Holy crap, syncing with WP8 is a trainwreck.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
first of all we need to understand a few things, this is a brand new, completely re-imagined OS. therefor, there is going to be a learning curve, and thus some of our everyday computing needs to be polished a bit more. so although it may be a trainwreck right now, i can assure you these issues will be addressed. MS didnt switch a perfectly functional windows 7 to windows 8 just for the sake of metro, this is the future. as for xbox music, this is basically a music app and streaming service for the time being, good for listening to music and nothing more. so for the time being, and all of those running windows 8, switch to classic mode, and downloand .NET Framework runtime 2.0.( just bing .NET framework if windows doesnt automatically find it and download it ) and then download the zune software. it still works perfectly and an efficient way to manage your library. if all else fails, media monkey is a great alternative, i actually used this instead of itunes for my wifes iphone because i prefered it over itunes. it is great software that gets the job done.

so moral of the story is, use zune for now, and be patient. we all know this is the future and will certainly only get better! i still get frustrated daily , but it is a learning experience,and once we get used to it, it will be so much faster and efficient at delivering content.
given that we are paid users and there are definitely better alternatives on the market, why would we bother giving MSFT a try? At least apple releases a statement saying the map sucks and we take your concern seriously (and it's free).

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
indeed, and nobody forced us to purchase it. doing research before you buy something is important. i knew going into this it was basically beta. i chose to adopt what i believe in, knowing that it can only get better from here. and even with these limitations, i still prefer it over apple, or android.

better alternatives is a matter of opinion. and apple only released a statement because they were forced to. their maps arent the only issues with ios 6, there is a myriad of them. even my apple ****** friends hate ios 6 thus far, and that new iphone is very cheaply made with many design flaws.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
there is a ton of functionality still missing with xbox music, i agree. but i dont see why zune wont work? it is still available for download. i am using it now... with no issues.zune can sync podcasts and smart playlist no problem?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
+1, media monkey is a great option, not sure why more people dont use it if they have issues with other software options.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
there is a ton of functionality still missing with xbox music, i agree. but i dont see why zune wont work? it is still available for download. i am using it now... with no issues.zune can sync podcasts and smart playlist no problem?

Zune can't sync podcasts or smart playlists (or anything really) to WP8.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i get my lumia 920 tomorrow so i havent tried it with a windows phone 8 device.
have you tried media monkey? i used this with no issues ni the past

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
MM wont work the entire issue is DRM. WP8 is just fail right now. My 920 is going back I will not be a beta tester for $450 + tax

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
MM wont work the entire issue is DRM. WP8 is just fail right now. My 920 is going back I will not be a beta tester for $450 + tax

GpPhR.gif

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
that would only be the case with xbox pass music... your purchased content will sync without issues. as for podacasts, they can be downloaded directly from phone.

if you send it back then what? an iphone 5? also a fail, a galaxy s3? not any better... be patient with it...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
that would only be the case with xbox pass music... your purchased content will sync without issues. as for podacasts, they can be downloaded directly from phone.

if you send it back then what? an iphone 5? also a fail, a galaxy s3? not any better... be patient with it...

I agree here...I used Android for 2 years and also had a work issued iPhone. iPhone was stable but painfully boring. Android, over time and even with clean installed phones, wouldn't stop locking up. I sold my Android for my Lumua 920 and I am so happy with it, I turned my work issued iPhone and will just use my personal phone for everything.

I've been a little impatient with the music but will just hang on to my Zune for a while longer and use my phone for spur of the moment music needs with my XBOX Music Pass.

Fallen Cpt Jack

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a 920 with Windows 8 Pro and an Xbox Music Pass, and I deleted my entire Zune collection and re-downloaded it in W8. I have two problems and one fix - for the DRM problem, I've found that once I try to play the song on the phone once and I get the DRM error, I can play it fine after that. So, after I download a new album, I just head over to the phone and give it a run-through to make it work normally. Strange, I know, but it works in my case.

The only other thing that annoys me is that the "Cloud Collection" music doubles up with my Xbox Pass music. So, if I leave Cloud Collection turned on, I get to see everything twice, and Play All and Smart DJ will pick out both local and cloud music at random.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Me no I go back to my 900 WP7 FTW!

Last edited:

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a 920 with Windows 8 Pro and an Xbox Music Pass, and I deleted my entire Zune collection and re-downloaded it in W8. I have two problems and one fix - for the DRM problem, I've found that once I try to play the song on the phone once and I get the DRM error, I can play it fine after that. So, after I download a new album, I just head over to the phone and give it a run-through to make it work normally. Strange, I know, but it works in my case.

The only other thing that annoys me is that the "Cloud Collection" music doubles up with my Xbox Pass music. So, if I leave Cloud Collection turned on, I get to see everything twice, and Play All and Smart DJ will pick out both local and cloud music at random.

Yeah. I saw the double up issue too when the cloud setting was on. I really wouldn't gave minded the cloud setting on if on an unlimited data plan... I don't need the music to burn up my data allotment. However, the doubling of songs and albums suck.

unit_three

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Windows 7 and I refreshed my music library into iTunes and then ran the music sync with 250+ songs... and it bombed with 47 songs to go.

I noticed it would briefly list the name of the song right before it crashed so I removed the song from the playlist, and then the sync continued. Had to do this process for 2 songs and finally the sync finished successfully.

Excuse my taste in music, but the the songs were:

1. Dashboard Confessional -- The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most
  2. Brand New -- Sic Transit Gloria ... Glory Fades

I haven't tested yet, but I'm thinking #1 is maybe due to length? And then #2 bugged out because the name has periods (".") in it? I agree with everyone else that Microsoft dropped the ball completely here. I can't recommend WP8 for anyone now because of this BS. I had convinced my wife to drop iTunes for Zune when she got WP7 and now I have to convince her to move back. This so stupid I'm just never going to leave iTunes again since that's the only constant here.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Give them an actual chance to address the situation. People are freaking out and expecting instant solutions - this is the world of software not magic. First the root causes have to be discovered then the remedy developed, coded and tested. They'll get it but it takes some time.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Give them an actual chance to address the situation. People are freaking out and expecting instant solutions - this is the world of software not magic. First the root causes have to be discovered then the remedy developed, coded and tested. They'll get it but it takes some time.

They did address the situation they told us to vote if we want it to work on WP8...FAIL

unit_three

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

While Microsoft is usually good at eating their own dog food, I don't think they did this time. It's clear this desktop app was on the backburner and received little to no testing. Having your end users test for you is the best way to make them mad. The decision to push Windows Phone users over to iTunes is just confusing. They chose to spend time making their desktop app work with a competitors tool and left their own users out to dry. I haven't been this upset since my first Android phone.

Anyway, besides this Wp8 is great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros