XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By davedavedavedave
  • 1 Post By MechanizedSunrise
  • 1 Post By St_Deborah
  1. nzrocketman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Is it better to transfer all my google contacts and calendars windows live and only use google as my emails
  2. MojoHand69's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    My phone arrives this week. I am hoping to keep my contacts in google and just sync gmail, contacts and calendar. I have been using google for years now and hope that the WP8 synchronization is smooth.
  3. Tyresian's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I don't think either is better. Both work equally well. I synced with my Google on Android, 2 WP7 phones, and now my Lumia 920 with Google seamlessly.
  4. davedavedavedave's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    As previously said, either should be fine. I recently migrated everything from Gmail to Hotmail for 1 simple reason, the contact pictures. In Gmail, no matter the quality of picture associated with a contact, it would always look pixalated on the phone. Hotmail doesnt have any of these restrictions.
    Illicit Hero likes this.
  5. gapost's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    788 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,879 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Does WP 8 now pull in categories from Google Contacts?
  6. MechanizedSunrise's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Just me personally, I setup a Live account specifically for my phone. I have my Outlook contacts and calendars synced to it. I also have my linkedin and my microsoft dev stuff all linked to it.

    I prefer this over Gmail mainly because I like to compartmentalize things. Gmail sync (at least when I tried it a while ago) would also sync my gchat list into my contacts. I ended up with a ton of random email addresses/usernames that I didn't feel like linking.

    But I'm just weird like that.
    cedarlog likes this.
  7. Agent-P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I use Google calendar and Gmail, but Live for my contacts.

    Quote Originally Posted by davedavedavedave View Post
    As previously said, either should be fine. I recently migrated everything from Gmail to Hotmail for 1 simple reason, the contact pictures. In Gmail, no matter the quality of picture associated with a contact, it would always look pixalated on the phone. Hotmail doesnt have any of these restrictions.
    This is the same reason I moved my contacts from Gmail to Live. Although I think recently Google fixed this, but I'm not going through the trouble of moving them back.
  8. mdameron's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Do Android or iOS phones sync with Live contacts? If not, go Google so you won't be trapped in the Windows Phone ecosystem.
  9. fwaits's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    876 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    I would say unless you have a strong need/desire to keep the contacts/calendars on Google, having them on Live/Outlook.com would be more "native" and easier to manage/sync across MS products assuming you are planning to take advantage of the Windows ecosystem.
  10. St_Deborah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    I'm just starting to move some of my main contacts over from gmail because all of the pictures I save as a google contact come out looking grainy, like from my old-school Nextel camera phone. Terrible. I just recently found out that the Windows Live contacts don't have this problem when adding a photo.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    cedarlog likes this.
  11. mdameron's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Deborah View Post
    I'm just starting to move some of my main contacts over from gmail because all of the pictures I save as a google contact come out looking grainy, like from my old-school Nextel camera phone. Terrible. I just recently found out that the Windows Live contacts don't have this problem when adding a photo.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    You go through the hassle of manually saving a picture for each contact in Live?
  12. St_Deborah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    I guess so.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  13. Coolknight1968's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    797 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Use Live. Add the pictures on your phone, real good app.
    Last edited by Coolknight1968; 11-18-2012 at 04:30 PM.
  14. simpkijd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    I'd use Google for the following reason: Your contacts will follow you if you decide to move on to another system. I don;t see that ability to do so if you use Live.
  15. Rico's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by simpkijd View Post
    I'd use Google for the following reason: Your contacts will follow you if you decide to move on to another system. I don;t see that ability to do so if you use Live.
    You can import your Live contacts on iOS and Android. No worries there.
  16. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    649 Posts
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Obi Juan View Post
    Do Android or iOS phones sync with Live contacts? If not, go Google so you won't be trapped in the Windows Phone ecosystem.
    You know, it's really, Really, REALLY easy to export and import contacts in Windows Live. Just as easy with google.

    You would never be "trapped" in the WP ecosystem just because that's where your contacts live. lol.
  17. FredW3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    I am thinking about going back to Google to store contactacts and calendar. MS doesn't have a way to sync calendars from Outllok (without Exchange) to live. It apparently takes a separate product (which is not free) to do this. Google gives this functionality free.

    If anyone knows how to accomplish this through MS, please let me know. I was really hoping to get out of the Google ecosystem completely.
  18. entropism's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    You need to change the settings to only sync contacts with phone numbers. Makes things a LOT easier.


    Quote Originally Posted by MechanizedSunrise View Post
    Just me personally, I setup a Live account specifically for my phone. I have my Outlook contacts and calendars synced to it. I also have my linkedin and my microsoft dev stuff all linked to it.

    I prefer this over Gmail mainly because I like to compartmentalize things. Gmail sync (at least when I tried it a while ago) would also sync my gchat list into my contacts. I ended up with a ton of random email addresses/usernames that I didn't feel like linking.

    But I'm just weird like that.
  19. mdameron's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    If you use gmail, you should use google for your contacts for the sole reason of easily emailing from a PC.

Posting Permissions