Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Squatting Hen
  • 1 Post By mlm1950
  1. cp2_4eva's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
       #1  
    Hi all. So, the 8X is cool, but something tells me (other than the phantom info we've heard from mystery sources) that HTC will release a better WP8 device in the coming month. I mean they had the One X, and now the One X+. They had the Titan, and the the Titan 2? This is how it's looked for the last year. So with many folks passing on the 8x for the 920, do you think HTC would release a big brother to the 8x? We've heard of a rumored Zenith, but it's just that...a rumor. A 4.7 inch screen with 32 GB of storage in the format of a 8x style would be nice. But that's just me being hopeful. I currently have the 920. I'm just hoping HTC give Nokia a more reputable competition with fair pricing.
    Last edited by cp2_4eva; 11-13-2012 at 01:03 PM.
  2. Squatting Hen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    868 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    #2  
    It's HTC, so very likely.
    alpinestars1z likes this.
  3. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,374 Posts
    #3  
    If you are only referring to flagship devices I would guess 6-8 months. They surely were bringing their biggest guns to the WP8 launch. To put something out any earlier would probably not provide them much benefit.

    I would expect Nokia to be even longer. They have a pretty large legup on everyone atm with the 920. It should be enough to buy them some time. You may see some devices that target the lower markets.

    I think Nokia will need to come with something different than the Lumia design.
  4. cp2_4eva's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    If you are only referring to flagship devices I would guess 6-8 months. They surely were bringing their biggest guns to the WP8 launch. To put something out any earlier would probably not provide them much benefit.

    I would expect Nokia to be even longer. They have a pretty large legup on everyone atm with the 920. It should be enough to buy them some time. You may see some devices that target the lower markets.

    I think Nokia will need to come with something different than the Lumia design.
    You think the Lumia design isn't their answer? Seems to be a likable look, not that I am defending them or anything. It already looks different than the competition.

    HTC needs to stop playin' with people and get with the program and get it right the first time. lol.
  5. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #5  
    I think HTC got it right with the 8X. The only real quibbles with it are the storage and no sd card slot. I doubt they put out a device with a better camera for some time, so storage and screen size are the only areas they will probably change in the near future.
  6. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,408 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    #6  
    I'm losing faith in HTC to deliver anything. They just announced the Droid DNA which has a 5" screen and 1080P rez, but only a stinking 2020 mHa battery and 16GB non expandable memory. Not good for a long term device, IMO.
  7. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,374 Posts
    #7  
    The Lumia 9xx/ N9 is a beautiful design. Its not going last forever though. I think they could get one more round of this design out the door before the cries for change begin to chant. Or it gets copied by everyone else.

    Nokia has a treasure-trove of very high quality designs from past efforts. Many of which the US has never seen before. It would be very easy for them to pull out some of those old models and retrofit them to run WP8.
  8. cp2_4eva's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
       #8  
    HTC always ALMOST gets it right. That DNA sounds sweet...except for that battery you were talking about tk. Makes no sense. The One X barely skips by with an 1800 mah. And now they have a 5 in. screen burning up battery life? Man, what is going on in their heads?

    The 8x was almost right. Storage is more important to people than they though. Then again, it could be the power users talking and then the average user may not use that much space. I don't know what type of research HTC is doing, but my logic tells me more storage is good. At least have an SD card slot dangit!!!
  9. Jalik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    The Lumia 9xx/ N9 is a beautiful design. Its not going last forever though. I think they could get one more round of this design out the door before the cries for change begin to chant. Or it gets copied by everyone else.



    Nokia has a treasure-trove of very high quality designs from past efforts. Many of which the US has never seen before. It would be very easy for them to pull out some of those old models and retrofit them to run WP8.

    Oh no! Please don't! They have alot of interesting designs in their shelves somewhere but they don't fit into out time anymore. And btw: reusing old phones for windows phone is what they accuse the other manufacturers for, isn't it? ;)
  10. mlm1950's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    480 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    The Lumia 9xx/ N9 is a beautiful design. Its not going last forever though. I think they could get one more round of this design out the door before the cries for change begin to chant. Or it gets copied by everyone else.

    Nokia has a treasure-trove of very high quality designs from past efforts. Many of which the US has never seen before. It would be very easy for them to pull out some of those old models and retrofit them to run WP8.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  11. mdameron's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    #11  
    Did no one learn from Titan -> Titan 2?

    Besides, no way they'll let their flagship be just a 4.3" phone.
  12. andrelamont's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #12  
    Most definitely...look at their history...

    + Expect rumors around Feb 2013....actual product in hand April/June
    + Expect (looking at one x+ as an example ) increase memory, faster CPU...NO SD CARD
  13. cp2_4eva's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrelamont View Post
    Most definitely...look at their history...

    + Expect rumors around Feb 2013....actual product in hand April/June
    + Expect (looking at one x+ as an example ) increase memory, faster CPU...NO SD CARD
    My sentiments exactly.
  14. brorim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cp2_4eva View Post
    Hi all. So, the 8X is cool, but something tells me (other than the phantom info we've heard from mystery sources) that HTC will release a better WP8 device in the coming month. I mean they had the One X, and now the One X+. They had the Titan, and the the Titan 2? This is how it's looked for the last year. So with many folks passing on the 8x for the 920, do you think HTC would release a big brother to the 8x? We've heard of a rumored Zenith, but it's just that...a rumor. A 4.7 inch screen with 32 GB of storage in the format of a 8x style would be nice. But that's just me being hopeful. I currently have the 920. I'm just hoping HTC give Nokia a more reputable competition with fair pricing.
    If there is one thing I'm tired of with regard to smart-phones it is without question the rumors.

    New this new that soon next week perhaps this perhaps that blah blah blah..

    I know one thing.. I have had my lumia 800 since February and it is without a doubt the best phone I have ever owned so WHY would I be out on the marked for a new one .. WHY ??? The design is good the apps I want are there the screen is good the wifi is good the mobile internet is good ..

    When I read local new sites it is often the case that I see a new rumor on the iEverything front.. I do not care ONE bit about apple products but I still have to be dragged through it everywhere. Same on wpcentral.. I do not want a new sales pitch showed down my throat every day. All I want is for my phone to work as best as possible at all times. IF and WHEN I want a new phone ill be on the marked searching through specs and what have you, but I'll do it at my own pace.

    There you go /rant off.
  15. MojoHand69's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cp2_4eva View Post
    HTC always ALMOST gets it right. That DNA sounds sweet...except for that battery you were talking about tk. Makes no sense. The One X barely skips by with an 1800 mah. And now they have a 5 in. screen burning up battery life? Man, what is going on in their heads?

    The 8x was almost right. Storage is more important to people than they though. Then again, it could be the power users talking and then the average user may not use that much space. I don't know what type of research HTC is doing, but my logic tells me more storage is good. At least have an SD card slot dangit!!!
    I think the 8X is perfect for the average user, and lets be realistic most users are not power users. Only so called power users require a lot storage. Otherwise the specs are great. In my view most phone cameras are overrated. Many people only use their phone cameras for quick shots of friends and scenery, not real photography.
  16. cp2_4eva's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    755 Posts
       #16  
    Exactly I have a Nikon d7000 for real pictures. Beat those pics. Lol.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

Posting Permissions