"Me" Tile crisp to pixelated

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and changed my profile picture at live.com. It looks beautiful and high res there, when it synced down to my phone the quality definitely degraded.

I wonder if something is causing it to sync at the resolution for the non-HD or WP7 device tiles and then it gets scaled up.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, looks crisp, then jagged a few seconds later. And I am syncing the pic from my phone and from hotmail so google is not an issue...

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Me too, I just used a pic on my phone to put on my ME profile. Looked great. Later in the evening, I noticed it was all pixelated

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just throwing my voice in this. I believe its a bug. WP support reply with what size is the tile but it doesn't matter. I've tried all different kinds of resolutions but it still comes out pixelated. It kind of boggles the mind on how this was missed.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
This happens when you update your profile/avatar picture on one of your networks. I noticed this yesterday when I changed my Microsoft account picture on my Windows 8 laptop. The picture got pixelated on my 8X and on my main desktop computer with Windows 8. The same happens with wallpapers between Windows 8 computers, even the "original" (the one you set on one computer) becomes pixelated after it syncs to other devices.

On WP8, the easy fix is to go to the Me tile, tap on the picture to change it and select the same picture and publish it to Twitter or Facebook. I like to have the same picture on all of my networks so If I want to use another picture, I change Outlook first (can also be change from Windows Live Messenger or Windows 8 Me app) and Facebook and Twitter.

It's a problem on their servers I guess because of the issue I described with wallpapers on Windows 8.

riffraff67

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I can concur. It has something to do with updating your Hotmail /Outlook profile pic. If you update just your Facebook profile from your phone, your image should stay hi-res.

At the beach

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Any other thoughts on this -- same thing happened to me, I don't have Facebook or Twitter. It's happened to both my Me tile and all of my contacts with pictures (as far as I can tell). Not an absolute deal breaker, just makes the OS look really sloppy.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I thought if you have the actual photo on your phone it will be hi-res. I remember hearing this a while ago but it could totally be wrong.

sakahn

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I fixed this using the following steps:

1) Moved all my Google contacts to outlook.com.
2) Set the profile pictures again from the photos stored on the phone.

Now they are really sharp and are not pixelated.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this yesterday when I changed my Microsoft account picture on my Windows 8 laptop. The picture got pixelated on my 8X and on my main desktop computer with Windows 8.
I think you're absolutely right -- Windows 8 seems to be downscaling the images when syncing. The other day I posted a profile picture from WP and it was perfect until I logged in to Windows 8 the next day, and the WP tile immediately got pixelated. Then I tried uploading the picture again from WP while still logged into Win8, and this time the tile pixelated in less than a minute.

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I just updated my profile pic on Facebook but didn't update my hotmail profile. Picture is crisp. Very awesome. So far so good, see what happens later today.

dipayanster

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
dont know will work on 8 or not but i seen on my 7.8 that adding same picture in live and fb and then syncing both gives low resolution picture in me tile. but if i go to live and remove profile picture and then resynch both fb and live i get my crisp me pic back. i think its something associated with wp picking profile pic from live over fb and live downscaling pic somehow while sending to phone.

joergi69

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
the same issue here on my Lumia 920. I recognized the issue 2 days ago :-( It seems Microsoft has changed Outlook /Live server settings.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Is the photo you're selecting already cropped? The only time I've ever seen my profile pic pixelated is if I substantially cropped it when I made it my profile pic. The subsequent compression of a cropped photo ends up looking pretty bad because the photo was already low resolution (cropped).

EDIT : Oh never mind - I see you're saying it goes from looking good to looking bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb