A new market for WP(8)?

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
According to CNET (see below) the Lumia 710 is the top Windows Phone in use right now, taking 22% of the Windows Phone pie.

Stats don't lie? Surface single most popular Windows 8 device | Microsoft - CNET News

I think this is an indication of two things with regards to the mobile market. First, it's clear that there's some growth in the entry/mid-level segment for solid budget devices. Second, it seems Windows Phone has a very good chance at penetrating and dominating that market should we continue to see real successors to the Lumia 710.

By that I mean a phone that packs the same internals (e.g. CPU and RAM) as its premium siblings, but eschews the others such as wireless charging and PureView. Not only that, but is also priced within the similar price-bracket of $250-350 off-contract. Throughout last year the 710 was adopted by a number of smaller carriers across Canada, and I actually began seeing a few pop up in the wild with WIND and Mobilicity users.

To be honest I think the Lumia 810 and 820 were in a great position to succeed the 710 in that market-segment, and perhaps even give the Nexus 4 a bit of a challenge had they been priced a bit lower than what is at offer. That said, there is still time to enter that segment, and I hope the upcoming Lumia 830 does a good job at supplanting the 710 in terms of specs and price.

Who knows though, maybe the rumoured Microsoft Surface phone will take up that mantle?

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
According to CNET (see below) the Lumia 710 is the top Windows Phone in use right now, taking 22% of the Windows Phone pie.

Stats don't lie? Surface single most popular Windows 8 device | Microsoft - CNET News

I think this is an indication of two things with regards to the mobile market. First, it's clear that there's some growth in the entry/mid-level segment for solid budget devices. Second, it seems Windows Phone has a very good chance at penetrating and dominating that market should we continue to see real successors to the Lumia 710.

By that I mean a phone that packs the same internals (e.g. CPU and RAM) as its premium siblings, but eschews the others such as wireless charging and PureView. Not only that, but is also priced within the similar price-bracket of $250-350 off-contract. Throughout last year the 710 was adopted by a number of smaller carriers across Canada, and I actually began seeing a few pop up in the wild with WIND and Mobilicity users.

To be honest I think the Lumia 810 and 820 were in a great position to succeed the 710 in that market-segment, and perhaps even give the Nexus 4 a bit of a challenge had they been priced a bit lower than what is at offer. That said, there is still time to enter that segment, and I hope the upcoming Lumia 830 does a good job at supplanting the 710 in terms of specs and price.

Who knows though, maybe the rumoured Microsoft Surface phone will take up that mantle?
I can tell you this. My wife would like a new WP8 device, however she wants PureView however she doesn't like how large the screen is. She has tiny hands.
I think there is a problem in the smartphone market that a premium device is a large screen device. For me that is true but not for everyone.
I think a 4inch screen (like her Focus) with the same design as the Lumia 920 and the pureview camera would be a great alternative.

davide445

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8S respond already to all your specifications: priced around $300 off contract, not too large 4" screen, good but not exceptional specs.

I have pre-ordered one, only it seems to me a bit strange nobody it's talking about this small nice phone (no review, no owner feedback, ...).

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It does supprise me that Microsoft gave out 920s to everyone at that recent build conference.

Surely giving everyone an 8S would have been better. Develop on the low spec phone, and the apps will fly on the high spec phones. Develop on the high end units, and you'll just end up with poor performance on the low end phones.

NourMedhat

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
hey ! I am from egypt and I'm travilling to germany in the next january and i want to get lumia 920 sim free to work here and with the cheapest price not 650 euoro any tips ?