WP8 syncing

WP95

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I just preorder my 8x from verizon today and it got me thinking.
How will I sync this device to my computer?
Do I need a Windows 8 device or can I still sync my 8x to my win7 laptop?
I plan on getting a W8 device in the upcoming weeks but how will I manage my phone until then?

If anyone knows please give me the advice? I'm a little worried!

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I just preorder my 8x from verizon today and it got me thinking.
How will I sync this device to my computer?
Do I need a Windows 8 device or can I still sync my 8x to my win7 laptop?
I plan on getting a W8 device in the upcoming weeks but how will I manage my phone until then?

If anyone knows please give me the advice? I'm a little worried!
Do you have an outlook.com account for your e-mail? Are you using the desktop version of outlook?

http://ambassadors.xbox.com/en-us/p.../wp-sync-outlook-to-windows-phone-wizard.aspx

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
It will definitely make things easier. Once you do that, download outlook connector and you can sync your outlook.com account with your desktop outlook pretty easily. See the link I gave above for directions. Once you have that done, you can sync your phone with your outlook.com account and your contacts, calendar, and e-mails should update automatically.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
For synching media files you need Windows Phone Desktop App. With it, you can transfer and sync files from/to your phone and Windows 7/8 computers.

Windows Phone Support | Xbox LIVE, Windows Live, & Zune | Windows Phone 7 | Windows Phone (United States)

You don't need to use Outlook (Office app) to sync contacts unless you want to drag and drop contacts, mails or calendar items from one account (say Gmail) and your Microsoft Account.

You need a Microsoft Account. Hotmail is now called Outlook, so if you have a Hotmail one, you are set. If you do, you will have your contacts, calendar and emails synched between you phone and the cloud. You can do anythin on your phone and then go to outlook.com and everything will be there and viceversa.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
For synching media files you need Windows Phone Desktop App. With it, you can transfer and sync files from/to your phone and Windows 7/8 computers.

Windows Phone Support | Xbox LIVE, Windows Live, & Zune | Windows Phone 7 | Windows Phone (United States)

You don't need to use Outlook (Office app) to sync contacts unless you want to drag and drop contacts, mails or calendar items from one account (say Gmail) and your Microsoft Account.

You need a Microsoft Account. Hotmail is now called Outlook, so if you have a Hotmail one, you are set. If you do, you will have your contacts, calendar and emails synched between you phone and the cloud. You can do anythin on your phone and then go to outlook.com and everything will be there and viceversa.

I was under the impression that in WP8 you do not need the desktop app for WP. If you wish to use a USB connection, the phone should show up as a removable drive ala thumb drive, and you can move files easily that way. If you are talking about wireless sync of files, you may be right.

Also, when hear sync with the desktop, per the OP, I think of my calendar and contacts, etc. from outlook. You are obviously right in that if the OP does not wish to use the desktop outlook client, he can do things directly from outlook.com. I've been using my desktop outlook for so long now that I prefer to continue to do so, but also wish to sync seamlessly with my phone. I like being able to access my calendar and e-mails in situations where I might not have an internet connection. Others may not need or wish to do things that way. In addition however, you do not even need desktop outlook to move contacts or calendar from gmail to outlook.com/hotmail. You can set that connection up inside of outlook.com should you prefer to do it that way.

Again, it boils down to what the OP actually wants to sync I suppose.

Cheers,

Last edited:

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that in WP8 you do not need the desktop app for WP. If you wish to use a USB connection, the phone should show up as a removable drive ala thumb drive, and you can move files easily that way. If you are talking about wireless sync of files, you may be right.

Also, when hear sync with the desktop, per the OP, I think of my calendar and contacts, etc. from outlook. You are obviously right in that if the OP does not wish to use the desktop outlook client, he can do things directly from outlook.com. I've been using my desktop outlook for so long now that I prefer to continue to do so, but also wish to sync seamlessly with my phone. I like being able to access my calendar and e-mails in situations where I might not have an internet connection. Others may not need or wish to do things that way. In addition however, you do not even need desktop outlook to move contacts or calendar from gmail to outlook.com/hotmail. You can set that connection up inside of outlook.com should you prefer to do it that way.

Again, it boils down to what the OP actually wants to sync I suppose.

Cheers,

You are right. I referred to the Windows Phone Desktop App because it "syncs". Using a WP8 like a mass storage device is great and that's the way I will manage mine because I don't really transfer. SkyDrive and the casual transfer of a music album or two is all I do. For everything else, I rely on Outlook.com sync for my contacts and mail.

I started using more Windows Live Mail instead of Office Outlook a few months back and I've been happy with it because of the speed and the functionality is almost the same (minus the collaboration or team oriented features of Outlook).

I guess the OP got both of our answers for his question. Hopefully he can tell us what he meant about synching :D

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You are right. I referred to the Windows Phone Desktop App because it "syncs". Using a WP8 like a mass storage device is great and that's the way I will manage mine because I don't really transfer. SkyDrive and the casual transfer of a music album or two is all I do. For everything else, I rely on Outlook.com sync for my contacts and mail.

I started using more Windows Live Mail instead of Office Outlook a few months back and I've been happy with it because of the speed and the functionality is almost the same (minus the collaboration or team oriented features of Outlook).

I guess the OP got both of our answers for his question. Hopefully he can tell us what he meant about synching :D

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss