Xbox Music Match with WP8

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, after my fuming hatred for the lack of WiFi Media syncing between Win8 and WP8 has cooled (slightly), I'm trying to make do with what we have.

I've ditched having podcasts on my Desktop and just used WP8 to subscribe directly using the Music + Videos app. Crappy compared to Zune, but functional.

I can use Auto Upload to SkyDrive for photos. Again, really a bad solution compared to WiFi sync via Zune but I can cope because I don't take a ton of Photos.

The last piece that I'm trying to make work is Music. I see that Win8 has a new service in the Xbox Music app called Xbox Cloud Collection and when I opened up Xbox Music I see that a lot of my music was being automatically matched in the Xbox Music Store. This was encouraging. But, I can find no way to make my Nokia 920 find these songs and sync wirelessly. Based on what I've read all Xbox Music Devices should have access to this and my 920 does have Xbox Music cloud collection turned on.

Any ideas? Anyone gotten their cloud collection onto their WP8 device? Any way to keep my music synced without having to do it manually or using WMP9?

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I think the music situation is abominable. This is what I plan to do once I pick up a Win8 tablet:

1. Keep my desktop on Win7. It is too "mission critical" to try Win8 until it is fully mature. I'll obviously continue to use Zune. I will sync over all of my non- DRM music to my Lumia 920 using WMP. (Apparently tracks with DRM I download to my computer will not play on WP8 devices, unlike WP7 devices)

2. I will use my Win8 tablet to duplicate the DRM tracks using Xbox music, which then should go to the Xbox music cloud service.

3. Use the Xbox match on the 920 to download the tracks from the Xbox music cloud, which should then make the music collection on my 920 the same as my desktop

4. Like you, I will manage podcasts directly on the 920

To answer your specific question, when you first open Xbox music on your phone you can enter settings (via the ellipses) and there is an option to turn on Xbox music match.

Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this...what a horrible situation.

-R

Last edited:

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
To answer your specific question, when you first open Xbox music on your phone you can enter settings (via the ellipses) and there is an option to turn on Xbox music match.

In Xbox Music + Videos on my 920 I have "Xbox Music cloud collection" switched on. Do I need to do anything additional on my PC, on the phone or at Xbox.com to make them show up in my music list on the phone?

So far I got nothing there except for the one song I bought directly from MS via Zune Music a while ago.

jtwright

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been working with MS on this, and they say the only way to get this to work is through Xbox music pass. That kind of defeats the purpose, since Xbox music pass means you have access to all music on Xbox, not just yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre