This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. cstenson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Bit of background if you'll indulge - at my workplace we are still running Exchange 2003 -u/g next finincial year hopefully;). At the moment we can't allow devices other than Blackberrys to access Exchange as E2K3 doesn't support the EAS encryption policy. We are looking at WP8 as possible BB replacements. Am I right in thinking that the whole device is encrypted with Bitlocker, thereby meaning EAS encryption policy is irrelevant and we can roll out devices securely even prior to upgrading Exchange?

    Probably a dumb question but thanks in advance...

    C
  2. thed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    993 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by cstenson View Post
    Bit of background if you'll indulge - at my workplace we are still running Exchange 2003 -u/g next finincial year hopefully;). At the moment we can't allow devices other than Blackberrys to access Exchange as E2K3 doesn't support the EAS encryption policy. We are looking at WP8 as possible BB replacements. Am I right in thinking that the whole device is encrypted with Bitlocker, thereby meaning EAS encryption policy is irrelevant and we can roll out devices securely even prior to upgrading Exchange?

    Probably a dumb question but thanks in advance...

    C
    Not really a dumb question. There really is a dearth of official information about many features of the OS, and the info that is there is buried.

    Here's a link with some vague information about encryption:
    Windows Phone Security | Windows Phone (United States)

    It's not really clear to me what they're saying. First it says "To help keep everything from documents to passwords safe, Windows Phone 8 encrypts the operating system and data files." Then in the next sentence we get "With device encryption turned on, any file saved to the phone is encrypted automatically."

    I'm not sure how you turn device encryption on. Is it on by default? Is it in the settings? Maybe someone with a WP8 can clarify this.
    cstenson likes this.
  3. iSeeiSheep's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Suggest research here: Windows Phone 8 is here and ready for business! - Microsoft Enterprise Insights Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

    Windows Phone 8 supports full disk encryption, Office 365, IRM, and many other enterprise class features. Keep in mind that Windows Phone 8 also supports Information Rights Management and many other advanced business features =D.

    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/bu...?wa=wsignin1.0 - check out the video here

    Look out BB, Droid, iPhone!
    Last edited by robert-it; 11-07-2012 at 11:10 PM.
    cstenson likes this.
  4. cstenson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    Not really a dumb question. There really is a dearth of official information about many features of the OS, and the info that is there is buried.

    Here's a link with some vague information about encryption:
    Windows Phone Security | Windows Phone (United States)

    It's not really clear to me what they're saying. First it says "To help keep everything from documents to passwords safe, Windows Phone 8 encrypts the operating system and data files." Then in the next sentence we get "With device encryption turned on, any file saved to the phone is encrypted automatically."

    I'm not sure how you turn device encryption on. Is it on by default? Is it in the settings? Maybe someone with a WP8 can clarify this.
    Thanks thed, yeah the line 'With device encryption turned on, any file saved to the phone is encrypted automatically' is the crux. If the user can just turn off encryption then we're out of luck until we upgrade Exchange when we can use EAS to enforce it. I'll try to get clarification out of Microsoft but if anyone has a WP8 please clarify!
  5. cstenson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by robert-it View Post
    Suggest research here: Windows Phone 8 is here and ready for business! - Microsoft Enterprise Insights Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

    Windows Phone 8 supports full disk encryption, Office 365, IRM, and many other enterprise class features. Keep in mind that Windows Phone 8 also supports Information Rights Management and many other advanced business features =D.

    Windows Phone 7 for Business | Windowsphone.com | Windows Phone (United States) - check out the video here

    Look out BB, Droid, iPhone!
    Thanks Robert, that document answers it I think - it sounds like when they release the management tools (new version of InTune so I understand) then we would be able to force the devices to encrypt, so it wouldn't matter that E2K3 doesn't support EAS encryption policy. Not 100% sure but once they release the new InTune hopefully all will become clear...

Posting Permissions

";