Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    So, I'm on Verizon, currently with an iPhone 4s. And I hate it. I've been waiting for the new devices to go back to Windows Phone. I am not up for an upgrade from Verizon. If I stayed on Verizon, I would have to buy the 8x off contract, which from a budget stand point is not logical, or add a second line. I could find a use for the second line for my freelance art, but it is not a necessity at this point. Or I could sell my 4s to pay the ETF and switch to AT&T for the 920. The 920 is my first choice, and $100 cheaper. Anybody have any advice on switching from Verizon to AT&T? What's the price difference in plans? etc. What would any of you do?

UPDATE: I would have went with 920, especially with Amazon selling it for a penny this past Saturday, but AT&T wanted a $300 deposit. I've never had t leave a deposit in over 15 yrs, and my credit was always shot. So I added a line and swapped the 8x over to my main line. I'll use the 4s on the new line for my caricatures and freelance art. I use the Square and Sail credit card swipers for each respectively, and neither have a WP app. Not necessary to have two lines, but it'll get used. Loving the 8x, btw.
    Last edited by Darkgift; 11-26-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    AT&T is very slightly cheaper than Verizon... if you're with VZW and happy with them, I'd recommend giving the 8X on VZW a try first during your trial period. If you don't like the phone or service, you can return it within a certain amount of time (the carrier should be able to tell you more).
    Thanked by:

Sounds like the financially sound decision is the 920, which you prefer anyway. Whats holding you up?
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    AT&T is very slightly cheaper than Verizon... if you're with VZW and happy with them, I'd recommend giving the 8X on VZW a try first during your trial period. If you don't like the phone or service, you can return it within a certain amount of time (the carrier should be able to tell you more).
    I agree. Sounds practical to me. That would give him a chance to try Windows Phone without the obligation of a new contract or losing anything as long as he returned the phone within that 15 day window or whatever it is, if he didn't like it.

I wouldn't sell your iPhone 4S and jump to AT&T unless you are sure the 920 is the phone you want.
    Thanked by:

Jumping carriers for a phone is scary. I'm assuming you are happy with your service with Verizon as am I. For me switching isn't an option, so I'm stuck with the 2 choices for Verizon at the moment which seems like an easy decision for me (8X). In the past 6 years I've gone from Verizon, to ATT, to Sprint, back to Verizon. Really it's the best service in my area, and my only gripe with them before was the phones they offer in comparison to the competitors. Do you want to risk changing services just for a phone? After all that phone will have a different service provider, so just because it's a great phone doesn't mean it will work great.... but that depends on your area and the signal you get I guess. Best of luck with your tough decision. Seems like either way you are willing to pony up a ton of cash for a new phone... I can't relate to you there. The only reason I'm getting a WP is my contract was up as of September and I was waiting to see what new phones were coming out. I personally wouldn't buy a phone for the out of contract price, or pay a cancellation fee and jump services just for a phone.... but that's my opinion. Good luck.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    I appreciate all the comments. I was a carrier loyalist for a long time, but have since changed views. I need a device that I like and not one I'm setteling for. I have used Windows Phone in the past, and love it. I had the HTC Arrive when I was on Sprint. I left them in March because of, well, a long unimportant story. I miss the prices and unlimited data, but the phone selection was horrible. I am not an Android guy. And I can't see myself continuing using this iPhone...I can't stand it. I do have FiOS, and my bill is a One Bill, so that's nice. As far as service, I'm in Central Jersey/Jersey Shore area. Service is the same on all 3 carriers, by me. Maybe it comes down to the actual phones. Maybe I should go check them out in person. If the 8x is more my type, then I'll stay...if thge 920 is, then I'll switch.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Have you considered buying the 8X and if you like it selling your 4S to recoup some of the cost?

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post
    Have you considered buying the 8X and if you like it selling your 4S to recoup some of the cost?
    Yeah...I just can't afford to put that much out at first. I'd sell it to pay the ETF, because with all my accessories, and the near mint condition it's in, I can get more than the ETF price. But to buy the phone and then sell it I can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    Yeah...I just can't afford to put that much out at first. I'd sell it to pay the ETF, because with all my accessories, and the near mint condition it's in, I can get more than the ETF price. But to buy the phone and then sell it I can't do.
    That's what credit cards were invented for :)
    Man, I really like Verizon a lot, great service and all but it always made me mad that they wouldn't support Windows Phone 7. So when Windows Phone 8 came into existence I was hopefully for a high end WP8 that I could upgrade from my HTC Trophy (low end WP7). I did research and saw some promise for the Lumia 920 to be released and then turns out Verizon is going to still only support low end phones. I decied to switch to AT&T when I found I was going to lose my unlimited data and I'd still have to "settle" for a low end WP8. To me that was the last straw. So I'm waiting on a backordered Nokia Lumia 920 and soon as it comes in I'm terminating my Verizon contract.
    aubreyq likes this.
    I guess the Lumia 822 is not an option, then? I would say go for that one if you're really happy with Verizon. Otherwise, I would say the 920 because I've handled one and used it recently and it is an incredible device. I personally wouldn't recommend the 8X because of all the issues I've heard/read about people having with HTC phones.

i left tmobile for that att lumia 920! never going back

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    So I just stopped at my local AT&T and Verizon stores to check out both devices. Looks like if Verizon isn't uber generous ( which I suspect they won't be) I will be switching to AT&T for the 920.
    aubreyq and cthulhucometh like this.

I'm in the same boat and decided today that I'm jumping ship. Nokia 920 here I come.
    aubreyq likes this.

Im switching from tmobile I get 920 20% off from AT&T

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703 View Post
    I'm in the same boat and decided today that I'm jumping ship. Nokia 920 here I come.
    I hear ya. The only way I stay is if Verizon pushes thru an early upgrade, and matches the 920 price. And we know that ain't happening...lol.
    AT&T was very generous to get my business! Just sucks waiting on it to ship because it's on backorder.

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    Verizon has a trade in program, you can get a quote on your device on their website for trade in. You can then put that $ to your bill or anything they sell. Even if you wanted to get an 8X you could do that. The 822 is a fantastic deveice if you wanted a Nokia - seriously, check out the specs.

Quote Originally Posted by cthulhucometh View Post
    Man, I really like Verizon a lot, great service and all but it always made me mad that they wouldn't support Windows Phone 7. So when Windows Phone 8 came into existence I was hopefully for a high end WP8 that I could upgrade from my HTC Trophy (low end WP7). I did research and saw some promise for the Lumia 920 to be released and then turns out Verizon is going to still only support low end phones. I decied to switch to AT&T when I found I was going to lose my unlimited data and I'd still have to "settle" for a low end WP8. To me that was the last straw. So I'm waiting on a backordered Nokia Lumia 920 and soon as it comes in I'm terminating my Verizon contract.
    The HTC isn't a "low end device". ATT has exclusivity on the 920 for 6 months (rumor). After those 6 months I'm sure Verizon will have it's own version.

"AT&T was very generous to get my business! Just sucks waiting on it to ship because it's on backorder."

They are generous if you switch to their service, then as soon as you do the generosity stops. I learned this the hard way a few years ago. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence..... I personally find that most of the time it's just an illusion.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I'd go 8x. I've held both, played with both. I'm a pretty big guy (6'2''), and the 8x fits PERFECTLY in my hand.

The 920 is a BIT big and wide. Just on that alone, I'm saying 8x. Also, I like the narrower screen.

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    i just did the exact same thing... and i have been with verizon for 10 years. however i moved back in novemeber of last year and every since i have had more dropped calls than you can imagine. service atr my new address is awful. they gave me a data booster, and it didnt work. so after much complaining they agreed to let me out of my contract without an ETF. so as of last night i just ordered the lumia 920 for me and my wife.

so if it helps we were on a family share plan with verizon and it was 139 a month before taxes. and that was unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 4 gb of data to share. that pricing was also after a 21% discount from my employer.

att is 127 before taxes with the exact same plan. and they also offer 21% discount. so all in all its about 10 bucks cheaper a month. there is a 36 dollar activation fee per line, but they will waive those fees once the charges post. they just cant do it at the time of account set up. in addition you pay for a month in advance, and they pro rate your current month.

after searching long and hard and comparing several diff wp8 devices, you cant beat the lumia 920 for the price.....period.

one last thing, att threw in a free nokia charging plate for each of our phones too!
    WP Central - Super Member
    Xbox Live GamerTag - Bear lx

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TaliZorah View Post
    Verizon has a trade in program, you can get a quote on your device on their website for trade in. You can then put that $ to your bill or anything they sell. Even if you wanted to get an 8X you could do that. The 822 is a fantastic deveice if you wanted a Nokia - seriously, check out the specs.
    Thanx, but already know about the trade in, and have gotten a quote. Even with it I'd still be paying way over $200. And as for the 822, specs are nice but the phone isn't quite my style. I saw one at the store yesterday. A little chunky for me, and kinda immature (for lack of better term)...it reminds me of something high schoolers or college kids would use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodie469 View Post
    The HTC isn't a "low end device". ATT has exclusivity on the 920 for 6 months (rumor). After those 6 months I'm sure Verizon will have it's own version.
    I don't think that's true. And if it is I don't see them getting it til its too late. But your right the 8x is not a low end device, but the 920 is a superior device at a lower cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodie469 View Post
    They are generous if you switch to their service, then as soon as you do the generosity stops. I learned this the hard way a few years ago. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence..... I personally find that most of the time it's just an illusion.
    True, but I no longer have carrier loyalty. I used to. I was with Sprint for 9 and a half years, and that got me into an arguement and switching to Verizon back in March (long story as to the details of why the switch). Ever since, it comes down to the phone/OS for me. Not the switchboard the calls are coming thru. It's easy for me to say that because where I live, service for the big 3 s basically identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Agpe17 View Post
    I'd go 8x. I've held both, played with both. I'm a pretty big guy (6'2''), and the 8x fits PERFECTLY in my hand.

The 920 is a BIT big and wide. Just on that alone, I'm saying 8x. Also, I like the narrower screen.
    I saw both yesterday. For me the 920 wasn't a problem. I was hoping that when I saw them it would make my decision easier, but it didn't. They are both beautiful devices.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear lx View Post
    i just did the exact same thing... and i have been with verizon for 10 years. however i moved back in novemeber of last year and every since i have had more dropped calls than you can imagine. service atr my new address is awful. they gave me a data booster, and it didnt work. so after much complaining they agreed to let me out of my contract without an ETF. so as of last night i just ordered the lumia 920 for me and my wife.

so if it helps we were on a family share plan with verizon and it was 139 a month before taxes. and that was unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 4 gb of data to share. that pricing was also after a 21% discount from my employer.

att is 127 before taxes with the exact same plan. and they also offer 21% discount. so all in all its about 10 bucks cheaper a month. there is a 36 dollar activation fee per line, but they will waive those fees once the charges post. they just cant do it at the time of account set up. in addition you pay for a month in advance, and they pro rate your current month.

after searching long and hard and comparing several diff wp8 devices, you cant beat the lumia 920 for the price.....period.

one last thing, att threw in a free nokia charging plate for each of our phones too!
    All the reasons that you mentioned are exactly why I'm leaning to the 920, also. W/o the company discount...ya lucky bastid...lol.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    well based on the specs alone the 920 would be the way to go, but the htc 8x has been praised as of late very good camera, fair to say the best front facing camera of any windows phone beats audio dedicated amp built in fantastic colors red being carrier specific to verizon the highest ppi of any phone i think the only place where the 8x pales to the 920 is really in storage. i would say if verizon is better for you stick with the 8x its a good phone but if you want latest and best go 920. Also praise its extremely ergonomic design.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WinFan1 View Post
    well based on the specs alone the 920 would be the way to go, but the htc 8x has been praised as of late very good camera, fair to say the best front facing camera of any windows phone beats audio dedicated amp built in fantastic colors red being carrier specific to verizon the highest ppi of any phone i think the only place where the 8x pales to the 920 is really in storage. i would say if verizon is better for you stick with the 8x its a good phone but if you want latest and best go 920. Also praise its extremely ergonomic design.
    I know...now you see my dilemma....lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast