Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

hey all I have had a 3gs for 3 years and was not impressed by the 5. I really have no love for android (a little to boring for me) and so I have been looking at windows phone 8 and love the tiles...anyways I have a few questions I would like answered...

1. moving music over isnt so important as I could just use my 3gs as an ipod but the 920 has 32 gigs of storage so can I move music from my PC (in the itunes folder) directly over to the 920? I saw some people complaining about the music app and xbox music app over playlists but meh, im not worried about play lists.

2. how do custom ring tones work? will the 920 use mprs? can i move them ovev with explorer?

3. Security...can websites install self extracting MSIs or tracking cookies on the phone? Is it as secure as IOS (the only way a program gets on your phone is if you download it from the app store?) I have seen the security feature that tells you not to go to a page but does that mean that you can install crap from a normal webpage...

Is there anything really cool any of you can think of that makes this phone stand out more?

If I can think of more I will add them.

I wish the 920 could take pictures while taking video but thats not as important...

Thanks all...
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    1 - Yes, music can be moved from iTunes/File system.

2 - Just download a ringtone app from the windows store.

3 - No! Windows phone is secure, like any mobile device.

You can also bring custom ringtones over as MP3's, but they need to be less than 40 seconds, and less than 1 mb. there are guides online

Quote Originally Posted by iPwnza View Post
    1 - Yes, music can be moved from iTunes/File system.

2 - Just download a ringtone app from the windows store.

3 - No! Windows phone is secure, like any mobile device.
    thanks

2. ring tone app turns music I have into ringtones? do you know a good one?

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Do it. I had the iPhone for 3 years and just got a Lumia 920. This phone is much nicer and way smoother.

I can't count the number of things that are better but a few are (much better keyboard, voice input, live tiles, customization, even the audible alerts are much more pleasant.)

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Havik110 View Post
    thanks

2. ring tone app turns music I have into ringtones? do you know a good one?
    Get this program...

iDevice Manager - CNET Download.com

It allows you to access the root file system on your iPhone and then you can literally drag the ring tones off your iPhone onto your desktop and then into your WP8 ringtones folder. It'll convert the format automatically.

For some odd reason you cannot drag directly from your iPhone folder to your WP8 folder though. :)

thanks,,,its funny how important ring tones are but they are :)
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Havik110 View Post
    thanks,,,its funny how important ring tones are but they are :)
    The Lumia 920 actually comes with a set of very nice ringtones they had specially composed by an orchestra. I don't know what your musical taste is, but I love them.

There's more about that here, and you can also listen to the new tones...

New string tones for the new Lumia – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    The Lumia 820 comes with these new ringtones as well.

Global Posts
    32,259 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    If you like "old school" Nokia ringtones, you can get them in this free app.