New to WP8 today might be leaving already 2

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia 820

Gmail update plain just sucks

I have tried it with it setup as exchange and the default

I have it set as items arrive

Sometimes its instant, sometimes 5 minutes, several time its been nearly 30 and I've gone and refreshed manually.

signal not the issue, 10 to 18mbps at home and 2 to 3.5mbps at work

3 days of poor email delivery reliability

the .live.co.uk one is lighting fast

just the gmail sucks

Pity Cause I do love the OS

ideas ?

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia 820

Gmail update plain just sucks

I have tried it with it setup as exchange and the default

I have it set as items arrive

Sometimes its instant, sometimes 5 minutes, several time its been nearly 30 and I've gone and refreshed manually.

signal not the issue, 10 to 18mbps at home and 2 to 3.5mbps at work

3 days of poor email delivery reliability

the .live.co.uk one is lighting fast

just the gmail sucks

Pity Cause I do love the OS

ideas ?

When you create the account simply choose Gmail instead of exchange. I haven't had any problems with sporadic arrival times, in fact I usually get it on my phone before my MacBook and website.

RandomNinjaAtk

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered using a new email provider?

Obviously that is not ideal, I've never been a huge gmail guy, but I know many are. I personally have my own personal email like: myname@myname.com. This way I can switch providers on the fly because I forward all my mail. Makes it easy to change! I've gone from hotmail.com -> mac.com -> me.com -> gmail.com -> outlook.com. So I've come full circle, but I can change to any provider I want without issue as a result.

Some others who use gmail with there phones can chime in and probably assist better. But I love the freedom of choice that my setup provides me and would recommend it.

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
When you create the account simply choose Gmail instead of exchange. I haven't had any problems with sporadic arrival times, in fact I usually get it on my phone before my MacBook and website.

I have been having the exact opposite experience

Have seen the email show up in gmail in browser

decided not open it.

gone for a shower, 30 minutes later the lumia has still not picked it up :confused:

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the negative is that it isn't working for you, but the positive is that it isn't a WP8 problem. Depending on how much customization you put into your phone you can consider doing a hard reset or exchanging it to see if that fixes the problem. It isn't ideal but it is certainly a random bug, not a design flaw.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Forward all your google emails to outlook. Set outlook as your only inbox on your phone. One inbox - instant delivery - much better web interface - super email powers.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what VP said. Ditch Gmail, open up a Live.com/Outlook.com address, and set it to fetch your old Gmails. Not only is your email faster and better, but you also no longer have Google scraping the contents of all of your e-mail and selling your private data to advertisers.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered using a new email provider?

Obviously that is not ideal, I've never been a huge gmail guy, but I know many are. I personally have my own personal email like: myname@myname.com. This way I can switch providers on the fly because I forward all my mail. Makes it easy to change! I've gone from hotmail.com -> mac.com -> me.com -> gmail.com -> outlook.com. So I've come full circle, but I can change to any provider I want without issue as a result.

Some others who use gmail with there phones can chime in and probably assist better. But I love the freedom of choice that my setup provides me and would recommend it.
Are you doing this by running your own mailserver (linux for example) or having the mail service on your domain (hosted elsewhere)?

Are you forwarding your hotmail.com/gmail.com/whichever-service.com to your domain or are you forwarding your domain to your external mailservice?

I'm curious because this sounds like a really good idea.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what VP said. Ditch Gmail, open up a Live.com/Outlook.com address, and set it to fetch your old Gmails. Not only is your email faster and better, but you also no longer have Google scraping the contents of all of your e-mail and selling your private data to advertisers.

This is a good idea as well. I still use my old hotmail address but I use several aliases with it.

Unrelated question: Is it difficult to switch a hotmail address to an outlook/live address? I have my xbox account associated with this email address and wouldn't want that to get messed around in the switchover.

For the OP, the problem is gmail. As a software developer and an enthusiast network administrator I have nothing but problems with it and cannot find a solution. I have IMAP enabled on gmail.com and when syncing with my outlook 2010 it is slow, unreliable and it's flagging behaviour is just flat out atrocious. No other email service has given me so many problems.

Though I can say one thing, my gmail works well on my Windows Phone 7. I have it set to deliver immediately and, from what I can tell, it works fine. I get emails to both accounts and oftentimes I have the gmail set as a backup, but it will receive newsletters and stuff at the exact same time my hotmail account does on my phone. I think what you need to do is log onto gmail's web interface and make sure you have IMAP enabled. POP3 is not sync friendly.

RandomNinjaAtk

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you doing this by running your own mailserver (linux for example) or having the mail service on your domain (hosted elsewhere)?

Are you forwarding your hotmail.com/gmail.com/whichever-service.com to your domain or are you forwarding your domain to your external mailservice?

I'm curious because this sounds like a really good idea.

I have my own web server with my company that hosts my domain/website. It makes it really easy to move around and more professional when your giving out your email address at a custom domain name rather then using gmal.com/outlook.com/yahoo.com and etc...

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Unrelated question: Is it difficult to switch a hotmail address to an outlook/live address? I have my xbox account associated with this email address and wouldn't want that to get messed around in the switchover.

Nope. In fact, there's nothing you need to do... just log in via Outlook.com and it's all there, with a fancy new UI.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Nope. In fact, there's nothing you need to do... just log in via Outlook.com and it's all there, with a fancy new UI.
Ok cool. I just logged in there and it said my email was "converted" to outlook.com. Had me worried for a sec until I noticed it said that my email address would stay the same.

Now that that's done, how difficult would it be (or even possible) to change my @hotmail.com address to be @outlook.com or @live.com?

The "Get new ID" simply tried to create an alias, which I already know how. Is it even possible to change the core ID of the account?

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
ok

i think this phone is faulty

tryed sending both the gmail and the .live.co.uk accounts from a different account

broswer show the email

iphone got both instant

lumia got the gmail, but is still waiting for the live.co.uk

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
ok

i think this phone is faulty

tryed sending both the gmail and the .live.co.uk accounts from a different account

broswer show the email

iphone got both instant

lumia got the gmail, but is still waiting for the live.co.uk

just test twice more

I think we have a faulty Lumia here.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok cool. I just logged in there and it said my email was "converted" to outlook.com. Had me worried for a sec until I noticed it said that my email address would stay the same.

Now that that's done, how difficult would it be (or even possible) to change my @hotmail.com address to be @outlook.com or @live.com?

The "Get new ID" simply tried to create an alias, which I already know how. Is it even possible to change the core ID of the account?

I changed from a hotmail address to an outlook address. It's not hard, but it will involve resetting your WP. I don't remember all the steps, but it wasn't to bad.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

You can create an alias at Outlook.com that sends e-mail to your hotmail account. I don't think you can change the "core" account...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte