Reset your WP8!!!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Why? Here is why...

First time set up - 5.05GB used, 9.79GB free.

After the reset - 2.39GB used, 12.45GB free.

I always reset my phones after the initial set-up specifically for this reason. Usually first time ever set-ups install extra junk. I have no idea what the extra stuff is, maybe somebody does.

Oh, and my phone is the Lumia 822.

Genserik

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the heads up.

I just finished installing a bunch of applications, might as well run through the reset process now and see just how well the Nokia 822 handles the dramatic recovery I am going to run it through! Mwahahahaha

genserik

Last edited:

Genserik

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the heads up.

I just finished installing a bunch of applications, might as well run through the reset process now and see just how well the Nokia 822 handles the dramatic recovery I am going to run it through! Mwahahahaha

genserik

In response to my own response...

The reset is easy enough. Go to Settings > About > Reset Phone > (WARNING:the next step will reset your phone) Then confirm reset phone.

Screen changes, says Goodbye, some cogwheels spin on the phone for about...10-15 minutes, phone comes back on. Then it activates which is another 3-4 minutes. The pictures I took were already backed up to my Skydrive account.

My contacts came back in without any other assistance other than my Windows Live account.

My Text messages restored just fine.

It automatically restored my wallet (sorry just typing as I'm going).

It somehow restored my Twitter account but did not restore my Facebook or Gmail accounts.

Applications seem to be absent still, will need to manually reinstall (-1 point in Marketplace design, no application history).

It remembered my Nokia account which is great I suppose.

Lastly, customization did not come back (not surprised, this is normal for most phones).

Hopefully this helps someone else out =)

And you were right. My first run on the OS it had 9 GB left. After the reset I have 14.84 GB left

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
In response to my own response...

The reset is easy enough. Go to Settings > About > Reset Phone > (WARNING:the next step will reset your phone) Then confirm reset phone.

Screen changes, says Goodbye, some cogwheels spin on the phone for about...10-15 minutes, phone comes back on. Then it activates which is another 3-4 minutes. The pictures I took were already backed up to my Skydrive account.

My contacts came back in without any other assistance other than my Windows Live account.

My Text messages restored just fine.

It automatically restored my wallet (sorry just typing as I'm going).

It somehow restored my Twitter account but did not restore my Facebook or Gmail accounts.

Applications seem to be absent still, will need to manually reinstall (-1 point in Marketplace design, no application history).

It remembered my Nokia account which is great I suppose.

Lastly, customization did not come back (not surprised, this is normal for most phones).

Hopefully this helps someone else out =)

And you were right. My first run on the OS it had 9 GB left. After the reset I have 14.84 GB left

You must have turned on backup. It won't backup apps though. All of that stuff was probably restored when your phone was reset.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
does this help for the Surface memory as well?

Yes. About 2-4GB was freed up on my tablet the other day after doing even a 'refresh' - not even a reset.

Thank you for the tip. I saw your suggestion the other day and was just doing it as I saw this topic. I noticed that at least one UI element reappeared after resetting the phone: the 'Setting Up Your Phone' part of the initial set up now seems to display the five scrolling 'dots' at the top the screen. It didn't do that on my first initialization, and I thought my phone may have locked up.

Interesting find indeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos