using iPhones. We is us using Windows Phones. We is even those using Android phones, who hardly ever jump into a file explorer. We is Surface owners, who don't have a Metro file explorer.

The future is, you open the word processor and you have all those documents shown. You open photos, same thing. This is the future - no putting a bunch of files in arbitrary folders in arbitrary locations. Hopefully there's still a chance we get custom folders within those individual apps - if not, some useful sorting tools - but even that's on the table. In the long run, this is far better for the average user than the user-facing file explorers you see in Windows, OS X and Android. Show someone who is essentially tech illiterate Windows and Windows Explorer and see how they fare tackling it by themselves. It's an incredibly steep learning curve.

Right now, we're definitely not at the stage where such a system is painless - quite the opposite. Yes, you should be able to transfer a file from your computer to your phone and have the right app access it... but that doesn't mean what you'd traditionally expect. It might just be one big folder called documents that you put your PDFs into, or maybe even just one folder where everything goes - which is then "sorted" automatically. Then, it's a matter of apps having access to that central storage, or for the phone to intelligently tag or move the transferred file to a place where the app can find it.

The annoyances are something that need to be ironed out, not something to turn us away from the idea altogether.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Nothing from the App Store has that kind of root access on iOS, including the official sanctioned version of iFile. But no, congratulations, you have root access on your jailbroken iPhone and installed iFile from Cydia. I'm sure my "jailbroken" Omnia 7 can't do the same thing... oh wait.

Congratulations you did a little(emphasis on little) research. No your Omnia 7 can't, sure it'll browse files but that's about it. Jaibroken Omnia is laughable.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
AngryNil, one big folder called "user files" would be fine for me. I can sort for types. I'm just shocked I can't save and email something as simple and harmless as a pdf from a smartphone in 2013. I really really want to get a windows phone, but I have a few features I have to have for my job, and that I would like to have for personal use. One is playing a .wav voicemail. Second is the ability to use my phone storage to store document and a few critical files and to be able to download and email a document. I know there are crazy other ways to do it, but as you say, I shouldn't have to spin in a circle left 3 times to know the magic method to get a link into sky drive and then send a link.. I don't want to send sky drive links to clients for stuff when I'm remote seems... obtuse.. especially against something as simple as "long press save" open pdf reader (I don't HAVE to have a browser if does it), find the file long press "share" choose email.. then they have the file, not some link that 2 days from know I delete, forgetting it was for them..

I know I'm being picky, and I know the new OS is leaps and bounds better than 7.X, but there a few things, that really should get fixed.. I should be able to email a picture at full res.. I should be able to email a document, I have email.. but they are trying to make it a sky drive and facebook link share.. which I get. I've started using sky drive for a few things, it's neat, they have some nice features.. but businesses email.. email everything under 10 MB (or more a lot of places now), so let me just send an email and be done.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps jhguth failed to properly communicate his point. We are moving towards a future where the file system isn't user-facing, he's not talking about the fundamentals of what a file system is being dissolved.
[...]
exactly, thank you.
my point was that instead of saying "i want full access to the files ystem like its 1998!" we should be saying "this current system needs to work better!" I think its still missing a lot of things, but I think navigating folders for organization is not the answer, especially so on small touchscreen devices.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, I could care less if I can't browse it on the phone. It still won't let me save something locally, and then email it back out.

I read of another user that could not hook is phone as USB storage and copy a pdf to it... really!? if true, it is disheartening that windows, king of "do what you want" has gone so far the other way that an iphone looks open in comparison. lock me out of the folders the system users, don't need it, but I do need to be able to save some files.. just save a pdf, from an email or the internet, maybe put a pdf or word doc on the phone for reference.. is that so unreasonable?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
exactly, thank you.
my point was that instead of saying "i want full access to the files ystem like its 1998!" we should be saying "this current system needs to work better!" I think its still missing a lot of things, but I think navigating folders for organization is not the answer, especially so on small touchscreen devices.

This is equivalent to dropping your keys, groceries, and appointment book down a laundry shoot. You hope the basement staff get it right, sort, package and deliver it to your apartment tomorrow morning in time for work.

Where the **** are my keys ? What was the name of the app that shows me my keys, since I don't know where they are stored again ?

Etc

I have a few apps that scan the sdcard (another hot topic!) And display what relevant files they find. Video players, video editors, document editors, etc. Its neat, butt when its time to acutally EMAIL, mms, upload or SYNC the files, id like to know it actually is possible, instead of probable.

Tom Hebert

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I am with you all the way, and it would seem such a basic thing if Microsoft wants to pull millions of its customers using Office software on their desktops at the office and home into a Windows Phone environment. I rely on Office on my desktop and tablet for my small consulting business, and for years found the Blackberry with exchange server to be a more or less seamless way to do a vast amount of business while on the go. That Blackberry was a workhorse and maybe once in 5 years failed me. Perhaps the best piece of working technology I ever had. But in worrying about the future of Blackberry I went to Windows Phone...and by and large it is great, and I am fine with using Skydrive. But man, everyone I work with expects to get emails from me with attachments -- pdfs especially. And they don't want to have to go to some link in my skydrive to get it. This is such a basic, fundamental function in Office Outlook. How can you deny Windows phone users that function and expect business person using the Office suite of programs to be happy with the product? I really don't get it. Please Microsoft -- fix this.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am with you all the way, and it would seem such a basic thing if Microsoft wants to pull millions of its customers using Office software on their desktops at the office and home into a Windows Phone environment. I rely on Office on my desktop and tablet for my small consulting business, and for years found the Blackberry with exchange server to be a more or less seamless way to do a vast amount of business while on the go. That Blackberry was a workhorse and maybe once in 5 years failed me. Perhaps the best piece of working technology I ever had. But in worrying about the future of Blackberry I went to Windows Phone...and by and large it is great, and I am fine with using Skydrive. But man, everyone I work with expects to get emails from me with attachments -- pdfs especially. And they don't want to have to go to some link in my skydrive to get it. This is such a basic, fundamental function in Office Outlook. How can you deny Windows phone users that function and expect business person using the Office suite of programs to be happy with the product? I really don't get it. Please Microsoft -- fix this.

Would it make you any happier if I told you that you can't save a pdf from an email on iPhone 5? One more reason I maintain that Windows Mobile was worlds better than any other mobile OS as far as functionality.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The future is, you open the word processor and you have all those documents shown. You open photos, same thing. This is the future - no putting a bunch of files in arbitrary folders in arbitrary locations.

You don't seem to understand the meaning of the word arbitrary....

Tom Hebert

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Not really, but it is interesting and relevant. I went to the Windows 8 phone so that my work between my desktop, tablet (Surface Pro) and mobile could be seamless and straightforward where I need to be able to do work away from my desk a good deal. I want to avoid having to have a bunch of workarounds that I could never pull off. I never expected the iiPhone to do that and so I am not surprised to hear your report. But I did expect it from a Microsoft phone. Is it such a difficult thing to do to add that file storage functionality into the Windows Phone? Are there security issues being addressed by closing the door in this way? Were I able to forward an original email with a pdf attachment AND edit the text to strike that which was associated with the original email, that would be good enough. By the way...those arbitrary folder names aren't arbitrary to me. I know exactly how I structure those systems and I appreciate the feeling of knowing exactly where I put things without having to remember file names or having to search for keywords (which does sometimes come in handy. Am open to learning other methods, but there is nothing arbitrary about the current one as far as I am concerned.

Pratap Panja

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
If you want to save pdf file in your phone and read it at any time, it is so easy.
As I do -
Steps for W8: (I am using lumia 520)

Download the Adobe Reader app from store, its free.

After connect the W8 phone with your PC by data cable you can see the phone icon and the name of your phone in Windows Explorer. Just double click the phone icon and its open.

Just copy and paste the pdf file in the phone memory (because I have no external memory card), in the document folder.

After copy paste close the folder and return to your phone.

Go to phone menu and touch the Office icon.

Under the places you can see 4 options. 1. phone 2. email 3. SkyDrive 4. Office 365

Go with 1st option phone (document on your phone), touch it.

Now, under PHONE
documents
You can see the pdf file names. Just touch the file to open it.

It works with my phone, I hope it work same with your phone.
Photo0267.jpg
Photo0268.jpg
Photo0269.jpg

soapybacon

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
@Pratrap, That's great (wouldn't expect anything less)

Now how do I get the PDF that's attached to the email I've just received on my phone to that same Documents location on my phone without a laptop?

Regards

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
@Pratrap, That's great (wouldn't expect anything less)

Now how do I get the PDF that's attached to the email I've just received on my phone to that same Documents location on my phone without a laptop?

Regards

You get an Android, if this function is so important...

soapybacon

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Tom are you me! :smile:
I could not have put it better and you describe my situation to a tee even down to Blackberry.
Does anyone actually go to MS conferences and shout at them? because they sure as heck don't listen to user feedback.
It's just such a simple thing to fix yet look how long this thread has been going on for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills