I need help making a decision!! 8x or 920

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i just did the exact same thing... and i have been with verizon for 10 years. however i moved back in novemeber of last year and every since i have had more dropped calls than you can imagine. service atr my new address is awful. they gave me a data booster, and it didnt work. so after much complaining they agreed to let me out of my contract without an ETF. so as of last night i just ordered the lumia 920 for me and my wife.

so if it helps we were on a family share plan with verizon and it was 139 a month before taxes. and that was unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 4 gb of data to share. that pricing was also after a 21% discount from my employer.

att is 127 before taxes with the exact same plan. and they also offer 21% discount. so all in all its about 10 bucks cheaper a month. there is a 36 dollar activation fee per line, but they will waive those fees once the charges post. they just cant do it at the time of account set up. in addition you pay for a month in advance, and they pro rate your current month.

after searching long and hard and comparing several diff wp8 devices, you cant beat the lumia 920 for the price.....period.

one last thing, att threw in a free nokia charging plate for each of our phones too!

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has a trade in program, you can get a quote on your device on their website for trade in. You can then put that $ to your bill or anything they sell. Even if you wanted to get an 8X you could do that. The 822 is a fantastic deveice if you wanted a Nokia - seriously, check out the specs.

Thanx, but already know about the trade in, and have gotten a quote. Even with it I'd still be paying way over $200. And as for the 822, specs are nice but the phone isn't quite my style. I saw one at the store yesterday. A little chunky for me, and kinda immature (for lack of better term)...it reminds me of something high schoolers or college kids would use.

The HTC isn't a "low end device". ATT has exclusivity on the 920 for 6 months (rumor). After those 6 months I'm sure Verizon will have it's own version.

I don't think that's true. And if it is I don't see them getting it til its too late. But your right the 8x is not a low end device, but the 920 is a superior device at a lower cost.

They are generous if you switch to their service, then as soon as you do the generosity stops. I learned this the hard way a few years ago. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence..... I personally find that most of the time it's just an illusion.

True, but I no longer have carrier loyalty. I used to. I was with Sprint for 9 and a half years, and that got me into an arguement and switching to Verizon back in March (long story as to the details of why the switch). Ever since, it comes down to the phone/OS for me. Not the switchboard the calls are coming thru. It's easy for me to say that because where I live, service for the big 3 s basically identical.

I'd go 8x. I've held both, played with both. I'm a pretty big guy (6'2''), and the 8x fits PERFECTLY in my hand.

The 920 is a BIT big and wide. Just on that alone, I'm saying 8x. Also, I like the narrower screen.

I saw both yesterday. For me the 920 wasn't a problem. I was hoping that when I saw them it would make my decision easier, but it didn't. They are both beautiful devices.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
i just did the exact same thing... and i have been with verizon for 10 years. however i moved back in novemeber of last year and every since i have had more dropped calls than you can imagine. service atr my new address is awful. they gave me a data booster, and it didnt work. so after much complaining they agreed to let me out of my contract without an ETF. so as of last night i just ordered the lumia 920 for me and my wife.

so if it helps we were on a family share plan with verizon and it was 139 a month before taxes. and that was unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 4 gb of data to share. that pricing was also after a 21% discount from my employer.

att is 127 before taxes with the exact same plan. and they also offer 21% discount. so all in all its about 10 bucks cheaper a month. there is a 36 dollar activation fee per line, but they will waive those fees once the charges post. they just cant do it at the time of account set up. in addition you pay for a month in advance, and they pro rate your current month.

after searching long and hard and comparing several diff wp8 devices, you cant beat the lumia 920 for the price.....period.

one last thing, att threw in a free nokia charging plate for each of our phones too!

All the reasons that you mentioned are exactly why I'm leaning to the 920, also. W/o the company discount...ya lucky bastid...lol.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
well based on the specs alone the 920 would be the way to go, but the htc 8x has been praised as of late very good camera, fair to say the best front facing camera of any windows phone beats audio dedicated amp built in fantastic colors red being carrier specific to verizon the highest ppi of any phone i think the only place where the 8x pales to the 920 is really in storage. i would say if verizon is better for you stick with the 8x its a good phone but if you want latest and best go 920. Also praise its extremely ergonomic design.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
well based on the specs alone the 920 would be the way to go, but the htc 8x has been praised as of late very good camera, fair to say the best front facing camera of any windows phone beats audio dedicated amp built in fantastic colors red being carrier specific to verizon the highest ppi of any phone i think the only place where the 8x pales to the 920 is really in storage. i would say if verizon is better for you stick with the 8x its a good phone but if you want latest and best go 920. Also praise its extremely ergonomic design.

I know...now you see my dilemma....lol.

Rhodie469

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If they would just release the same phones on each carrier we wouldn't have these issues. I would get the 920 just simply based on it being a tad bigger and I prefer larger phones, but in the fight between 8x vs 822 it's an easy choice IMO. If only we had patience am I right? It would also help to know if they actually were coming out with a variant of the 920 for Verizon and when it would come out. I'm sure some people would hold out.... me I have no patience. As is this is the longest I've waited to get a new phone when my upgrade became available (2 months).

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If they would just release the same phones on each carrier we wouldn't have these issues. I would get the 920 just simply based on it being a tad bigger and I prefer larger phones, but in the fight between 8x vs 822 it's an easy choice IMO. If only we had patience am I right? It would also help to know if they actually were coming out with a variant of the 920 for Verizon and when it would come out. I'm sure some people would hold out.... me I have no patience. As is this is the longest I've waited to get a new phone when my upgrade became available (2 months).

I think we all know that there will be a 920 variant for Verizon, but we're (well me at least haha) are a "I want it now" kind of mentality. But, I've been waiting for the WP8 platform and with the 822, the window was open. When the 922 (or w/e they'll call it, maybe even a nice quad core WP8 device will be out by then for VZW) I'm sure I'll be pre-ordering it too.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So I would have went with 920, especially with Amazon selling it for a penny this past Saturday, but AT&T wanted a $300 deposit. I've never had t leave a deposit in over 15 yrs, and my credit was always shot. So I added a line and swapped the 8x over to my main line. I'll use the 4s on the new line for my caricatures and freelance art. I use the Square and Sail credit card swipers for each respectively, and neither have a WP app. Not necessary to have two lines, but it'll get used. Loving the 8x, btw.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb