How to add custom keyboard shortcuts? (aka text expansion)

jetshine

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
New to WP8. How do you add custom keyboard shortcuts to WP?

For example: the letter combination "omw" is replaced by "on my way" when you type it on the keyboard

I would like to use this especially for my email address, since I have to type it in so frequently.

I found an article that suggests that it is possible Use Keyword Shortcuts on Your Smartphone to Avoid Unnecessary Typing
.. but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
not sure if you can do it this way..

Windows Phone 8 to offer downloadable Text Suggestions | Windows Phone Central

"Type the word you want to spell, hit space, and then tap it and it'll appear first in the suggestion list above the keyboard with a +in front of it. Tap that and it'll be added to your dictionary of suggestions. I hate that sometimes I'll accidentally click on the misspelled word and it'll get added to the dictionary and there is currently no way to view the list of added words and remove individual ones, so you'll have to delete all custom words and bit by bit add them back in."

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have not found a way to add text expansion. Ali Babba correctly notes that you can add custom words to your dictionary. I was able to add some custom non-sense words as a test, but it would not let me add my e-mail address. It must not work with special characters or punctuation marks.

This is a major bummer. On iOS I had a keyboard shortcut where I'd type "ppp" and it would automatically write out my email address. I hope WP8 adds comparable functionality soon.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone seen an app that might provide text expansion? Not sure it wouldn't just be a hassle if not fully integrated.

Or is there maybe some workaround I haven't thought of?

Jyad Murr

May 18, 2013
Visit site
If you find it please post or inform me, that is the only thing the amazing word suggestion of windows 8 lacks, I compared all phones, it's the best here but lacks custom keyboard shortcuts :(

umangpop777

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
If you are on developer preview there is no option to add the word to dictionary. But if you are on nokia firmware by default there is option to add this to your dictionary.
After that you can just insert full word after typing initial words.

NNoah

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
If you are on developer preview there is no option to add the word to dictionary. But if you are on nokia firmware by default there is option to add this to your dictionary.
After that you can just insert full word after typing initial words.

Are you also able to teach it shortcuts like: omw -> on my way ?

mopleez1952

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
In another thread I asked if there was a date stamp. I've gotten no help. OK developers, this is your cue! I'd love to be able to insert date, or date & time into say a Word doc. Help me!

phil via Nokia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3