Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

I'm a first generation Zune user. I'm used to having my music collection in Windows Media Player and Zune. I'm used to my Zune device only showing the music that I have synced with the device.

When I got my Windows Phone 7, it worked the same way. Now I have my Windows Phone 8 and I'm LOST on how to manage my music, both on my Windows 8 PC and my Windows 8 Phone.

When I first signed on and synced my Nokia Lumia 920, I noticed ALL my artists were showing up on my Nokia. This is confusing, because this doesn't show me what is actually stored ON THE PHONE.

I can't use Zune to manage this anymore. HELP!!! Is there a guide out there for long time Zune users on how to manage their music collections going forward???

On your phone go to the Music app and then Settings. You will see an option to see Xbox music cloud collection, set that to off. Then use the Windows Phone app for desktop to sync your playlists to the phone. The cloud is great and all, but it Xbox Music isn't matching every song and we can't always be on cell/wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by cddigi View Post
    On your phone go to the Music app and then Settings. You will see an option to see Xbox music cloud collection, set that to off. Then use the Windows Phone app for desktop to sync your playlists to the phone. The cloud is great and all, but it Xbox Music isn't matching every song and we can't always be on cell/wifi.
    That still doesn't help with getting DRM'd Zune Pass content onto a WP8 device. AKAICT there is no way to play downloaded Zune Pass content (not purchased, i.e. it has DRM, most of which has no syncing rights through WMP) to play on WP8. FYI I'm on Windows 7.

-R

Honestly right now we're pretty much just in a "wait and see" scenario. Microsoft hasn't provided any kind of migration route, presumably moving to iTunes would be the most "seamless" option, but the desktop sync software needs to be improved to make that a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9 View Post
    That still doesn't help with getting DRM'd Zune Pass content onto a WP8 device. AKAICT there is no way to play downloaded Zune Pass content (not purchased, i.e. it has DRM, most of which has no syncing rights through WMP) to play on WP8. FYI I'm on Windows 7.

-R
    I've got it working. I've synced DRM songs downloaded through Zune directly to my phone from both Windows 8 and Windows 7. Go into zune and check how many devices you have on your account - I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    I've got it working. I've synced DRM songs downloaded through Zune directly to my phone from both Windows 8 and Windows 7. Go into zune and check how many devices you have on your account - I'm curious.

I cleared all my devices and computers from zune when I purchased the 920 so I would not have any conflict. When I log in to xbox on the web I can see my computer and 920 listed as devices. Xbox music lists the same. When I go to the Zune software it is completely blank, no computers, no devices. Weird. I'm wondering if that is why I'm having DRM issues when syncing to my phone. Zune software continues to play music fine btw.

The part that sucks most is that I formatted my phone yesterday to start from scratch. I put a dozen or so, zune pass albums on the phone. I would try to play them the first time and I would continue to get the cannot verify usage message, same as usual. Then after a minute, I would try to play the music again. It worked, they all played on my 920. So I proceeded to load 2000+ zune pass songs to the phone using the desktop app. Using the previous technique, I started with the new songs. I was able to get the first 5 albums or so to work, then it stopped working for the rest. Very frustrating. I have three days left to return the phone. Hope msft acknowledges the problem and gives us some feedback by then. Longtime zune fan. I really don't want to go to another platform.

Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Go back to WP7. WP8 is not ready for DRM. My 920 is going back in 12 days and I'll be happy with my 900 with 7.8 and Zune.

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    The only way I know, is you have to download the DRMed songs directly from the phone. Fine for small collections, but for those who have large that would suck

Quote Originally Posted by pvcleave View Post
    The only way I know, is you have to download the DRMed songs directly from the phone. Fine for small collections, but for those who have large that would suck
    Doesn't work, when you try to download music that you already downloaded on a previous device you get a message "already in collection. Buy now?" And you have to purchase the song to download it to your phone.