What makes you excited about Windows Phone 8?

Jordan Miera

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey everybody!

The title pretty much says it. I will be working on an advertising project as part of one of my classes. I'd like to focus on Windows Phone 8. So I can get an idea what to focus on, could you please tell me what makes you excited about Windows Phone 8?

Thanks!

-J.D.M.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The fact that it works, when my current Android refuses to do anything.

But on a more practical level, I'm mostly excited about the Nokia exclusive transportation apps, the integration of my Microsoft account (contacts, email, etc.) with phone and computer, the people hub, groups, rooms, pretty much the whole thing. I can't wait until Friday :)

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The integration/synergies with the MS ecosystem (W8, Skydrive, Skype, etc). This is attractive in so many ways and now the potential just shot up exponentially as to what can be done on the platform. Along with native code support allowing for many things like more advanced games, networking apps, etc.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
1) Best 'experience' from a smartphone. The Live tiles make your home screen more interactive and provide more feedback/information than any other smartphone. The phone is 'alive' where other smartphones are dead.

2) Super quick OS. Even running on inferior hardware the Windows Phone OS runs smoother than the competition. If you think of the OS as the foundation, it's the strongest foundation of any OS.

3) Microsoft ecosystem. My wife and I both use windows phone 7.5 devices now (and getting 2 new lumia 920's on friday). We have all of our contacts, emails, calendar, social life sync'd up online. The shared calendar is 100% seamless making it extremely easy to coordinate events/etc with each other (or even leave notes for each other when we are apart! - Put something on my calendar either via my phone or email and it shows up on her phone immediately!). With the introduction of "ROOMS" on the WP8 it even improves on this experience!

4) The Apps! Tons of apps, we keep finding new apps that we didn't know we needed. :) Also, the phone integrates seamlessly with the Xbox 360, which is the only media device connected to our TV. We don't have cable tv, but thanks to the Xbox we can still watch netflix, youtube, HULU, Amazone Prime (instant movies), iheartradio, last.fm, etc, etc, etc. And all of that can be controlled via our Windows Phone(s).

5) NFC and the Wallet app. Now Windows Phone 8 almost completely replaces my physical wallet. I really hope the NFC technology grabs hold of the retail industry. Imagine not ever needing to carry a physical wallet anymore (other than for your ID) and being able to make all your purchases using your smartphone.

6) Kids Corner! Yes, seems a little gimmicky maybe, but seeing as how every single one of my friends is married with young kids this is a huge plus. Anytime I'm hanging out with my friends and their kids, the kids want to play with their parent's smartphone. I recently talked about the Kids Corner of Windows Phone 8 with some friends and they thought it was an excellent idea (and wished their phones had this!). A lot of complaints come from their kids messing up their phones when playing with them(which is often), but this wouldn't happen if they had kids corner.

I could go on and on. :)

EDIT: I forgot about the Skype integration. Being able to receive Skype calls even with the app turned off, and answer these calls just like you would a normal phone call is an awesome feature. I believe this means you can now makes calls via wi-fi and not be forced to use your phone data plan or minutes for skype calls (which also means you could use your phone out of country and still make calls for free!). Combine all of that with a forward facing camera and you are left with the ability to skype calls to any skype enabled device anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It has 0.5 more Windows Phone than Windows Phone 7.5 did.

nice one. I'm anxiously awaiting my extra .3 windows for my 900 :)

To the OP, the integration of services that reduce the need for some "apps" is not matched by the other phone OSes. Facebook, twitter, Skype, Xbox music, top notch mapping, skydrive, and xbox and it's cheevos are all baked into the OS right out of the box. There is also the excellent integration with the MS ecosystem; all my important files are on my phone, on my sky drive, and available on my PC.

Last edited:

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
For me it is the live tiles and the ecosystem.

I like how alive the homescreen feels and how clean it looks and how fast it reacts. It is both highly customizable but also I don't have to fight to make it look good. Let me contrast that with my android phone... I like android widgets, but they slow my phone down significantly and even worse they never look just right. The widgets all have different sizes and backgrounds and they do not fit in line with the shortcut icons or each other well. Live tiles always fit together.

Also there is some custom tile apps that let you put pictures of friends and family that flip on your screen. These pics look really cool when there are a few of these tiles all together that merge into the same picture. I have it set up nicely on my windows 8 computer and am looking forward to doing it on my phone. Contrast this to the photo widget on android, which uses significantly more phone memory and looks odd mixed among an assortment of buttons, icons, and widgets.

Now the ecosystem is really exciting too. I have been using skydrive and it is far better than any other cloud/sharing program I have used before. I have tried quite a few others. Skydrive is great because it simply works... It is like a folder on your computer. It really is. It is just so incredibly simple and wonderful. It is definitely one of those things I look back and wonder how I lived without. Also outlook is the same way... I used to have 5 different accounts going into Windows Mail and I could only check it from one computer. Now it all goes to my outlook.com account. All my devices can check my mail easily and when I view mail on one device it is made to 'read' on other devices. When I flag my mail on one device, it flags it on all of them. It seems like a simple thing but this MAKES OR BREAKS an ecosystem. It saves me time every single day. Also I have been using onenote a lot. Its rather good. I might get an xbox someday too and that all works with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills