What happened to the group messaging (MMS) option?

jinty_mc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Im in the UK and have the Lumia 920. I also have this problem. I do not have the option to turn group text on. This is rather annoying as ive always used this feature in the past.
Please!!!, someone find an answer to resolve this issue!!!

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It kills me that the WPCentral crew isn't covering this issue. They did a brief mention of it, but attributed it to network incompatibility on Verizon's CDMA network, which is completely wrong. It's a carrier intentionally crippling a feature of Windows Phone for reasons they refuse to explain. I really wish someone with access to their PR department would demand an answer.

trikotret

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It kills me that the WPCentral crew isn't covering this issue. They did a brief mention of it, but attributed it to network incompatibility on Verizon's CDMA network, which is completely wrong. It's a carrier intentionally crippling a feature of Windows Phone for reasons they refuse to explain. I really wish someone with access to their PR department would demand an answer.

Verizon cdma network can handle group messages. If It cant then they would ban the iphone group mms and other phones. BTW I currently have a Droid Razr maxx and it does have the group mms feature. I think its a manufacture feature and not carrier. Other android phones have group messaging such as Htc rezound, Motorola bionic and Droid HD Maxx. Maybe Verizon did ask Nokia or other manufactures to block group mms on their device for windows 8. I have no idea why they would do that. But its stupid.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it would be nice if WPC could leverage some of their clout to get a real answer here instead of blind speculation. Obviously it has nothing to do with Verizon's network because even the Trophy supports group MMS.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying ALL phones will lose the group MMs feature COMPLETELY in 2013??

After looking at that link again, I don't think it's talking about group MMS. "Group Communication" must be some obscure service that nobody uses, and that's why they're getting rid of it. Still doesn't answer our questions about WP8 though.

AngeloUCF

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
After looking at that link again, I don't think it's talking about group MMS. "Group Communication" must be some obscure service that nobody uses, and that's why they're getting rid of it. Still doesn't answer our questions about WP8 though.

I agree, it looks like Family Group Communication and Group Communication were 4.99 and 6.99 add-ons that are probably going away thanks to imessage. So, that still leaves the wp8 question unanswered.

trikotret

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone find an application in the market to have group messages. I know in the android market, there is Verizon messages app that does this.

FrancisMH

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I was extremely disappointed to see Verizon pull this crap. I was looking forward to WP8 and the 8X, unfortunately, like many of you, this is a complete deal breaker for me. After being a Verizon customer for over 15 years, I made the switch to AT&T - I've had enough of their corporate **** and BS policies.

I mad the switch to a Lumia 920 and am loving it so far. And put it this way -- if you're eligible for an upgrade on VZ, you're at least 20 months into your contract. To upgrade to the 8X, you're looking at $199 pus the $30 upgrade fee. The ETF, being 20 months in, is only $140 - pay that plus $99 for the Lumia on AT&T and it's basically the same thing. Screw Verizon, they suck.

anjan84

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Since VZW disabled this and we have no reason why, it would be nice if tech sites like wpcentral or the verge would try to contact either Verizon or Microsoft. If they have any info it would nice if they shared it with us.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Keep sending in requests to tech sites like WPCentral. But for all we know, they are following up. Doesn't mean Verizon is giving them answers.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
On tue blog page we have a Tip Us on News link. Use the link to email.the writers if you like. That's the best way to let them know your conserns

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs