Help an Android user decide?

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Good afternoon. I am a current Android user (HTC Sensation/T-Mobile) who is very excited about WP8. I keep going back and forth on which WP I want. I love the look of the HTC 8X and the extras that Verizon has reportedly planned for that handset (wireless charging, DataSense). But, I think I've talked myself into heading over to AT&T on Friday to get a Lumina 920.

But I still have a few concerns about moving to WP8. I'm hoping you fine folks can alleviate my concerns or at least tell me the workarounds for them?

No WiFi calling - I currently do not get a cell signal inside my brick home, but that's on T-Mobile. I use WiFi calling constantly when at home. I'm hoping AT&T's LTE will take care of this, but if not, is there a workaround to get wifi calling on WP?

WiFi disconnects when the handset is asleep - I just read about this little problem today and was stunned. How is this NOT an optional setting on WP?? Is there a fix in WP or at least a legit workaround for this? I found one article here about an app that seemed a bit shady (the comments there scared me off!). I guess I'm scared about being somewhere without a cell signal and unable to get SMS through wifi - but honestly I don't know if that's a real issue or not?

My normal phone usage is 30% text messages, 20% camera, 10% calls, 40% other apps. The lack of established apps for WP is a concern but I'm willing to disregard it with the belief that apps will come for WP8. I do use Facebook, Words with Friends, Draw Something, and Song Pop and I think I've read that most if not all of these are either available or nearly available. Is it possible to do Facebook through the phone's browser to play these games on Facebook if the app is not ready?

I hope these aren't really dumb questions, but I'd hate to be so excited about getting a Windows phone only to discover I can't really do what I want on it. Thanks for any advice.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
A work around for wifi calling could be to get Skype premium. I use it for work and it's excellent as far as voice quality. Also gives you some pretty BA video chat options. I don't have the 920 in hand yet so I can't comment on how well the integration is but it looks excellent from the video. You could forward your cell to your Skype # if you had Skype Premium. Not perfect but it is a work around.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, no one is willing to help me decide if moving to WP will work for me?

I think it's mostly due to the fact the majority of us baring out developers and our Canadian brothers and sisters don't have the phone in hand :-/
.....yet.....

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
A work around for wifi calling could be to get Skype premium. I use it for work and it's excellent as far as voice quality. Also gives you some pretty BA video chat options. I don't have the 920 in hand yet so I can't comment on how well the integration is but it looks excellent from the video. You could forward your cell to your Skype # if you had Skype Premium. Not perfect but it is a work around.

Thanks, I didn't realize Skype could work like that! That's an excellent idea.

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it's mostly due to the fact the majority of us baring out developers and our Canadian brothers and sisters don't have the phone in hand :-/
.....yet.....

True, I guess I figured someone out there had worked through the same issues from the previous WP version or might speak up and say YOU WILL BE MISERABLE lol.

To me the whole wifi thing is huge. I can't imagine it disconnecting each time it goes to sleep. The lack of discussion on that here seems to indicate my situation is unique or that if I had a better cell phone carrier it wouldn't be an issue.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
One solution to your no-signal-in-home problem would be an AT&T microcell. It's kind of having your own mini cell tower that connects to your Internet router. Not sure if there's a monthly cost to it or not. AT&T will try to make you pay for the microcell but if you stand your ground you won't have to pay for it.

You'll have to deal with the WiFi sleep issue. I tried that "keep alive" app with poor results.

You can use the Facebook app or the mobile browser version of Facebook, but I don't know about playing Facebook games on the platform. The built-in social integration is adequate on some aspects and really good on others.

I really like Windows Phone, especially the UI and distinctive features. You should give it a shot!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Well, if you're still on T-Mobile and looking to get a WP8 phone, you have your choice of the Nokia Lumia 810 (that's what I'm getting) or the HTC 8X. I'm not sure WP offers Wi-fi calling, though. I've noticed that a few reviewers of WP7 phones on T-Mobile's website have complained that there's no such feature. Also, since you mentioned Words with Friends, T-Mobile users are supposed to get that with their WPs - and earlier than everyone else. :D

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I plan on changing to either ATT or Verizon to get the WP8 phone. No wifi calling on T-Mobile when I have zero signal at my house is a dealbreaker!

aubreyq - I'm happy to hear ATT has the microcell solution. Thank you!

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Someone explain to me the issue with wifi cutting off when the phone goes to 'sleep'? I have no real-world example/experience as to why this would be a problem...

I'm being serious and not a sarcastic troll... I really don't know what the issue is...

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I can only speak for myself from the Android world and not having a cell signal at my house. Without wifi, I wouldn't get my text messages or any updates. In the case of my phone and provider, I would also not even get my phone calls, since I used wifi calling.

I assume on WP if Wifi disconnects, it would be a similar story, except I'm hoping that a new cell provider will keep me connected with a cell signal.

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The wifi going to sleep can be an issue if you rely on wifi for everything. The Lumia 900 always gave me great signal strength. I constantly lose signal in low signal areas on the Galaxy Nexus that the Lumia 900 had no issues with at all. If you have any signal at all, text messages and phone calls will still get through. The phone still wakes up every so often and connects to wifi to get updates. Someone else might know the frequency.

The microcell is a good option as well for AT&T. It essentially provides a 3g signal routed through your internet. It works pretty well in a lot of cases. You can get it thrown in for free if you have bad signal at your house. Make sure to choose the free option.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm also an android user considering the wp8. Is there a wifi hotspot on the phone? I cannot find info on this. If not I'm wondering is it possible to tether using third party apps. Easy tether, etc.
I'm seen little to no info on any possible rooting or roming on XDA, so I'm thinking ms has it locked down quite a bit. Not like the old winmo fun we used to have. I guess I like to customize, any options for that?

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread too. I'm also a long time Android user (currently a rooted & aftermarket ROM'd Galaxy Nexus) looking to jump ship to WP8. I'm on Verizon right now, but willing to go AT&T as well now that they turned on LTE in my city. I'd be either paying full price though on Verizon or a pro-rated (about 75 at this point) ETF to jump to AT&T though.

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm breaking my contract with T-Mobile when (if) I go to AT&T also.

I went to 2 AT&T stores today to see if they intend on having the Lumia 922 on Friday. One had no idea if/when they would get them and looked at their incoming orders and didn't show any scheduled to come in. The guy then showed me the 900 and said it's just like this, but bigger. Haha.

The other store (much bigger and full-featured) said they HOPE to have some arrive tomorrow so they can sell them on Friday. I intend to be there at 9 am Friday to see how it shakes out. If I don't like the 922, I will wait (im)patiently for the 8X to arrive, see if I like it, and probably go with Verizon.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm breaking my contract with T-Mobile when (if) I go to AT&T also.

I went to 2 AT&T stores today to see if they intend on having the Lumia 922 on Friday. One had no idea if/when they would get them and looked at their incoming orders and didn't show any scheduled to come in. The guy then showed me the 900 and said it's just like this, but bigger. Haha.

The other store (much bigger and full-featured) said they HOPE to have some arrive tomorrow so they can sell them on Friday. I intend to be there at 9 am Friday to see how it shakes out. If I don't like the 922, I will wait (im)patiently for the 8X to arrive, see if I like it, and probably go with Verizon.
I'm sure you meant 920 instead of 922.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I read that tethering will be available on 7.8 & 8 without asking for an unlock from the carrier.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12