Windows Phone Connector requires .NET framework???

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a Windows 7 machine and when I plugged in my new Lumia 920 it prompted me to install the Windows Phone connector software. I followed the prompts and was met with a .NET Framework 4.0 requirement pop-up window and a path that was not even clickable. Are you kidding me Microsoft? As a huge WP fan I find this to be completely absurd that this install isn't self contained. Not user friendly at all for non-techies. There is no excuse for this.

Requirements

To install the Windows Phone app for desktop, you'll need:
? A PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8
? Windows Phone 8

No mention of it there either.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Ha, if you're unhappy about having to install the .Net 4 framework, just wait until you actually try and use the connector. :)

ILya Koshkin

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I get the same pop-up.

Interestingly, .NET framework is installed on my computer, but the Windows Phone desktop app seems to be blissfully unaware of it, so I am not really sure what I am supposed to do now.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the Windows Phone app yesterday. Hadn't tried it until reading this thread. Just plugged in my phone and it sees everything to problem. Found my itunes so I could sync to phone, except for the ones with rights issues ( told me it wouldn't show what songs didn't have rights ). Showed how much space I had and what was being used by system, apps, etc. Let me move things from phone to pc. Even told me how much charge the phone had. Let me name the phone. Gave me a list of music that I could convert to ringtones.

Just my work laptop with Windows 7 Pro. Haven't tried it with my personal laptop or desktop with Windows 7 Ultimate. Or my Surface tablet yet. But nice app and working great for me. Much easier than my wife's arrive using the Zune software.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I simply don't see the value of that Windows Phone APP. In the old days with WP7, you have to have Zune software to sync stuff to the phone. Now the WP8 shows up as a standard MTP devices, there is nothing you can't sync or copy to or from phone using simply WMP or Windows Explorer.

As for .NET Framework 4, it is a mess on Win7. I have couple .NET 4 updates from Windows Update that keep repeatly try to update and won't ever done. It is so bad that there are many .NET 4 cleanup tools out there, even one recently from MS. But none of that can fix this Windows update problem for my one PC.

Nevadarain72

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I am running into the same problem, but this link has not solved it. I tried running the web install and selecting "Repair the current installation", I tried downloading the actual file and selecting "Repair", and I've also tried removing .Net entirely and then reinstalling it.

None of the above attempts have allowed me to install this program so I can manage my new Windows Phone. I continue to get the "Windows Phone requires .Net framework 4.0" error, which shuts down the installation process. Has anyone had any success with this issue?

My computer is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and I am attempting to sync a Nokia Lumia 920 for AT&T.

bamagrad03

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you're running Windows, you really should have the .Net framework installed anyway. It'll make your life a lot easier.

Just sayin...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the people in charge of writing the connector are second string programmers.... maybe even unpaid interns. It's probably the first application I've ever seen from a major company that simply gives you a weird window saying you need a newer version of .Net and puts a long unclickable link in the window... 99% of the time it would actually take you to the place to download it or even launch the download itself.

Not that the connector will actually sync any of your Microsoft XBox music pass music you've downloaded over the last several years anyway. Too many silos still at Microsoft.

Nevadarain72

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
@tebugg That was it! Installing the .Net 4.5 worked like a charm, so +5 internets for you sir!

That being said....having finally gotten the app installed, I have to say I'm pretty damn disappointed with it. Microsoft should have allowed both MTP and full iTunes-style syncing. I can handle drag-and-drop just fine, but for folks who are coming from iPhones it will be a bit of a shock to the system to not have "one program to rule them all".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo