Text Messages Discretion is awful!

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What is the best way to get the devs attention do you think? Lonbrag is right, we need a site like Engadget or the verge to say something about this for a change.

blow it out of proportion and make it sound like a huge invasion of privacy/security flaw?

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense. Make up a derogatory story and blow out of proportion something that isn't even a bug and that all the mobile OSes do....:confused:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh, c'mon, let's be honest, kids. This is totally about "receiving naughty messages."

My ex once texted me with a super-blush-inducing photograph on an iPhone I was using. BOY was I lucky I hadn't laid it flat on the table in a meeting, because that photo popped up on the front screen and took up 3/4 of the "lock screen." The same thing happened to so many other iOS users that Apple ended up enabling a "hide text/picture message" option.

Fortunately, Microsoft doesn't allow such "sensitive attachments" to be viewed in preview mode via a toast notification -- it merely says something like "Media Attachment Received."

Loonytik

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
.....Fortunately, Microsoft doesn't allow such "sensitive attachments" to be viewed in preview mode via a toast notification -- it merely says something like "Media Attachment Received."

Which is similar to what it should say with a text message. "Message Received" or something to that affect.

Besides, unless the text is only a few words you're gonna have to open the text app to read what it says anyway. The snippet notification is pointless.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I like being able to preview my text messages. "Message Received" is darn near useless. You might as well skip having a notification at all.

I never understood the appeal of the clunky Android style of doing things.

Step 1: Receive useless notification with no real information in it.
Step 2: Unlock device.
Step 3: Pull down window shade notification center.
Step 4: Munge through two dozen useless notifications, including spam/ads from apps and lots of other irrelevant information.
Step 5: Tap the notification with the message you actually want.
Step 6: Wait for the app to (slowly) load.
Step 7: Hope the phone doesn't freeze or crash.
Step 8: Finally read the actual message.

Windows Phone:

Step 1: Read the message in the notification.
Step 2: If it's a long message or your want to reply, hit the notification to snappily open up the messaging hub.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
My guess is the UX people at MS are already ready working on a comprehensive solution for notification. It likely that security / privacy implications will be factored into this discussion.

In the mean time, have the party that's sending you sensitive data send it to you using an alternate communication texting application.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what phone General Petraeus and that lady reporter were using (I know it was the emails that did them in).

...But I see Microsoft as unlikely to change this unless its users continue to mention it all over the place, or Jessica Alba complains about it publicly.

When I see Jessica tonight I'll put a bug in her ear about it...

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what phone General Petraeus and that lady reporter were using (I know it was the emails that did them in).
Specifically, the threatening emails from the mistress (Broadwell) to the other lady (Kelley) who she thought was making a move. The General and the mistress used an email account that they both knew the password to, and communicated by saving email drafts. No email transmitted ;)

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Specifically, the threatening emails from the mistress to the other lady who she thought was making a move. The General and the mistress used an email account the both knew the password to, and communicated by saving email drafts. No email transmitted ;)

Great...

Now I have to remember to check my wife's email drafts now too.

J/K

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I like being able to preview my text messages. "Message Received" is darn near useless. You might as well skip having a notification at all.

I never understood the appeal of the clunky Android style of doing things.

Step 1: Receive useless notification with no real information in it.
Step 2: Unlock device.
Step 3: Pull down window shade notification center.
Step 4: Munge through two dozen useless notifications, including spam/ads from apps and lots of other irrelevant information.
Step 5: Tap the notification with the message you actually want.
Step 6: Wait for the app to (slowly) load.
Step 7: Hope the phone doesn't freeze or crash.
Step 8: Finally read the actual message.

Windows Phone:

Step 1: Read the message in the notification.
Step 2: If it's a long message or your want to reply, hit the notification to snappily open up the messaging hub.

You do a greater disservice to the WP community by bashing other platforms than you do to help it.

“Tart words make no friends; a spoonful of honey will catch more flies than a gallon of vinegar” - Benjamin Franklin

If you want someone to become a part of the WP community, have them seeing how nice we are and welcoming of others. Bashing, insulting, and even ignoring problems of the WP OS will only cause them to go somewhere else.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not bashing the Android platform. I'm criticizing it. I use all the major platforms, and they all have flaws. Noting them is criticism.

If someone decides not to consider something that may work better for him or her because of criticism of their "favorite platform," that's fundamentally irrational (and they're hurt most of all). This is not a religious debate, it's a usability discussion.

If others are unable to separate themselves from the smartphone platform they use, they're unlikely to consider a Windows Phone, iOS device, webOS device, Symbian device, Blackberry device, J2ME device, BREW device, or any other device. Such people are colloquially known as "fanboyz and fangurlz."

Oddash

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The notifications on my phone stopped popping up after I did a hard reset. I don't know what happened but I want them, back. :mad:

rdjward

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Brand new WP8 user here. Just came over from a Blackberry Bold 9780. As much as BB is behind the times, I think people can agree that as a messaging platform it is a solid performer. Anyway, I like the WP8 interface alot, it is very quick and smooth but I hope they fix this soon. As far as I'm concerned, when the phone is locked, there should be a "wall" where private info stays on the other side. I'd prefer it to say "new text message" or at most "text message from John Smith".

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it, if you leave your phone lying around that's your fault. If you don't want people seeing stuff on your phone keep it with you! I don't know why this is so easy for me but so hard for everybody else. Because if you phone is always with you there is no reason for anybody you dont want seeing stuff on it to see it.

That being said, they do need an option to hide the actual message in the notification. Just for usability and for people who don't know how to be more secure with their device.

rdjward

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Lying around I understand, that's a risk people shouldn't take. But say you're showing a website/game/app whatever to someone, it'd be nice if your GFs details on her plans for you and her that night didn't show up without warning!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo