Contacts Overwritten ...

philsound71

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Just got my Lumia 920 today and setting it up for the first time. I'm used the Nokia Transfer App to move all my contacts from me iPhone to my .outlook account. This worked successfully without a hitch! Then I associated my phone with my Facebook account ... here's where the problem occurred. Facebook seemed to randomly overwrite contact data for some and not others. For example, when I click on a random friend contact in the People Tile - I get the expected - phone info, email info, and a link to Facebook info ... but when I click on my wife, let's say, ALL I get is the Facebook profile information - all of her phone, email, etc. info was blown out.

I hope I'm being clear here ... sorry, it's my first new phone OS since 2007 ... but if anyone has any ideas, that would be amazing :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Phil

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Just got my Lumia 920 today and setting it up for the first time. I'm used the Nokia Transfer App to move all my contacts from me iPhone to my .outlook account. This worked successfully without a hitch! Then I associated my phone with my Facebook account ... here's where the problem occurred. Facebook seemed to randomly overwrite contact data for some and not others. For example, when I click on a random friend contact in the People Tile - I get the expected - phone info, email info, and a link to Facebook info ... but when I click on my wife, let's say, ALL I get is the Facebook profile information - all of her phone, email, etc. info was blown out.

I hope I'm being clear here ... sorry, it's my first new phone OS since 2007 ... but if anyone has any ideas, that would be amazing :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Phil
First, allow me to express my jealousy over having the 920 already and also to welcome you to the Windows Phone community!

I don't have a WP8 yet, but I had something similar happen to me with WP7. The first thing that you need to check is if your wife's Facebook account is properly linked with her Windows Live/Outlook account on your phone. When viewing her contact, at the bottom there should be an icon of two linked chains. It should have (at least) the number 2 underneath. If not, tap it and search for her name in the list that comes up.

Also, you should go to http://outlook.com and see if her contact information is still there or if Facebook actually did overwrite the information. If it's still there, it means that the information is still there, it's just not being displayed properly.

philsound71

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
First, allow me to express my jealousy over having the 920 already and also to welcome you to the Windows Phone community!

I don't have a WP8 yet, but I had something similar happen to me with WP7. The first thing that you need to check is if your wife's Facebook account is properly linked with her Windows Live/Outlook account on your phone. When viewing her contact, at the bottom there should be an icon of two linked chains. It should have (at least) the number 2 underneath. If not, tap it and search for her name in the list that comes up.

Also, you should go to http://outlook.com and see if her contact information is still there or if Facebook actually did overwrite the information. If it's still there, it means that the information is still there, it's just not being displayed properly.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I feel lucky that I got my 920 on time and without incident ;).

OK, so your information is helpful ... in my wife's case it does contain the link (chain) with a '2' - but i wonder if that's because I re-added her info manually :dry ... but another example is my brother where the contact is ONLY linked with his Facebook and not the contact that I imported - so it seems like that got overwritten. On a possible related note ... when i went to Outlook.com to the People window, the contacts from my phone were not 'pushed' even though my account is set to sync in the phone (i do see only a checkbox to sync email ...). Perhaps my lack of Outlook.com contacts overwrote the phone? does it only get pushed on-way?

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Pushing works both ways. That there is only an email option in your account settings is normal; you can enable/disable email syncing, but contact syncing cannot be disabled. What you might want to do is go to Settings > Email+Accounts, then tap and hold Outlook's entry and choose "sync" to sync manually. That might have an effect on outlook.com.

If you tap the chain for your brother's contact, can you find the imported contact on the list that pops up when you tap "choose a contact"?

If all else fails, you might want to consider importing your contact list directly to outlook.com.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
It takes a little time to sync as well. If you see the contact info on outlook.com just fine, then it probably hasn't fully synced to the phone just yet. Do you see indication that Facebook and Windows Live (or Microsoft account whatever it says now) on that contact with a link icon and multiple sources connected?

philsound71

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your help everyone! I got this working late yesterday as I was able to sync my iCloud's contacts into Windows Live Mail on my PC. That pushed to Outlook.com and then synced to my 920 .... Whew! It made sense that I should take care of the Outlook portion first. I truly appreciate the insight and quick responses.

Cheers,
Phil

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm so glad i'm not the only one!! I noticed this two. Bought the 920 on Saturday at ATT and had them sync my contacts over right there from my iPhone. Later on I connected the phone to my facebook account. Some people are overwritten with the contact info from facebook, others are just gone all together. I opened up outlook.com and it shows the same contacts that are on my phone which seems to be a mix of local plus facebook. Thankfully I still have my phone contacts on my iPhone, do I need to try and sync these up to outlook.com?

This is a bit of a bumpy start to this transition. Its worry some to add a feature to the phone, only to have it some how overwrite or delete some contacts.

I still have high hopes for wp8 though!

Luke

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can someone help me with this. I'm still having trouble syncing this over.

OK so what I did was synced my old iPhone contacts to my gmail account using iTunes. Then connected my gmail account to my outlook.com account. On outlook.com I now see my contacts. On my laptop, which is w8, in the people app I also connected to gmail and also see the correct list(a compilation of fb and old phone contacts). I have plugged my phone into my laptop for the last 2 hours and still don't have the contacts on my phone. I also went into settings>accounts and held down on the Microsoft account(settings show me it's a Hotmail account) and clicked sync.

Help please :) thanks!

Luke

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Resolved. Sort of.

Even though my outlook.com account and my laptops "People" app were syncing to my gmail account(which had my contacts) they were not coming to the phone. So on the phone I went to settings>accounts and added the google account.

I now see my correct full list of contacts on my phone. I also see my gmail calendar which is good because I use that to sync calendars with Outlook so that's good.

Remaining questions:
1. Are my contacts really on my phone or if I remove my gmail account connection will they be lost again?
2. My lock screen shows I have 21 unread emails(must be from my gmail account). I cannot find how to view this inbox. I went ahead and unchecked the box to sync gmail emails(I don't care about reading them on the phone) but for future references how do I switch between email accounts in the email app?

-Luke

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Remaining questions:
1. Are my contacts really on my phone or if I remove my gmail account connection will they be lost again?

If the contacts are syncing from your gmail account, then they will indeed disappear if you remove your gmail account.

2. My lock screen shows I have 21 unread emails(must be from my gmail account). I cannot find how to view this inbox. I went ahead and unchecked the box to sync gmail emails(I don't care about reading them on the phone) but for future references how do I switch between email accounts in the email app?

Each account gets its own entry in the app list. You can't switch accounts while in the app per se. At least, I don't think so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb