Turn by Turn on 8X?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been addressed... I couldn't find the info in Dan's WP8 review so I figured I'd ask here. I'm deciding between the 8X and the 920. Previously, I had a 710 and a Radar...the biggest difference for me was turn-by-turn. I prefer HTC build quality, but I hated the lack of navigation.

So, I'm a little confused as to the current situation. Will non-Nokia devices have turn-by-turn with WP8? Thanks in advance!

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but it's the gimped version provided in Bing maps until the OEM partners release Nokia Drive for their stores. This means that you may not get it for a long time.

You can only guarantee the best turn by turn support through Nokia Phones until we get something more concrete in regards to drive availability on other OEMs

cwinger

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It has turn by turn but no voice.. I believe Nokia held voice to their own devices. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I just sold my 8X and can verify it only had text turn by turn.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah...when it's free from Nokia, I'd rather not have to pay. Looks like I'll be going with the 920...now to figure out how to wrestle with AT&T to get the stupid thing unlocked=/
I thought HTC had their own turn-by-turn navigation app in the store somewhere? That'll have to do until Nokia Drive arrives for non-Nokia devices (aside from the built-in textual bing directions)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You have to download Nokia Drive in the app store is what I read. I'm not sure if it is available yet though. I wish the info about this wasn't so vague.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I bought Navigon with the impression that WP7 apps work on WP8. Navigon currently does not. I e-mailed their tech support without a response but read somewhere that they will update the app to work with WP8.

Nokia Drive was "OK" on WP7. I didnt like the lack of ability to select your route or alter a route. It's not ideal for long trips in areas you are not familiar with IMO.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
You have to download Nokia Drive in the app store is what I read. I'm not sure if it is available yet though. I wish the info about this wasn't so vague.

Eh, moot point for me now...cyan 920 is ordered and on it's way:) The free charging mat didn't hurt either.

But I agree the info out there is maddeningly vague and inconsistent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett