Not eligible for an upgrade? Still get the discount:

Fozwald

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello all. I'm new to the forums so I don't know if this is obvious information around here. I know this isn't WP8 specific, but I keep reading in the forums recently that a lot of people are talking about purchasing out of contract because they are not eligible for an upgrade. I'll be ordering a Lumia 920 at midnight tonight so I'll focus on that phone.

With most major carriers, adding a new line gives you the full handset discount, so in the case of the Lumia 920, you would get it for $99. If your plan is already a family plan, and there is room for a line, just add a bogus line for $10 dollars a month (the price for most carriers last I checked). $10 dollars at 24 months is of course $240+$99 for the phone is $339 instead of the outright cost. Not too mention, now you have a line you can give as a gift to someone (friend, niece, nephew, elderly parent, hook up a buddy and have them pay the fee!). It's pretty easy to come by a cheap or free old phone to give with the added line. Or do nothing with the line, still less expensive than buying the phone off contract.

Of course some people will have their reasons for still buying off contract and that's fine, just wanted to help someone out with how much I've been reading about people not eligible lately.

Cheers!

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Using your premise of the 920 on ATT, adding a line with a two year contract with the minimum required data package is $10 for the line, $20 for the lowest data.
That means it's $30 x 24 months, or $720 plus the $99 for the phone. $819. If the Best Buy no contract price holds true, you're better off buying the phone on contract and then paying the early termination fee, I believe that's like $325, plus the $99, it'll be $424 for the phone.

Fozwald

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Using your premise of the 920 on ATT, adding a line with a two year contract with the minimum required data package is $10 for the line, $20 for the lowest data.
That means it's $30 x 24 months, or $720 plus the $99 for the phone. $819. If the Best Buy no contract price holds true, you're better off buying the phone on contract and then paying the early termination fee, I believe that's like $325, plus the $99, it'll be $424 for the phone.
Great points! When I worked in cell phone sales 6 years ago data packages weren't required to get discounts on smartphones. I wouldn't be surprised if a sales guy could still put it through.
Cheers!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If the Best Buy no contract price holds true, you're better off buying the phone on contract and then paying the early termination fee, I believe that's like $325, plus the $99, it'll be $424 for the phone.

I'm with you on this strategy. But what happens then? Once you terminate the contract for the new phone, will the carrier allow it back on the account? Do you just do an ESN swap?

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you on this strategy. But what happens then? Once you terminate the contract for the new phone, will the carrier allow it back on the account? Do you just do an ESN swap?

since the ATT off contract price is now being reported at $449, there is no advantage to the buy on contract and pay ETF... But you could just go to ATT and get a microSIM from them for free and pop it in the phone.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
With the Verizon shared data plans we are being forced to switch to it costs $30 a month to add a dumbphone and $40 to add a smartphone, so it's not worth it to add a line to get an early upgrade.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
You can order a smart phone and a data plan, then go buy or borrow a crappy non-smart phone, put in your sim, and call AT&T up. Switch down to a 9.99 line. Did it once already.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
since the ATT off contract price is now being reported at $449, there is no advantage to the buy on contract and pay ETF... But you could just go to ATT and get a microSIM from them for free and pop it in the phone.

oops, sorry if I confused you. I was referring to Verizon accounts. We don't have to mess with sim cards.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
With the Verizon shared data plans we are being forced to switch to it costs $30 a month to add a dumbphone and $40 to add a smartphone, so it's not worth it to add a line to get an early upgrade.

I wonder about using the upgrade from another line? I have the unlimited plan and want to keep that until they pry it from my cold, er... wallet. I'm not willing to give it up for a new phone.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I had one line eligible, and my other wasn't. I actually called AT&T customer service, talked to them, and they upgraded both my lines at the 2 year renewal price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb