Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. theeboredone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    325 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I was playing with the 920 at the AT&T store for an hour, and was playing with my friend's for a while earlier today. For the life of me, I could not figure out why it's that...if I type in an address in Nokia Maps, it will give me a list of directions, but not an option to start the navigation if I need it. No, I need to go to Nokia Drive to enable that. Doesn't that seem a bit redundant? Unless I'm missing something? I always found it convenient how you could do that in Google Maps.

    Total side note, when I was at the mall, City Lens did not even detect any of the food court places. Is there a way to add locations or does it not care for anything in the mall?
  2. sandman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Yeah. I finally got to play with some of the software today and it struck me as odd that Nokia Maps and Drive were 2 different apps. Drive is in beta, so maybe they will merge.

    Another interesting note is the maps I downloaded for Drive were available for Maps. WP sandboxes the apps so sharing local data shouldn't be possible. Seems Nokia has some tricks up their sleeves.
  3. txaggies07's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    197 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Yeah. I finally got to play with some of the software today and it struck me as odd that Nokia Maps and Drive were 2 different apps. Drive is in beta, so maybe they will merge.

    Another interesting note is the maps I downloaded for Drive were available for Maps. WP sandboxes the apps so sharing local data shouldn't be possible. Seems Nokia has some tricks up their sleeves.
    Sharing of maps was built into WP8.

    Also, I saw a demo where you could launch drive from maps. It was a nokia video that was on this site somewhere.
  4. Muessig's Avatar

    Posts
    5,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    If you load up Nokia Maps, search for where you want to go then when it finds it tap the location that appears on the map and info about the place comes up. Press get directions then scroll down to where the directions text is and the first thing I see is start navigation from Nokia Drive. From what I can see you have to be in car mode for the option to navigate from Drive.
  5. awesomeplant's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I come from two generations of Samsung Focus and while Nokia Drive seems very promising, I kind of miss my voice-guided navigation in the default MS Maps app that would read road names. Not getting that from Nokia Drive... :/

    I also miss her charming screw-ups... like when she told me to take 121 South towards "Feet Worth" (Ft. Worth, TX), or the time she suggested I turn left on "Federated States of Micronesia 407" (FM 407), as if somehow I was suddenly in the South Pacific. A for effort, though.. and adorable :)
  6. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Because there is too much awesome to fit into one app.
  7. cddigi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeplant View Post
    I come from two generations of Samsung Focus and while Nokia Drive seems very promising, I kind of miss my voice-guided navigation in the default MS Maps app that would read road names. Not getting that from Nokia Drive... :/

    I also miss her charming screw-ups... like when she told me to take 121 South towards "Feet Worth" (Ft. Worth, TX), or the time she suggested I turn left on "Federated States of Micronesia 407" (FM 407), as if somehow I was suddenly in the South Pacific. A for effort, though.. and adorable :)
    Nokia Drive does have turn-by-turn directions with spoken street names
  8. PhilR8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    You can launch Nokia Drive from within Nokia Maps. You get directions in Maps and you can see the route, and there is an option to launch Drive.
  9. awesomeplant's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cddigi View Post
    Nokia Drive does have turn-by-turn directions with spoken street names

    maybe not in all areas yet? Mine only speaks in generic terms, no street or exit names.
  10. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,416 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,395 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeplant View Post
    maybe not in all areas yet? Mine only speaks in generic terms, no street or exit names.
    On WP8/ Nokia Drive + Beta, some of the voices specifically mention spoken street names. I agree though that it's kind of silly to have them as separate apps.
  11. cherone21's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Mine does not say the street names either. Makes this app too co fusing
  12. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,416 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,395 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    You need to select the right voices:

    awesomeplant likes this.
  13. jwinch2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    599 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    If you load up Nokia Maps, search for where you want to go then when it finds it tap the location that appears on the map and info about the place comes up. Press get directions then scroll down to where the directions text is and the first thing I see is start navigation from Nokia Drive. From what I can see you have to be in car mode for the option to navigate from Drive.
    Is there a car mode function on the 920 that you are aware of? What I am thinking of is that everything goes into landscape, etc.

    Also, is there a way to navigate to an address or location via voice direction? With my droid, I could just hit the search function, the mic, and say "navigate to..." and it would take care of the rest.

    In playing around with the maps and nokia drive, I get the message that maps are not available in my country yet. Odd

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by jwinch2; 11-11-2012 at 10:28 PM.
  14. Muessig's Avatar

    Posts
    5,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Is there a car mode function on the 920 that you are aware of? What I am thinking of is that everything goes into landscape, etc.
    If you use Nokia Drive you can - whether you launch it from Maps or just use Drive, when you're navigating and it's giving you turn by turn directions, if you put your phone landscape it will look like pretty much any GPS device does. If you hear 3 beeps it's Drive telling you that you're speeding and you can turn the beeps off :P

    Also, is there a way to navigate to an address or location via voice direction? With my droid, I could just hit the search function, the mic, and say "navigate to..." and it would take care of the rest.
    It seems that in WP8 you can press down the windows icon in the middle - press and hold it and say "Open <app>" and the app will open. Any voice commands within apps dont seems to be implemented yet but im pretty sure it's possible - we'll have to wait for this I think.

    In playing around with the maps and nokia drive, I get the message that maps are not available in my country yet. Odd
    Maybe this functionality isn't in your area yet or have you tried to download the maps for your country or is this the message you're talking about?
  15. jwinch2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    599 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    If you use Nokia Drive you can - whether you launch it from Maps or just use Drive, when you're navigating and it's giving you turn by turn directions, if you put your phone landscape it will look like pretty much any GPS device does. If you hear 3 beeps it's Drive telling you that you're speeding and you can turn the beeps off :P



    It seems that in WP8 you can press down the windows icon in the middle - press and hold it and say "Open <app>" and the app will open. Any voice commands within apps dont seems to be implemented yet but im pretty sure it's possible - we'll have to wait for this I think.



    Maybe this functionality isn't in your area yet or have you tried to download the maps for your country or is this the message you're talking about?
    I downloaded the maps afterwards, but i was under the impression that I should have been able to navigate regardless, but that it would cost me some data.
  16. Muessig's Avatar

    Posts
    5,433 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    There is an options to use the connection to search or not.

Posting Permissions

";