Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    This may have been asked already but this is my first wp. Is there a way to create a custom ringtone for texts in wp8? Thanks.

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I wrote a thread very similar to this last night in the developer forum regarding email but this is basically the same request. I wonder if the option can be written by 3rd party devolopers or if it must be baked into the OS. It should not be difficult to implement. Just add fields to the contact card for SMS and email sounds. I will miss this on my BlackBerry when I buy the 810 later this week. This feature would allow us to know who is texting/emailing us without having to look at your phone. It is very important to me and quite honestly I'm not sure it is a feature I could ever get used to not having. Come on developers ;)

Global Posts
    8,064 Global Posts
    To answer the OP's question more directly, no, it's not possible.

Global Posts
    3,976 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    If you go to settings>ringtones+sounds in there is the option to change your "New text or IM" sound from a bunch of options. I don't know how you would put a custom sound within the notifications folder, though.

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    If you go to settings>ringtones+sounds in there is the option to change your "New text or IM" sound from a bunch of options. I don't know how you would put a custom sound within the notifications folder, though.
    I think OP meant you get a specific sound when Jeremy texts you and a different sound when Nancy texts you. You can do this in BlackBerry and Android with SMS and email but not in WP8. I wonder if this can be implemented by developers or if it must be baked into the OS.

This is one of my minor issues with WP8, hopefully they change it soon
    Has anyone figured it out yet on how to do the text tones?

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Richey Duncan View Post
    Has anyone figured it out yet on how to do the text tones?
    You can not do it, until there is an update to allow custom text tones.

I love my Lumia 820. I moved from Blackberry and this is my ONLY real annoyance. I monitored 6 different mailboxes, ALL with custom sounds on the Blackberry, so a simple task is now an awkward one on the Lumia. I really hope they sort this as its such a basic function on most phones nowadays.

This is an embaresment, a damn shame on Microsoft's part here we are in 2013 with over 32,000 votes for this directly on Windows Phones Suggestion site and still nothing. WTH?
    Custom sounds for SMS, MMS, Email, Notifications etc

I remember when I chose my sms ringtone on my phone for the first time in 2005 and I think it was possible earlier. We're in 2013.
    you can create your own tones and assign them on a per contact basis...but that only applies to phone calls from that person

this doesn't apple to texts/emails though.

Quote Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
    you can create your own tones and assign them on a per contact basis...but that only applies to phone calls from that person

this doesn't apple to texts/emails though.
    which has absolutely nothing to do with a thread talking about custom text tones

Yeah, I'm new to WP & just noticed this myself...Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me to not be able to choose a custom text tone.I don't remember any phone that wasn't able to do that..even like 10 years ago....

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevaside View Post
    Yeah, I'm new to WP & just noticed this myself...Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me to not be able to choose a custom text tone.I don't remember any phone that wasn't able to do that..even like 10 years ago....
    You can do this now. When you edit a contact, you have an option to choose a unique ringtone, or text tone for each person. I am also less than a week into WP, but I have this option on my Lumia Icon.

Quote Originally Posted by stevaside View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajb1965 View Post
    You can do this now. When you edit a contact, you have an option to choose a unique ringtone, or text tone for each person. I am also less than a week into WP, but I have this option on my Lumia Icon.
    Please note that this feature was introduced in GDR3 so make sure you're on GDR3 already to use it ;)

Making your own custom ringtone or text tone for Windows Phone 8 is very easy. You do need to do this on a PC though.
    Download Windows Phone App for desktop here

Plug your phone into the PC with the USB cable.
    Make sure you place the MP3 files you wanna use inside Music folder within library on the PC.
    Open Windows Phone App for desktop and select PC, click ringtone, mark the files you wanna transfer and click sync.
    All done

The tones will be transferred and will now show up inside Ringtone and Text tone under "Custom"