NFC Capabilities

CAPcadetJC

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if it will be possible to do the things with NFC on WP8 that those can do using Android? I would love to be able to stick a NFC sticker on my tablet to be able to touch my phone to it that turns on the internet sharing, or stick a sticker on the dash that turns on and off bluetooth that I can use when I get in and out. The possibilities if given the options are fantastic.

CAPcadetJC

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I got tired of no apps and the clunky os and took my 920 back. Got the Note 2 and couldn't be happier. Havnt had one thing I can't do on it that I want to do..

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The guy who posted in a Windows Phone forum about how much happier he is on an Android phone than his Windows Phone called me a prick for recommending he post on the Android forums? Comedy! :D

scottt732

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
For anyone else who is interested, there is an NDEF library on CodePlex that hint at some of the capabilities. Take a look at the source under NdefLibrary\NdefLibrary\Ndef. The two most interesting ones are the NdefLaunchAppRecord and NdefUriRecord. It looks like the former supports launching specific applications (using Windows GUID-style application ID's) with optional arguments and the latter supports arbitrary URI-based protocol launching.

The WinPhone8 SDK gives support for apps to register URI handlers, so this would likely be the way to register behaviors that various types of applications could theoretically handle down the road. In other words, instead of launching Nokia Drive with a street address, you could launch whatever app is registered with a navigate:// protocol handler (for example). If multiple apps installed on the device are setup to handle the same protocol, scanning the NFC tag would likely pop up a window asking you which app to launch. I have 20 tags on the way from Amazon and plan on hacking on this when they show up.

CAPcadetJC

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The guy who posted in a Windows Phone forum about how much happier he is on an Android phone than his Windows Phone called me a prick for recommending he post on the Android forums? Comedy! :D

Sucks to suck

For anyone else who is interested, there is an NDEF library on CodePlex that hint at some of the capabilities. Take a look at the source under NdefLibrary\NdefLibrary\Ndef. The two most interesting ones are the NdefLaunchAppRecord and NdefUriRecord. It looks like the former supports launching specific applications (using Windows GUID-style application ID's) with optional arguments and the latter supports arbitrary URI-based protocol launching.

The WinPhone8 SDK gives support for apps to register URI handlers, so this would likely be the way to register behaviors that various types of applications could theoretically handle down the road. In other words, instead of launching Nokia Drive with a street address, you could launch whatever app is registered with a navigate:// protocol handler (for example). If multiple apps installed on the device are setup to handle the same protocol, scanning the NFC tag would likely pop up a window asking you which app to launch. I have 20 tags on the way from Amazon and plan on hacking on this when they show up.

Check out the aforementioned NfcInteractor.com | NFC tag reader / writer app its shows some promise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa