Best "live tile" apps?

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Which apps take the most advantage of the large live tiles in windows phone 8?

Is there a twitter app that shows a "live" stream of your feed in a tile?

Is there an app that shows a "live" stream of breaking news in a tile?

etc, thanks!

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you which app isn't the best. Bloomberg. It's supposedly a live tile app, but I can't tell that it does jack squat on my phone. Is live tile integration supposed to be configurable within the app?

I'm also not sure if the Weather Channel app automatically updates the tile. I do know the tile updates when I open the app.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I should expect BBC News Mobile (written by Lawrence Gripper) will probably be updated with a live tile soon, at the moment it's implementation on the medium tile size is very good- it pages through 3 or 4 of the top stories from whichever feed that tile is set to (I have one for Front Page and one for Business) and updates at least 4/5 times daily

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you which app isn't the best. Bloomberg. It's supposedly a live tile app, but I can't tell that it does jack squat on my phone. Is live tile integration supposed to be configurable within the app?

I'm also not sure if the Weather Channel app automatically updates the tile. I do know the tile updates when I open the app.

The Weather Channel tile definitely updates, but if I had to guess I would say only once an hour. I know it does change for sure, but there have been times where I've opened the app to discover that the current temperature is different than what shows on the tile.

I was liking the Bloomberg tile at first. When I saw that it displayed the markets on my home screen I thought it was pretty sweet. Unfortunately, it will only show the DJIA for me and never shows anything else. I'm not sure why.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I was liking the Bloomberg tile at first. When I saw that it displayed the markets on my home screen I thought it was pretty sweet. Unfortunately, it will only show the DJIA for me and never shows anything else. I'm not sure why.

My Bloomberg tile seems to be static, but whoever published the app claims it uses live tiles. Is it dependent upon the size of the tile? I think any kind of update would be nice.

mammaldood

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The Microsoft-made "Weather" app is way better than Weather Channel for its live tile. Weather Channel would never auto-update its live tile, but this one does. And it keeps the metro styling.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
so there are basically no decent "full screen" live tiles available?
You essentially defined "decent" as being an RSS feed of news stories. While I don't know if this exists, I certainly haven't come across one. The BBC (unofficial app) also shows only one news story, but it updates fairly often (multiple times a day, not once as you mentioned). Still doesn't fit all of your criteria though and it's only a medium tile.

xH4RRYx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The world of red bull app uses live tiles really well. You can set it up to 4 medium tiles and use them as a mosaic to show pictures of a specific sport. This gives means you get pictures right across your start screen. Also you can set the lock screen to show pictures of a specific athlete such as i get mine to show me pictures of Travis rice, a professional snowboarder and it is awesome!!! I really recommend it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3