Newbie Q on WP8 phones

WforWindows

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I've never used a Windows Mobile phone before and are very interested in the N920 and have a few questions would like to ask that apply to Windows 8:

1- how do you download music/video onto the phone?
-is it drag and drop to its memory like Android or is like iPhone's iTune syncing?

2- Can you install Windows 7 applications to the phone (Windows 8)?
-running Photoshop on the phone will bring a whole new meaning to photography

3- I guess this question is similar to #1 and 2, how do you install apps onto the phone, from a store or you can download onto its memory and install it from there?

4 - ATT is selling the N920 for 449$ usd which I think is excellent price for top-of-the-line phone, Anyone know if it is LOCKED to ATT like the way iPhone are locked to its carrier where unlocking is only possible by the carriers itself?
-I'm from Canada and I'll doubt any carriers in Canada will go below 600$. In another word, how easy is it unlocking the N920 or Nokia Windows phone in general?

Thanks in advance.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
1 -- You use the Windows Phone 8 sync utility for Windows 7, the Windows Phone sync utility for Windows 8/RT, or the Windows Phone Sync utility for OS X.

2 -- No. WP8 only runs (most) apps made for WP7 and apps made for WP8, downloaded from Microsoft's Windows Phone Store. There are about 130,000 as of the latest count.

3 -- Only from Microsoft's Windows Phone Store.

4 -- It is locked to AT&T, but AT&T corporate will typically provide an unlock code if you bug them often enough, on a phone that has no contract associated. It will take you a while to get the code though...

Last edited:

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
1) Actually it's both. You can use the sync utilities that brmiller1976 pointed out, OR you can do the drag-and-drop from a folder on the PC to a folder on your N920 (this is new with Windows Phone 8).

2) Windows Phone 8 only runs Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 apps. As of right now, it doesn't run apps created for the PC OS (Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are two different operating systems, although they do share some commonality).

3) Only from the Microsoft Windows Phone Store, with the caveat that there are some Nokia only phone apps and some AT&T only phone apps, I'm don't know if those are considered their own 'store' or just a subsection of the windows phone store. Some of the Nokia only phone apps are actually a big selling point for the Nokia specific phones (like the Lumia 920).

4) Everything I've read says it's locked to AT&T and that unlock codes will not be available until 3 months after the initial release of the N920 phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3