Switched from WP7 to WP8, can someone please guide me step by step...

busywithbeans

May 19, 2012
Visit site
...on how to transfer everything over to my new device? I was using a Samsung Focus and switched to a Lumia 920. The person @ AT&T did NOT copy my SIM card, so it's literally like I started all over. It kinda blows my mind that there's no full device backup option available, and I can't believe the Lumia 920 isn't supported here: Phones Supported

I'm very paranoid about losing all the photos on my Focus, as I have tons of them from vacations or what not. I never synced them with Zune on my PC before; just music.

If anyone can give me a how to instruction manual for dummies, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Sync them to your PC using Zune. Or upload them to FaceBook or SkyDrive.

I wasn't able to view the video, but this may be what you're looking for to sync them.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zzoqEfXv51o[/YT]​

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sync your photos to your laptop. Sync your contacts to you associated email client. [Gmail/hotmail/yahoo...]

Or you could upload your photos to skydrive.

mshaw2k

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just used the Zune software which pulls all my photos to the PC from the wp7 and then selected the best ones i wanted back onto the 920 using the sync software. Also if u use the skydrive when u log into the phone with ur id it will pull these to the phone over the cloud. I enabled it but its worth selecting if u so wish to, the full quality (over wifi) auto upload to skydrive this way until such time as Microsoft pull their finger out with a decent bit of sync software u will always have them in the cloud.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sims are largely irrelevant when it comes to contents when it comes to Windows Phone 7 and 8. I simply uploaded photos from my WP7 phone to store Sky Drive and took off from there.

The worst part for me was remembering what apps I used to use. But then, losing the ones I didn't remember was no bad thing.

busywithbeans

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. My main concern is just making sure that I don't lose any of the photos when syncing. The whole "When you delete something, it will be removed from your device as well as your computer" thing makes me nervous.

So just to confirm: there's no way to transfer all my texts and game saves from my Focus to my Lumia, correct?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can easily see your app purchase history via Zune.
Sims are largely irrelevant when it comes to contents when it comes to Windows Phone 7 and 8. I simply uploaded photos from my WP7 phone to store Sky Drive and took off from there.

The worst part for me was remembering what apps I used to use. But then, losing the ones I didn't remember was no bad thing.

mshaw2k

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately not, i just had a scan through my 900 made sure all my photos had synced, and made the jump, with regards to apps u can do it all online using the wp website. Its worth noting that for the vibration rattle problem i am on my second 920 and providing u have set it up right all txts, apps and settings etc sync to the cloud. So this (should) be the last time u have to worry. Hope this helps.
P.S. There is a Nokia app called data transfer not sure if this would do the deed

busywithbeans

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately not, i just had a scan through my 900 made sure all my photos had synced, and made the jump, with regards to apps u can do it all online using the wp website. Its worth noting that for the vibration rattle problem i am on my second 920 and providing u have set it up right all txts, apps and settings etc sync to the cloud. So this (should) be the last time u have to worry. Hope this helps.
P.S. There is a Nokia app called data transfer not sure if this would do the deed

Is there a way to find out how many photos you have on your device?

mshaw2k

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The zune software will automatically sync all the photos that u take on the phone, the only issue you will have is if you havnt saved them from a text for example, u will have to manually trawl through these and save them manually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism