Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1.    #1  
    .. Only WP owners can see it!

Is it just me?
    Tested all color emoticons with my brother's android and he can't see them. Not even a box we used to see when iPhone emots were sent to us in wp7.

What's the point of using all these emoticons if I cannot show it in my texts!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Some of the icons go through to what iOS equivalents are according to my husband, and when he sends me some (i.e. the cat icon from iOS) i get the equivalent on my L920.

sounds like it's an android thing.
  3.    #3  
    I might have to bombard my friends on different OS with a few emoticons every now and then and see what works and what not because some sentences really make sense only with those faces at the end :P

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    It's just you. Any I send to iPhone or Android users see exactly what it is.
    Cingular (2001-2003) - Nokia 5190 > Nokia 3360
    Nextel (2003-2007) - i1000+ > i90c > i720 > i830 > i275 > i860 > i870
    AT&T (2007 to Present) - Treo 680 > iPhone 8GB > iPhone 3G 16GB > Moto Q9h Global >
    iPhone 3G 16GB > iPhone 3GS 16GB > HTC Inspire 4G > Samsung Focus > HTC HD7S >
    Nokia Lumia 900 > Nokia Lumia 920 > Nokia Lumia 1520

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Anything I send to my wifes iphone she sees. Does your friend have a stock android or is it jailbroken or custom rom?
    iOS supports the full range of icons. Though, not all of them are in color for us. However, few Android devices support these natively. Obviously, through third party solutions they all can install a new SMS client and enjoy them. But, out the box, only WP8 and iOS supports it universally.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    .. Only WP owners can see it!

Is it just me?
    Tested all color emoticons with my brother's android and he can't see them. Not even a box we used to see when iPhone emots were sent to us in wp7.

What's the point of using all these emoticons if I cannot show it in my texts!
    I've never seen a single emoticon that my best friend includes in texts to me on my iPhone. Then again, I don't have an emoticon app installed...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    I've never seen a single emoticon that my best friend includes in texts to me on my iPhone. Then again, I don't have an emoticon app installed...
    Yeah we always knew that iPhone emoticons don't work on WP and many webpages etc where we see a box instead of smiley.

But in WP7 whatever emoticons we had - were visible across platforms.

Not anymore. WP8 emoticons, all the additional ones aren't visible cross platform. So doesn't really make sense to not even display a box so that other person knows there is something they can't see. It just excludes that character from your message!

Global Posts
    8,087 Global Posts
    Stupid question, but do you have text messaging set to use the reduced character set? It should be on full for all of them to work.

I haven't had any issues sending any of the WP8 ones to iPhone users.
  10.    #10  
    That's in settings right?
    It says Full on my settings. So I am hoping that's how it sends too.

When you say you've sent emoticons to iPhone, what ones did you use as such? I used the one with yellow face and lots of sweat - second row, second emoticon, second page.

Global Posts
    8,087 Global Posts
    That's in settings right?
    It says Full on my settings. So I am hoping that's how it sends too.

When you say you've sent emoticons to iPhone, what ones did you use as such? I used the one with yellow face and lots of sweat - second row, second emoticon, second page.
    I used a couple of the random animal ones, I think it was monkeys.
    Yeah we always knew that iPhone emoticons don't work on WP and many webpages etc where we see a box instead of smiley.

But in WP7 whatever emoticons we had - were visible across platforms.

Not anymore. WP8 emoticons, all the additional ones aren't visible cross platform. So doesn't really make sense to not even display a box so that other person knows there is something they can't see. It just excludes that character from your message!
    Yeah... I always tell my friend not to bother with the emoticons since I can't see them, but she doesn't listen, lol :P It'll all be good when I get my 810, though.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    My iOS friends can't see most of the emotes I send them. Only the basics, like :) ;) :(
    Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    My iOS friends can't see most of the emotes I send them. Only the basics, like :) ;) :(
    Not sure what to tell you, mine shows up perfectly on every iPhone & I see theirs perfectly. Should be noted that everybody I know with an iPhone has a 4S or 5.

On a side note, my 900 saw all of them too, they just weren't in color. And, I could send them back using WPCentral's cheat sheet or the emoji app from the store.