Display unread email on mail tile

BuddhaLite

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
The mail live tile only shows new email received since last opening. Is there a way to make the live tile display unread email all the time instead of having to open the app and going to the unread view?

Chad Boyd

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
This is the single most annoying thing so far about this new phone. I can't just glance at it to see how many unread emails I have. I can't trust the tiles.

Sure, it will show me the 'unread' count, until I click on the tile. Then it resets to 0, even though there could still be dozens of unread emails in my inbox.

Most of the time, I don't have a minute or more to go in to the mail application and clear our all unread messages. I just need to know, at a glance, what's going on.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Funny that one of my favorite features of winphone is that it resets the count after I open my email. I might not have time to go through the crap, but now I know something has changed since I last opened. Would I remember I had 12 and now I have 13? No. But I will see the 1.

Chad Boyd

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Some people like it. Some don't. I'm finding that, of the people that don't like it, most are primarily corporate users who are used to the iPhone and Blackberry way of doing things. They want to see how many unread messages there are, but don't always have time to go through every one of them. The problem here is that they might open mail to answer one or two messages, but don't have time to address everything. When the mail app is closed, now it's out of sight, so there isn't the constant reminder that "Hey, you still have mail to look at!".

Again, for home/personal use, most mail can wait anyway, so it's not a big deal. For corporate mail, it's usually more of an issue. My suggestion is to at least let it be set as an option.

Also, I have multiple watched folders under my work inbox. I only receive notifications for the Inbox...not any of the watched sub-folders.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have WP so take this as a guess, can you create a tile for the watched folders?

also, as a heavy corporate user, I also have a few hundred unread mails. most I see the subject and don't need to read when mobile, and I move on, I just want to know what's new. I'll address non-urgent emails when I get back on my laptop.

Chad Boyd

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can create a pin for each watched folder.
I have 14 watched folders though, so that's just going to make my tile screen look terrible.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Two things:

1) The number is a number of items since you last looked, but the number of unread messages.
2) in the mail app, just swipe left and you'll get to the unread tab to work with your unread messages.

I prefer the current way because, as others have said, it's easy to know that any number means "mail has arrived." If the count were of unread messages, I would need to be keep track of the number I have at any time so that I could do the subtraction to determine if anything new had come in that required my attention.

Chad Boyd

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Understood. There are people on both sides of this.

- Those that only want to see the new message count since they last opened the mail tile.
- Those that are interested in keeping track of all unread items in their inbox and watched folders at all times.

I would just like the option of being able to turn on ability to keep the number updated with all unread messages. I don't want to remove how it is for everyone else. I just want the option.

I have polled several people in Sr. management here, and they have all commented that they would rather know how many items are waiting at any given time than just get notified of new messages. This seems like it's more of an issue with those that have come from Blackberry's or iPhones. Not having this capability is a deal-breaker for many of the executives at my company (and I suspect others), which would hinder Windows 8 Phone from getting good penetration in to the corporate market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)