ActiveSync EAS wont sync with error 85010013 with WP8

Jay Demas

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
When I sync to my corporate server, I receive the message "requires that certain security policies be enforced before you can sync your information. Contact a support person or your service provider. Last tried x minutes ago" with error code 85010013. The company uses exchange 2007 with an ISA server front end. My Iphone works perfectly and have been pretty disappointed that my lumia 920 does not.

Other notes:
The mail server is in a seperate domain than my user account.
My NT user account used to login does not match my email address
In OWA, the phone is listed stating first synced but only has that field and device ID. Overall status says OK.
the EAS policies required a 6 digit numerical passcode and the storage shows as encrypted after the account is setup.
I dont have access to change security policies or to request what the policies are unless I can determine that from the phone/OWA
Phone is a Nokia Lumia 920 white with windows phone 8

Please help

Last edited:

Rob Sharp

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You need to contact your Support team that is responsible for Exchange Mail. WP8 meets all of the same security requirements for EAS that Android and IOS support so it seems to me that your IT Dept is lagging behind. They need to help you with this. Don't let them give you any BS about support for WP8. WP8 Is as secure if not more secure than the competing platforms.

treetownal

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem. Cannot access myself, even though I was able to on Android. Our IT team has a policy to support nothing but iphone, so being unable to connect as I was able on my android really hurts. What my IT department should do doesn't really matter, because they won't do anything and they are telling me WP8 does not work a exchange server 2003 that is being migrated to 2010.

Whatever is making it more difficult for a WP8 device to connect via is a killer for me since I now have to carry around a blackberry in addition to my 8x. The bottom line is that IT departments aren't going to use resources on a low adoption OS and if this is a problem shared by other users adoption is going to be hurt by this. I hated android and have no interest in the iphone but this problem is very frustrating.

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that your enviroment has the following EAS policy turned on:

"Require Encryption on Storage Card"

I have confirmed directly with Microsoft that WP8 OS and Windows RT do not support this particular policy. They also do not support the "Disabled Storage Card". Unless your administrators change their EAS policy you will not be able to connect your phone. I believe the iPhone just ignore this policy since they do not have storage cards.

treetownal

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that your enviroment has the following EAS policy turned on:

"Require Encryption on Storage Card"

I have confirmed directly with Microsoft that WP8 OS and Windows RT do not support this particular policy. They also do not support the "Disabled Storage Card". Unless your administrators change their EAS policy you will not be able to connect your phone. I believe the iPhone just ignore this policy since they do not have storage cards.

Do they plan on addressing this? I am really torn because this is the first phone I really love out of the gate and any shortcomings are on the app side so I expect to be resolved, but this particular problem has me eyeing the return period because I do not want to carry two devices anymore.

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Do they plan on addressing this? I am really torn because this is the first phone I really love out of the gate and any shortcomings are on the app side so I expect to be resolved, but this particular problem has me eyeing the return period because I do not want to carry two devices anymore.

They support Device Encryption but not the encryption of the storage card. This was listed in a EAS supported policy list and it is not a bug. Of course they might add support in the future it didn't seem to me that it was something they were actively working on.

I "think" this is due to the storage card just being for media (video, pictures and music) and not stuff like emails. I really wish they didn't do it this way since a lot of companies have storage card encryption on their policies to cover Android. My company is reviewing our options now to see if we will support Window devices. We block WP7 due to no encryption at all. WP8 only does half of it.

To answer the other question above that the 920 doesn't have a storage card, true but it is the OS blocking the policy.

Anyway, i can confirm via my own tests that removing the storage card encryption from the EAS policies does allow WP8 to connect perfectly with Exchange 2010.

PerseusPrime

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem and was hoping that this would have been resolved after using 2 years of WP7. Is there any way to put this in Neowin or Verge to get Microsoft to fix it? This is just crazy that you would miss out on all your enterprise customers.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay, they are not screwing over "all" their enterprise customers. Really. Most enterprises already do not permit phones that take storage cards in the first place. Add in that most new smartphones regardless of platform don't include storage cards and you can see it is a legacy technology. So just turn off the EAS policy but restrict the allowed devices, which is not that difficult to do.

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay, they are not screwing over "all" their enterprise customers. Really. Most enterprises already do not permit phones that take storage cards in the first place. Add in that most new smartphones regardless of platform don't include storage cards and you can see it is a legacy technology. So just turn off the EAS policy but restrict the allowed devices, which is not that difficult to do.

The problem is that there are a lot of newer Android phones that still use SD Cards and since these newer devices could have their internal memory and SD Card encrypted we allowed them on our network. It is really hard to change the policy now just for Windows phones and tell all those Android users that they can no longer use their phones. Android population dwarfs WP8 right now and will for a long time to come.

PerseusPrime

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
if you allow Android phones in your company you are an idiot playing with fire.

likewise, phones that don't have removeable storage like the Lumia 920 should be allowed to ignore this or report "yes" like iPhones get to.

SpaceGuy

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Thanks for adding clarification that its the storage card policy that prevents the connection. (I have read an InfoWorld article showing just the opposite). I will contact my IT department with this information and maybe they'll relax the policy in this case.

thewhitetower12

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So if I was able to successfully log into my corporate (ActiveSync) account on WP7.5 and my credentials have stayed the same, I won't be able to do so on WP8? Is this storage card policy new to WP8?

Thanks

Jonas Karlsson

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I had the exact same problem, Nokia Lumia 920 (Win8) and unable to sync with Exchange ActiveSync (errorcode 85010013).

I am really stubborn, and refused to accept that it was impossible... and finally I managed to make it work, not sure however if this is good solution, or if it works for anybody else...

It started working when i changed Domain: from (example) "domain.com" to "username@domain.com" (our mailserver then has a separate adress: "mobility.server.com").

I don?t know is this is useful for anybody, but at least it worked for me. I hade some trouble to replicate the success, but after creating third functioning "email account" I stopped testing... :sweaty:

Best regards/Jonas

PerseusPrime

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
No luck with your approach.

We are on google apps and use Microsoft Exchange to enforce policies I think.

Here is the full error:

m.google.com requires that certain security policies be enforced. Try syncing again to apply the policies. If you keep seeing this message, contact a support person or your service provider.

Last tried 2 seconds ago
Error code: 85010013

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So if I was able to successfully log into my corporate (ActiveSync) account on WP7.5 and my credentials have stayed the same, I won't be able to do so on WP8? Is this storage card policy new to WP8?

Thanks

If you were able to connect with WP7 then your company doesn't enforce encryption at all and you will have no issues connecting your WP8 device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3