Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MechanizedSunrise
  • 1 Post By St_Deborah

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Is it better to transfer all my google contacts and calendars windows live and only use google as my emails

My phone arrives this week. I am hoping to keep my contacts in google and just sync gmail, contacts and calendar. I have been using google for years now and hope that the WP8 synchronization is smooth.

I don't think either is better. Both work equally well. I synced with my Google on Android, 2 WP7 phones, and now my Lumia 920 with Google seamlessly.
    As previously said, either should be fine. I recently migrated everything from Gmail to Hotmail for 1 simple reason, the contact pictures. In Gmail, no matter the quality of picture associated with a contact, it would always look pixalated on the phone. Hotmail doesnt have any of these restrictions.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,810 Global Posts
    Does WP 8 now pull in categories from Google Contacts?
    Just me personally, I setup a Live account specifically for my phone. I have my Outlook contacts and calendars synced to it. I also have my linkedin and my microsoft dev stuff all linked to it.

I prefer this over Gmail mainly because I like to compartmentalize things. Gmail sync (at least when I tried it a while ago) would also sync my gchat list into my contacts. I ended up with a ton of random email addresses/usernames that I didn't feel like linking.

But I'm just weird like that.
    cedarlog likes this.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I use Google calendar and Gmail, but Live for my contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by davedavedavedave View Post
    As previously said, either should be fine. I recently migrated everything from Gmail to Hotmail for 1 simple reason, the contact pictures. In Gmail, no matter the quality of picture associated with a contact, it would always look pixalated on the phone. Hotmail doesnt have any of these restrictions.
    This is the same reason I moved my contacts from Gmail to Live. Although I think recently Google fixed this, but I'm not going through the trouble of moving them back.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Do Android or iOS phones sync with Live contacts? If not, go Google so you won't be trapped in the Windows Phone ecosystem.

I would say unless you have a strong need/desire to keep the contacts/calendars on Google, having them on Live/Outlook.com would be more "native" and easier to manage/sync across MS products assuming you are planning to take advantage of the Windows ecosystem.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I'm just starting to move some of my main contacts over from gmail because all of the pictures I save as a google contact come out looking grainy, like from my old-school Nextel camera phone. Terrible. I just recently found out that the Windows Live contacts don't have this problem when adding a photo.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    cedarlog likes this.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Deborah View Post
    I'm just starting to move some of my main contacts over from gmail because all of the pictures I save as a google contact come out looking grainy, like from my old-school Nextel camera phone. Terrible. I just recently found out that the Windows Live contacts don't have this problem when adding a photo.

You go through the hassle of manually saving a picture for each contact in Live?

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I guess so.
    Use Live. Add the pictures on your phone, real good app.
    Last edited by Coolknight1968; 11-18-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

I'd use Google for the following reason: Your contacts will follow you if you decide to move on to another system. I don;t see that ability to do so if you use Live.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simpkijd View Post
    I'd use Google for the following reason: Your contacts will follow you if you decide to move on to another system. I don;t see that ability to do so if you use Live.
    You can import your Live contacts on iOS and Android. No worries there.
    Microsoft Store employee; opinions are mine.

I'm on the Twitters.

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Obi Juan View Post
    Do Android or iOS phones sync with Live contacts? If not, go Google so you won't be trapped in the Windows Phone ecosystem.
    You know, it's really, Really, REALLY easy to export and import contacts in Windows Live. Just as easy with google.

You would never be "trapped" in the WP ecosystem just because that's where your contacts live. lol.

I am thinking about going back to Google to store contactacts and calendar. MS doesn't have a way to sync calendars from Outllok (without Exchange) to live. It apparently takes a separate product (which is not free) to do this. Google gives this functionality free.

If anyone knows how to accomplish this through MS, please let me know. I was really hoping to get out of the Google ecosystem completely.

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    You need to change the settings to only sync contacts with phone numbers. Makes things a LOT easier.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanizedSunrise View Post
    Just me personally, I setup a Live account specifically for my phone. I have my Outlook contacts and calendars synced to it. I also have my linkedin and my microsoft dev stuff all linked to it.

I prefer this over Gmail mainly because I like to compartmentalize things. Gmail sync (at least when I tried it a while ago) would also sync my gchat list into my contacts. I ended up with a ton of random email addresses/usernames that I didn't feel like linking.

But I'm just weird like that.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    If you use gmail, you should use google for your contacts for the sole reason of easily emailing from a PC.