Sim to Micro-sim? Urgent

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to double post this (I put it in reply to a thread in the 920 forums) but it will directly affect whether I can get a 920 today or not so I need feedback quickly.

Bit of a predicament here in the UK. 2 shops just phoned me to say I could go in and purchase a Black Sim-free phone which is perfect. Obviously the phone doesn't come with a sim, I would need to supply one and then it gets strange. One person said that only EE, Orange and T-Mobile sims would work in this unlocked phone because those are the only networks that have the settings to work with the phone. The other store said that the phone would work with any network.

So who do I believe and how can I put my current 3 contract from a large to a microsim? If I went into a 3 shop could I get one there or is it possible for me to cut down my existing sim and it just works? How do I go about this? Would somewhere like CPW cut it down and make it work?

mjfadaway

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Idk how things work in your country, but out here we can just walk into our local carrier store and ask for the micro sum, and be on our marry way.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Cutting down existing SIM works, but theres a chance that with some sloppy work the SIM gets stuck there and you wont get it out anymore.

It's encouraged that you just get a real new Micro-SIM. I don't know which network settings the phone works on or not, but at least around here you can replace your old Mini-SIM with a new Micro-SIM in just one visit to your carrier's store.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If you're on 3 you cannot use the Lumia 920, in the UK even the sim free version only works on EE, t-mobile or Orange.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I just went and got one, tried the 3 microsim in it and it came up with the message that only certain networks would work and i had to enter a code. So I had to get a temporary PAYG t-mobile/orange sim.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I just went and got one, tried the 3 microsim in it and it came up with the message that only certain networks would work and i had to enter a code. So I had to get a temporary PAYG t-mobile/orange sim.

Then it's not unlocked.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can go buy a sim cutter for about 5 bucks [US].

When I went from a GS2 to Lumia 900, I just walked into the AT&T store and told them I needed a new SIM. No charge and was done in 5 minutes.
Sorry to double post this (I put it in reply to a thread in the 920 forums) but it will directly affect whether I can get a 920 today or not so I need feedback quickly.

Bit of a predicament here in the UK. 2 shops just phoned me to say I could go in and purchase a Black Sim-free phone which is perfect. Obviously the phone doesn't come with a sim, I would need to supply one and then it gets strange. One person said that only EE, Orange and T-Mobile sims would work in this unlocked phone because those are the only networks that have the settings to work with the phone. The other store said that the phone would work with any network.

So who do I believe and how can I put my current 3 contract from a large to a microsim? If I went into a 3 shop could I get one there or is it possible for me to cut down my existing sim and it just works? How do I go about this? Would somewhere like CPW cut it down and make it work?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Then it's not unlocked.

This is the where the confusion comes in - "SIM free" has always meant "unlocked" and because of that even some staff in Phones4U are assuming that it is the case for the 920 - but phones4u (head office) have been very clear about this, in this case "SIM free" does not mean "sim free". Moreover, locking the phone will void the warranty.

Even more confusing is that some colours (white) will only work on EE (network) while others will work on EE (brand - including EE, Orange, T-mobile).

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This is the where the confusion comes in - "SIM free" has always meant "unlocked" and because of that even some staff in Phones4U are assuming that it is the case for the 920 - but phones4u (head office) have been very clear about this, in this case "SIM free" does not mean "sim free". Moreover, locking the phone will void the warranty.

Even more confusing is that some colours (white) will only work on EE (network) while others will work on EE (brand - including EE, Orange, T-mobile).

I agree, it makes it real confusing, and if you unlock it your warranty is voided.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You can get a SIM cutter for very cheap on Amazon. I got one and trimmed my SIM card down for my iPhone 4. One warning, though, if you get a cutter, and depending on the one you get, you may have to use scissors as well. My SIM cutter didn't cut it small enough and I had to use scissors to finish the job. Good thing I have a good, steady hand.

Oh, and many cutters come with SIM adapters if you still need to use your SIM at the mini-SIM size. :)

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree, it makes it real confusing, and if you unlock it your warranty is voided.

The whole launch has been an absolute mess in the UK - confusion over prices, availability, Lock or unlocked etc - every single aspect has been mishandled.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got a call from Phones4U they have given me til Tuesday to decide whether I want to take the phone back for a refund or not. They dont provide unlock codes and will only offer this refund because they made it sound like it was unlocked to all networks.

I dont really want to take it back I just want to unlock it.

Rock

me

Hard Place

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got a call from Phones4U they have given me til Tuesday to decide whether I want to take the phone back for a refund or not. They dont provide unlock codes and will only offer this refund because they made it sound like it was unlocked to all networks.

I dont really want to take it back I just want to unlock it.

Rock

me

Hard Place

I love how they make it sound like they are doing you a favour rather than they misrepresented the capabilities of the product - they don't have a leg to stand on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs