VERIZON: Thank you for the much better selection this go around!! But...

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
...But I still don't think any of the devices quite do it for me as a 2-year upgrade from my HTC Trophy. 1-year, maybe, but not two...

HTC 8X - Excellent all around but the non-expandable 16GB is a deal breaker for me. No gyroscope is not great either. May have buyer remorse after a year.

Lumia 822 - Too low end, period.

Samsung ATIV Odyssey - If things stay the same as pre-release info, this device comes the closest with all its features but I really dislike the physical home button and the lack of colorful options could make this phone more boring. I also heard the call reception & mic is weak which is a big problem for me.

What could get me to sign a new contract:
-Nokia 920 with 32-64gb RAM
-HTC 'Zenith' with 32-64gb RAM
-If ATIV Odyssey improves its design before launch.

Otherwise, I probably will wait it out until my contract expires in January then decide what to do from there.

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you OP. I think I may just get a phone anyways though since my phone is 3 years old right now, and then in one year I will just pay the extra for the upgrade or try to shift around upgrades to make it work (I am on a 10 person small business account).

Beyond just WP8 I would argue that the whole line up of phone hardware this year is not as impressive as the last few years. The best phones just look slightly better than they did last year. I kinda get the feeling we are going to see a bigger improvement next year.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
what i am pi$$ed about is the costs, $99 for a nokia 822? and att 920 is only $99???

gimme a break... might be switching to att sooner than later

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I dumped VZN and got the 920. I suggest you do the same. :)

Oh believe me I've considered that. That was actually a plan of mine til recently...

Then Hurricane Sandy hit. I had service 100% of the time through Hurricane Sandy, I had ability to call, ability to text, ability to get on the net. All of my friends with AT&T had only partial service for about a day and then basically had a blackout where their phone didnt work.

While some of it is marketing, the bottom line is Verizon does have a more robust network, even in an AT&T heavy area like the Tristate.

For that reason I want to stay on Verizon, so I will likely wait it out for the Lumia 922 or HTC Zenith next year.

Last edited:

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Ive been saying I am going to dump Verizon but I would have a cancellation fee and at my home, I have to use a Network Extender to even have service. ATT would probably require something similar if they even have an extender.

I dont like having to pay for text messaging either, which to even use the feature, isnt it like $20 for ATT a month?! Way too much just to text. I dont use it heavily, but I want the feature, but I am not going to pay $20 for it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been tempted to switch to AT&T with the 920 prices, but Verizon has better coverage at my home so I'm going to stick with them.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
what i am pi$$ed about is the costs, $99 for a nokia 822? and att 920 is only $99???

gimme a break... might be switching to att sooner than later

Verizon thinks their s*** doesn't stink so they are the most expensive and arrogant carrier around. Their network is the best in the U.S. which is relevant if you travel a lot or live in an area with poor coverage. Personally I prefer AT&T because of the selection of phones and more Windows Phone friendly atmosphere, plus rollover minutes. I've had no problems whatsoever with them.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm honestly thinking about taking my line and my wife's line back to ATT (we ported to Verizon a couple of years ago). I'll have about $300 in ETF's to do it, but it's almost worth it to give the finger to Verizon letting them think they can continue to charge the most for the least (in terms of features, not coverage). I'll lose unlimited but I only use about 200mb a month anyways and don't ever see myself using huge amounts of data where I won't be near a wifi hotspot. I can save about $20/month too by switching back and using the data share plan with unlimited talk/text.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly thinking about taking my line and my wife's line back to ATT (we ported to Verizon a couple of years ago). I'll have about $300 in ETF's to do it, but it's almost worth it to give the finger to Verizon letting them think they can continue to charge the most for the least (in terms of features, not coverage). I'll lose unlimited but I only use about 200mb a month anyways and don't ever see myself using huge amounts of data where I won't be near a wifi hotspot. I can save about $20/month too by switching back and using the data share plan with unlimited talk/text.

So with a share plan, you dont have to pay extra for text? I was looking at individual plans and they charge $20 a month for it. A bit outrageous imo.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
So with a share plan, you dont have to pay extra for text? I was looking at individual plans and they charge $20 a month for it. A bit outrageous imo.

No, each phone you bring to the plan pays a set price ($40 for each smartphone) and that includes unlimited voice and text, then you add in the data you share.

That's why I'm considering doing this in the first place. I was all against the shared plans when they first came out, but now I can see the value of them considering they do include unlimited talk/text. Used to be, both ATT and Verizon offered a 250/$5 text option add-on but now it's $20 for unlimited texts with no other option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3