This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
  1. Muessig's Avatar

    Posts
    5,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Sorry to double post this (I put it in reply to a thread in the 920 forums) but it will directly affect whether I can get a 920 today or not so I need feedback quickly.

    Bit of a predicament here in the UK. 2 shops just phoned me to say I could go in and purchase a Black Sim-free phone which is perfect. Obviously the phone doesn't come with a sim, I would need to supply one and then it gets strange. One person said that only EE, Orange and T-Mobile sims would work in this unlocked phone because those are the only networks that have the settings to work with the phone. The other store said that the phone would work with any network.

    So who do I believe and how can I put my current 3 contract from a large to a microsim? If I went into a 3 shop could I get one there or is it possible for me to cut down my existing sim and it just works? How do I go about this? Would somewhere like CPW cut it down and make it work?
  2. mjfadaway's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Idk how things work in your country, but out here we can just walk into our local carrier store and ask for the micro sum, and be on our marry way.
  3. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,514 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,591 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Cutting down existing SIM works, but theres a chance that with some sloppy work the SIM gets stuck there and you wont get it out anymore.

    It's encouraged that you just get a real new Micro-SIM. I don't know which network settings the phone works on or not, but at least around here you can replace your old Mini-SIM with a new Micro-SIM in just one visit to your carrier's store.
  4. Jay Bennett's Avatar
    Resident Developer

    Posts
    1,073 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    If you're on 3 you cannot use the Lumia 920, in the UK even the sim free version only works on EE, t-mobile or Orange.
  5. Muessig's Avatar

    Posts
    5,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTBennett View Post
    If you're on 3 you cannot use the Lumia 920, in the UK even the sim free version only works on EE, t-mobile or Orange.
    Is that true for the entire exclusive period?
  6. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTBennett View Post
    If you're on 3 you cannot use the Lumia 920, in the UK even the sim free version only works on EE, t-mobile or Orange.
    So it's not really unlocked?
  7. Muessig's Avatar

    Posts
    5,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    I just went and got one, tried the 3 microsim in it and it came up with the message that only certain networks would work and i had to enter a code. So I had to get a temporary PAYG t-mobile/orange sim.
  8. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    I just went and got one, tried the 3 microsim in it and it came up with the message that only certain networks would work and i had to enter a code. So I had to get a temporary PAYG t-mobile/orange sim.
    Then it's not unlocked.
  9. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Wow. Way to go Nokia (not).
  10. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,243 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,479 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    You can go buy a sim cutter for about 5 bucks [US].

    When I went from a GS2 to Lumia 900, I just walked into the AT&T store and told them I needed a new SIM. No charge and was done in 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    Sorry to double post this (I put it in reply to a thread in the 920 forums) but it will directly affect whether I can get a 920 today or not so I need feedback quickly.

    Bit of a predicament here in the UK. 2 shops just phoned me to say I could go in and purchase a Black Sim-free phone which is perfect. Obviously the phone doesn't come with a sim, I would need to supply one and then it gets strange. One person said that only EE, Orange and T-Mobile sims would work in this unlocked phone because those are the only networks that have the settings to work with the phone. The other store said that the phone would work with any network.

    So who do I believe and how can I put my current 3 contract from a large to a microsim? If I went into a 3 shop could I get one there or is it possible for me to cut down my existing sim and it just works? How do I go about this? Would somewhere like CPW cut it down and make it work?
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,394 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Then it's not unlocked.

    This is the where the confusion comes in - "SIM free" has always meant "unlocked" and because of that even some staff in Phones4U are assuming that it is the case for the 920 - but phones4u (head office) have been very clear about this, in this case "SIM free" does not mean "sim free". Moreover, locking the phone will void the warranty.

    Even more confusing is that some colours (white) will only work on EE (network) while others will work on EE (brand - including EE, Orange, T-mobile).
    palandri likes this.
  12. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    This is the where the confusion comes in - "SIM free" has always meant "unlocked" and because of that even some staff in Phones4U are assuming that it is the case for the 920 - but phones4u (head office) have been very clear about this, in this case "SIM free" does not mean "sim free". Moreover, locking the phone will void the warranty.

    Even more confusing is that some colours (white) will only work on EE (network) while others will work on EE (brand - including EE, Orange, T-mobile).
    I agree, it makes it real confusing, and if you unlock it your warranty is voided.
  13. metalchick719's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,354 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,665 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    You can get a SIM cutter for very cheap on Amazon. I got one and trimmed my SIM card down for my iPhone 4. One warning, though, if you get a cutter, and depending on the one you get, you may have to use scissors as well. My SIM cutter didn't cut it small enough and I had to use scissors to finish the job. Good thing I have a good, steady hand.

    Oh, and many cutters come with SIM adapters if you still need to use your SIM at the mini-SIM size. :)
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,394 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I agree, it makes it real confusing, and if you unlock it your warranty is voided.
    The whole launch has been an absolute mess in the UK - confusion over prices, availability, Lock or unlocked etc - every single aspect has been mishandled.
  15. Muessig's Avatar

    Posts
    5,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #15  
    Just got a call from Phones4U they have given me til Tuesday to decide whether I want to take the phone back for a refund or not. They dont provide unlock codes and will only offer this refund because they made it sound like it was unlocked to all networks.

    I dont really want to take it back I just want to unlock it.

    Rock

    me

    Hard Place
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,394 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    Just got a call from Phones4U they have given me til Tuesday to decide whether I want to take the phone back for a refund or not. They dont provide unlock codes and will only offer this refund because they made it sound like it was unlocked to all networks.

    I dont really want to take it back I just want to unlock it.

    Rock

    me

    Hard Place
    I love how they make it sound like they are doing you a favour rather than they misrepresented the capabilities of the product - they don't have a leg to stand on.

Posting Permissions

";