Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1.    #1  
    I approached him, asked about his views on WP8 & direction of development. I was told windows phone 7.x isn't what was on road map to success. It is more of a fill the gap procedure. New developers along with old ones are being strongly encouraged to only used new SDK for WP8 as Microsoft doesn't want Windows Phone 7.5 or 7.8 to float beyond 12 months of WP8 launch.

He also suggested this is a huge transition period from 7.x to 8 & there are so many uncertainties around 7.x that developed who want long term revenue are encourage by the MSFT Dev Centre in UK to go for WP8 apps and those who want to make quick money for short term go for WP7.x

All in all, he summarized with a strawberry cider, that, don't expect WP7.8 to be feature rich like WP8, its for low end market as a cheap option and MSFT expects WP8 to replace that low end option after 12 months from now, dropping all the support for WP7 then.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Cue cries of rage from packs of teary-eyed Mango handset owners, who will stomp off to buy an Android handset that will never get an update from Gingerbread. :D

I wouldn't recommend WP7.x to anyone even if the phones are free. Its really too bad for the Lumia 900 owners but WP7.x needs to die to move the platform forward.
  4.    #4  
    He did suggest that if we needed quick money and get people familiar to WP, WP 7.x Lumias were way forward. That's at least what they hope to do. Make 7.x dirt cheap to compete low end markets so people can familiarize themselves with the OS. Same as Android - those who aren't fussed about high end phones, need just a working phone will buy cheap smartphones, but WP7.x is supposed to be a better choice as it "looks" similar to next generation OS & functions nearly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by paulm187 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend WP7.x to anyone even if the phones are free. Its really too bad for the Lumia 900 owners but WP7.x needs to die to move the platform forward.
    Honestly, I'm not sure I can recommend WP8 to my friends at the moment.

At least WP7 had proper music syncing (and over wifi no less!). Native podcast support was doable too.

WP8 is embarrassingly bad for music at the moment. :(
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by runam0k View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure I can recommend WP8 to my friends at the moment.

At least WP7 had proper music syncing (and over wifi no less!). Native podcast support was doable too.

WP8 is embarrassingly bad for music at the moment. :(
    Why is that? This has come as a surprise to me as much as the Lumia 920 battery issue.

I've got my Lumia 920 waiting for me, a yellow one, this Saturday! Please someone tell me I'm not burning my money for nothing!

Mm, Lumia 800 at this pricepoint it currently has is quite a steal, IMO. Competes easily with midrange androids, and especially for those consumers who are coming from basic phones.

Could you elaborate on that music aspect, per chance? I have a white 920 coming next week.
  8.    #8  
    I am getting a yellow Lumia 920 in less than an hour and really want to know what the deal is with this music thing. I have a Xbox music pass and it will really suck if there are issues with music!

I think there's no problem with that... More akin to syncing with what you have on your computer?

Syncing with a computer is fine, just install the Windows Phone app from the W8 app store on your PC.
  11.    #11  
    Then where is the problem? :s

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    That conversation the OP had with the evangelist has validated what I've long suspected: Microsoft can't wait for WP7 to go away forever.

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Makes sense. Not the OP, just the fact that WP7.x is all but dead.

Microsoft needs to come up with an incentive program for folks that recently bought a WP7 device so that they can upgrade to a WP8 device.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    ...just the fact that WP7.x is all but dead.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    Microsoft needs to come up with an incentive program for folks that recently bought a WP7 device so that they can upgrade to a WP8 device.
    They won't do it publicly in way of a program like you say. Still, I agree that at least Lumia 900 owners should get special treatment because it is absolutely ridiculous to sell a phone with an OS that was technically EOL at launch. Heck, my local Costco is STILL selling the 900. I feel bad for those buying it.

My advice for those who recently got a WP7 is to work with their carriers to see if they can authorize an upgrade. Lumia 900 owners in particular have been successful at "scoring" an upgrade.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    The 920 is awesome for music, and XBox Music is better than Zune music. The only situation where you might run into trouble is trying to get the old Zune desktop client experience with WP8 devices.

Drag-n-drop work great, and streaming is the way to go, IMO. There will be a bit of pain coming from old-fashioned Palm Hotsync-style "cable to PC to sync physical MP3/MP4 files," but dems da breaks.
  16.    #16  
    What didn't work was drag and drop the stuff I purchased for WP7 or downloaded. I had to delete all that from PC, then download all of it on my Lumia 920 and then sync. Now everything is working ok. I hope MSFT learn how to make trasition smooth from OS1 to OS2 from Apple.