Storage details - other category

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Try a soft reset. I brought mine out of spinning gears and allowed it to boot. Then, follow the flash process.

Actually I left it to work since the afternoon with wallcharge plug in, when I came back, it went out of battery I just felt surprised and tried to turn it on. It's not on but the nokia logo come up and the empty battery charging sign blinked.
Now I have to flash the phone, and sadly I have low Internet connection to download those recovery files. Badder, I am using a Macbook with no Windows installed. So now I have to get the Windows first and download all drivers of macbook.
Damn... I heard many people have bricked thier phones by tapping reset menu on the phone. If it results of bricking, why there is a reset button? Dont understand Microsoft either Nokia, they are both stupid, and I am more stupid bought their product, sigh...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I reset one of our phones on Saturday because of the other storage and it set on spinning gears for about 2 hours. I did a soft reset a few times gave 20 more minutes, did a hard reset a few times, gave it 30 minutes. Finally it came up and I was able to get it all setup. Strange thing was that it didn't give me the option to restore from backup. (I have done this before on my phone and know how the process works)

Her phone also showed 3 times the storage amount of Music + Videos that were actually on her phone.

The other storage hasn't gone crazy like it had before. It's only been a little over a day though.

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I reset one of our phones on Saturday because of the other storage and it set on spinning gears for about 2 hours. I did a soft reset a few times gave 20 more minutes, did a hard reset a few times, gave it 30 minutes. Finally it came up and I was able to get it all setup. Strange thing was that it didn't give me the option to restore from backup. (I have done this before on my phone and know how the process works)

Her phone also showed 3 times the storage amount of Music + Videos that were actually on her phone.

The other storage hasn't gone crazy like it had before. It's only been a little over a day though.

Soft reset is push and hold Volume Down + Sleep buttons, right?
So how is Hard Reset?

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Soft reset is push and hold Volume Down + Sleep buttons, right?
So how is Hard Reset?

Their are a couple of ways to hard reset: Settings>About and scroll to bottom. Should see reset phone button. Second, which I've never been able to get working, is three button reset. Hold power, vol up and vol down until vibrates. I've also heard hold power, vol down and camera button. Tried both and never could get either to work. Only managed soft reset with buttons. Remember, hard reset will take phone to factory state, or brick it, depending on how lucky you are. You will loose any data not backed up and have to set everything up again.

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Their are a couple of ways to hard reset: Settings>About and scroll to bottom. Should see reset phone button. Second, which I've never been able to get working, is three button reset. Hold power, vol up and vol down until vibrates. I've also heard hold power, vol down and camera button. Tried both and never could get either to work. Only managed soft reset with buttons. Remember, hard reset will take phone to factory state, or brick it, depending on how lucky you are. You will loose any data not backed up and have to set everything up again.

Actually my phone is bricking now since I have try to hard reset from the menu button (Setting>About). Now I am trying to do something to recover it before using the PC which I still wait for the firmware downloading process.
I will try physical hard reset now, thanks

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I was doing the soft reset (Volume down + Power) and that didn't seem to help. I read that a hard reset was Volume down + Power + Camera. I have no idea if that is true or even differnent from a soft reset. I did all of them and it finally came back up. Now after I did those resets it rebooted and I still had the spining gears, but it finally rebooted itself and got to the welcome screen. I also did a few reboots right after each other, just kept holding down the buttons. I have no idea if it actually worked or not, but the phone finally came back up. I figuered if it was bricked, holding down the buttons could't brick it more.

I also took the sim out and had it plugged in while I was doing this. I know there was/ something wrong with this phone as I have done a reset 2 or 3 times before and never had the spinning gears this long before.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I've already done one factory reset on my 820 and I'm not doing another, currently have 2mb free space and am unable to update any of my apps. Already removed some to clear space and within days it's been eaten by 'other' which is now over 3gb in size (apps is taking up a smidge over 2gb). Shrink storage isn't working. I don't see what else I can do now. Had enough frankly, as it feels like I'm being forced to remove apps from my phone (that were previously fine) to 'feed' other. Any suggestions welcome as I've not got much hope for a swift update from MS to sort the issue.

HupigonX

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I was also checking for this "Other" category behavior a bit on my HTC 8S. Here's the results! This is done to the CLEAN (or "factory set") phone.

Resetting factory setup.

Clean state:

Music + videos 0 bytes
Pictures 0 bytes
Apps 83,30 Mb
Other 282,98 Mb
System 2,02 Gb
Free space 1,23 Gb

Checked backup, opened "What will get backed up?" link and opened IE first time, then went right back *without* loading any setting or page (back + back). Difference after this:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps 83,29 Mb
Other 311,68 Mb
System -
Free space 1,20 Gb

Letting phone just "sit" for a 10 mins with Me- and People-livetile running. Difference:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other -
System -
Free space -

Manually sync'd and read 5 emails. Difference:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 312,21 Mb
System -
Free space -

Opened IE from last known page (the one that opened in earlier step). "Read" whole page from top to the bottom. Went back to Metro-screen. Difference:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other -
System -
Free space -

Opened IE again and went to The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) and signed in. Back to Metro, and then checking storage difference:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 317,52 Mb
System -
Free space 1,19 Gb

Back to Metro, then IE, straight to YouTube and clicked first possible ~4 min video on sight and watched it in HQ. Then head back to Metro, All apps, Settings, Storage. Difference:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 318,43 Mb
System -
Free space -

Now to clear every history in phone. Went to applications page of settings and wiped every single history this way. Difference:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 322,59 Mb
System -
Free space -

Now restarting phone. Checking the difference:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 317,82 Mb
System -
Free space -

First app download & install. Store -> Search "SkyDrive" -> Download & Install. Difference:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps 89,96 Mb
Other 329,23 Mb
System -
Free space 1,18 Gb

On the same run I also uninstalled that app and restarted phone. Any difference?

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps 83,29 Mb
Other 322,30 Mb
System -
Free space 1,19 Gb

Just letting this phone sit for a while, approx ~10 mins and checking again if idle time affects.

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 322,27 Mb
System -
Free space -

Now I linked Facebook this way: People -> Settings -> Add an account. I did NOT link it with Microsoft account. What difference it made?

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 348,93 Mb
System -
Free space 1,16 Gb

Ok. That ate ~24 Mb's after full sync. Now I checked my People-tile and looked "What's new", scrolled down for a one load and now my storage shows me:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps 83,28 Mb
Other 349,33 Mb
System -
Free space -

Interested in a phone restart I am and I will. First one lock screen, then restart. After lock screen, before restart:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 349,37 Mb
System -
Free space -

After restart:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 349,67 Mb
System -
Free space -

Now I checked Me-tile and took out "Notifications". It loaded bunch of new stuff and my storage info tells me this:

Music + videos -
Pictures -
Apps -
Other 344,25 Mb
System -
Free space 1,17 Gb

Back to metro.

I'm a bit keen to know how this system actually works. It lives, but differences are not too notable. I might be doing this type of comparison later with "backed up" settings and stuff, so I can have a bit wider view about this as a whole.

sheldork

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
HupigonX, you have a lot of patience on getting behind the scenes of this situation, I hope the MS dev team has it with passion to fix it & get it sorted out asap.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Actually my phone is bricking now since I have try to hard reset from the menu button (Setting>About). Now I am trying to do something to recover it before using the PC which I still wait for the firmware downloading process.
I will try physical hard reset now, thanks

I had the same situation as you. Try to factory reset from menu, the cogs kept spinning forever, then the battery's drained out and the phone only turns on with an empty red battery icon.
Bit or nervous at first, but I tried to plug it to charger and kept waiting, for after about 2-3 hours, the phone automatically turned on with the spinning cogs again, but this time, it only took 5 minutes to complete and took you to setup screen :)

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I had the same situation as you. Try to factory reset from menu, the cogs kept spinning forever, then the battery's drained out and the phone only turns on with an empty red battery icon.
Bit or nervous at first, but I tried to plug it to charger and kept waiting, for after about 2-3 hours, the phone automatically turned on with the spinning cogs again, but this time, it only took 5 minutes to complete and took you to setup screen :)

You are lucker than me, I put it on the wireless charging plate almost an hour it was turned on with spinning cogs again, and I have waited a miracle for almost half day, the phone get seriously HOT so I had to take it off. Finally, I installed Windows 7 on my Macbook and recover it from downloaded firmware with Nokia PC Suite.
Now it works just fine, no more apps and games installing, just use for phone calls, texting, and camera only. Other than that, better to work on Nexus 7

Homppeli

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
This is really just ridiculous. I had 400mb of free space, and I went to download an update I hadn't downloaded before. The update didn't download because apparently I had no space for it, yet my other just shot up enormously and now I have ONLY 30mb left of free space. My Other storage is currently occupying a shocking 4gb!!! And I have the Nokia 820 which means "other" is occupying HALF my storage. It's a good phone but this issue is simply horrible and makes using the phone incredibly difficult!!!

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Good news
yvate3ad.jpg

SirQaz Szef

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
my HTC 8S have only 50mb free space and 1.50 GB in "other" and shring storage does not work for me any more. what the **** is wrong witch Microsoft team. why nokia team could fix the problem but form Microsoft it takes a few months already and still nothing. did anyone found a solution how to install nokia fix on non nokia device?

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Uninstalled all my apps, got Phone Storage Cleaner, kept filling and re-filling till I had a maximum of 660mb of temporary files, restarted, cleared it all, and reinstalled my apps.

Before: 266mb free.

After: 210mb free.

By the Gods, I don't know what to say...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro