Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

I did an experiment between my wifes 822 and mine. Both of our Other were around 4gb. I reset her phone (very easy process as it downloads your apps and contacts for you) Her Other went down under 1gb. It has crept up to around 2gb now with a month of usage. Mine without ever being reset is now at 4.5gb with the same type of usage. I really hope they clear this up with an update. I would have to reset them every 10 months to a year, liveable but still not where WP8 needs to be heading.

It seems to me that, in the likelihood MS has dug itself into a hole with the OS, a sensible short term measure would be to enable map data to be saved to the data card.

Not much help for Lumia 920 owners, I admit; but a huge bonus for 820 owners with 64GB cards installed. We could just download the entire database and forget about it; and free up some of that ‘other’ rubbish…hopefully.

However, longer term, it really must sort this problem.

For those trying to work out what might be going on with 'other', here are my stats:

Phone Lumia 820: On phone: Music+Videos 7.88MB; Apps 750MB; Other 2.46GB; System 1.90GB; Free Space 2.31GB
    On Card: Music+Videos 27.42GB; Pictures 8.42MB; Other 541MB; Free Space 31.52GB

1.2GB of Map Data

No Emails or Texts; cleared IE cache; cleared Map and Drive history.
    Last edited by Antchexec; 01-29-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Well, here's a thing!

I read elsewhere that someone noticed (after much analysing) that his 'Other' went up when he uploaded to his Sky Drive. More in hope than expectation, I uploaded 10MB of pictures from my Albums to my SkyDrive and my 'Other' went to 2.47GB from 2.46GB (see above for details). Free Space is now 2.30GB. Deleting those files from the Sky Drive has achieved nothing, as far as the phone's 'Other' is concerned; and I am 10 MB shorter of memory; but happier because I will now be disabling automatic uploads from the camera, immediately. So much for the "additional 7GB" MS keeping harping on about!

This may not be difinitive (or only a small part of a bigger problem), but with the only recovery method being a complete reset, I am not risking running out of 'Other'. That said, I'm sure if uploading to SkyDrive works like this, then my guess is that other apps do too.

I also found a dude that chatted with Microsoft support. It seems that MIcrosoft is aware of the problem, so that is good news :):

Aled D.: The Other section holds program files, and some programs leave behind files even when you've deleted them. Updating the phone will clear this. Have you updated recently?
    Me: not sure how to update. I always install all market updates. Is there another way?
    Aled D.: Go to settings > updates and see if there is an update pending.
    Me: After checking for updates, it says "your phone is up to date"
    Aled D.: In that case the only way to clear the Other section is to hard reset the phone. Or you could wait for the next update.
    Me: ok, I think I will wait as long as I can. Is there any way to tell which apps take up the the most space?
    Aled D.: When you install an app, you can see how big it is. There is no other way unfortunately.
    Me: Ok, lastly are there any scheduled updates coming up?
    Aled D.: I'm not made aware of an update until it's about to be released, so I couldn't tell you, sorry.
    Me: OK, thanks for your time.
    Link to the discussion is What is "Other" under Storage? - Microsoft Community

From the same thread, a moderator has become aware of the problem and asked MS to investigate:

7thSense replied on January 27, 2013

MVP Community Moderator Community Star
    In reply to saurabhsood post on January 27, 2013
    I have escalated this problem to Microsoft to make sure they investigate if this is an OS issue or not.
    Last edited by Tiwo; 01-29-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks for sharing this information with us, Tiwo. We sure ARE waiting for MS to do something about this.

Has anyone observed the "behavior" of the "Others" storage section with the Facebook integration feature of Windows Phone 8? I am planning to integrate Facebook to my phone, but I'm worried that all the photo hub updates, chat integration and status integration features would eat the remaining (120.91MB) free space of my phone. Auto-uploading photos to Skydrive DOES increase the "Others" sections as observed, but I'm not sure if it is (and am hoping that it is not) the same case for Facebook integration. Any advice on this?

Well, there is hope. I just got greeted by 'low space' warning on my Lumia 820, with Other section clocking at about 3GB and about 300MB or so free space left. But after the 'low space' alert the Other section shrunk to 1.54GB! Wheeee.

It happened when a newly downloaded app started installing, I think that may have triggered the clean up. I already ran into problem of being unable to install some apps due to low space (actually had 1GB free, lol) and that didn't nudge Other.

EDIT Other has actually let go of another 150-200MB over night. Interesting.
    Last edited by Ixolite; 01-30-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Nobody can say how to resolve this situation I'm in the other 11gb

Hi Guys,

Is Microsoft working on this issue and been notified on this ?..

As I cont see any resolution or updates on this. Everyone is placing there queries alone.

My Lumia 920 is left with only 17GB space.
    Others now its around 4.7GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixolite View Post
    Well, there is hope. I just got greeted by 'low space' warning on my Lumia 820, with Other section clocking at about 3GB and about 300MB or so free space left. But after the 'low space' alert the Other section shrunk to 1.54GB! Wheeee.

It happened when a newly downloaded app started installing, I think that may have triggered the clean up. I already ran into problem of being unable to install some apps due to low space (actually had 1GB free, lol) and that didn't nudge Other.

•EDIT• Other has actually let go of another 150-200MB over night. Interesting.
    For someone who has only 116.97MB (it shrunk from my last post) of free space, this is indeed INTERESTING. According to MS, the "Other" will automatically shrink if the phone has received some updates. Is it possible that your phone has received an update that has caused the shrinking of the "Other"? What is your OS version (seen in Settings - About (tap more information)?

•EDIT• Other has actually let go of another 150-200MB over night. Interesting.
    This didn't happen with me at all. I got the alert for Portico and went to download but was instead greeted by a "not enough space" error. Nothing freed up, and my OTHER was over 3Gb.

Quote Originally Posted by gpobernardo View Post
    For someone who has only 116.97MB (it shrunk from my last post) of free space, this is indeed INTERESTING. According to MS, the "Other" will automatically shrink if the phone has received some updates. Is it possible that your phone has received an update that has caused the shrinking of the "Other"? What is your OS version (seen in Settings - About (tap more information)?
    No, I did not get an OS update, I'm on 1232.2109.1242.1002

I got the "not enough space" error too earlier when trying to install a game (Parking Mania to be exact - How much space do you need to install app?) and had to free up the space by deleting other apps.

This time however I just hit on the the download button for Skulls of the Shogun, without much hope for success, but it actually downloaded and started installing. I left it for a bit, when I came back I saw the 'low space' notice and discovered the Other section shrinkage once I dismissed the notice.

My guess is that the app installer triggered the clean up when it ran out of space *while* installing the game.

No, I did not get an OS update, I'm on 1232.2109.1242.1002

I got the "not enough space" error too earlier when trying to install a game (Parking Mania to be exact - How much space do you need to install app?) and had to free up the space by deleting other apps.

This time however I just hit on the the download button for Skulls of the Shogun, without much hope for success, but it actually downloaded and started installing. I left it for a bit, when I came back I saw the 'low space' notice and discovered the Other section shrinkage once I dismissed the notice.

My guess is that the app installer triggered the clean up when it ran out of space *while* installing the game.
    GOOD NEWS

I've "forced" my phone to lose its free space by browsing and browsing to increase the web cache. As expected, I received the Low Phone Memory alert. But, instead of clicking "Settings" which I always did, I chose to "Close" and dismiss the warning just as member lxolite did in post #105. And voila, my 98MB (which used to be 116MB a few hours ago) of free space grew back to 365.94MB! I know this is not that much, but at least it is better than 98MB.

But here's the kick: a few moments ago my free space was 365.94MB, now (just about a minute later) it is at 366.30MB, and it seems to be growing continuously. I shall keep this forum updated as this seems to be very similar to lxolite's experience as narrated in post #102. Now it's at 367.36MB.

I suppose the choosing to "Close" and dismiss the low phone memory warning forces WP8 to clear up the unnecessary cache it has accumulated in the "Others" storage section. Has anyone experienced the same? Try doing this (if you're adventurous) by purposely filling up your cache (by browsing, downloading maps, installing apps, etc) until you get the Low Phone Memory Warning then choose "Close", and let us know if you experience the same thing.

Update: Now my free space is at 376.58MB and is continuously growing (the "Other" section is shrinking).
    Last edited by gpobernardo; 01-31-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    My "other" is 4.67gb :'(

Hey irvin792,

For the second time my HTC 8S has just hit 00.00 MB, so I...
    1) Switched off and on again - 4 MB free
    2) Browsed lots on the internet - 0 MB free (apps are now crashing etc)
    3) Cleared the internet cache - 0 MB free
    4) Switched off an on again - 3 MB free
    5) Typed this message (on a different computer) - 10 MB free

So there you have it, you just have to vent on this thread to get another 7 MB. But seriously, I really don't know what to do next. The last time I hit zero I did a factory reset, only to discover that I couldn't restore because in order to connect, my phone needed an APN, which can only be entered AFTER restoring (D'oh!)

BTW How did I get to zero (twice)? I installed very few apps (especially the second time) but I think my crime was saving photos to the phone and have the auto-save-to-cloud thingy switched on.

my other have reached over 10gigs.. had to factory reset.. this is crazy.. can somebody help me clear this? i blame it mostly on app updates.. and the cloud...

When I went to sleep last night my memory was 2.66 GB free (with 1 GB of others on my new HTC 8X 8GB version). Then when I woke up and for the first time in my photos hub went into the Facebook integrated photo section, it went down to 2.22 GB free!! To me that just confirms a lot of it is due to internal fb integration, they don't have a proper way of just deleting the cache.... I need as much space as possible because 8GB with no SD card is not very awesome if its taken up by stupid things such as this. If I knew this I would've never used the Facebook integration and just use the app since its extremely fast to open on WP8.

Quote Originally Posted by WhippedKream View Post
    When I went to sleep last night my memory was 2.66 GB free (with 1 GB of others on my new HTC 8X 8GB version). Then when I woke up and for the first time in my photos hub went into the Facebook integrated photo section, it went down to 2.22 GB free!! To me that just confirms a lot of it is due to internal fb integration, they don't have a proper way of just deleting the cache.... I need as much space as possible because 8GB with no SD card is not very awesome if its taken up by stupid things such as this. If I knew this I would've never used the Facebook integration and just use the app since its extremely fast to open on WP8.
    Correction, sorry for the freak out but I just remembered I had recorded a video of me playing some guitar and that took quite some space. However, I still decreased from 2.66 to 2.45. Which is quite a lot for using the integrated fb photo section ONCE! I just hope MS can fix this quick.

I am afraid to install apps on my new 8s that I normally install on my previous Lumia 800. This was not what I had in mind buying a new smartphone, limitation. I am really frustrated that MS is not responding. Hopefully there is an update to enable us to store the "other" folder on the SD card. Please update us on this issue.

I think the moderators should be notified, maybe they can help us get answers, maybe get this issue further looked at if we can, cuz its stupid to me that we have all this space that I can't clear up. Emails, messaging, and browser take up other but clearing that out only saved me a couple hundred megs. I have 3 gbs (Lumia 810) taken up. Need to get this helped, cuz Microsoft and nokia obviously don't know of this issue. I have the portico update also.

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Yeah, this whole issue really is stupid. U can go on window phones.com and in the contact us area, there's a place to 'vote' for issues u want them to know about/address. That might alert them. Not really sure how else to alert anyone.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Kei Square View Post
    I just did! Thx for the link

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I don't know if I'm too early to judge on this but here is my two cents on the 'other' storage problem:

I got a lumia 620 8 days ago and I'm satisfied. The 'other' is growing; it is 1.3 GB now. My free storage is 3.5 GB.
    Here you go:

1) I think that by the time 'other' eats up the majority of the free storage, i'll already have downloaded my needed apps/games/ media on the phone. I'm almost done with them anyways (my region's marketplace isn't that big!)
    2) I've installed most of my apps manually.
    3) Maybe it's too early to judge. 8 days isnt as long as 2-3 months of usage.
    4) It is definitely a problem for HTC 8S for example. But it is way smaller than that for other models with larger internal memory. Before deciding I was like 'scared' from this. It saved me from buying the 8S anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Technoloay View Post
    I don't know if I'm too early to judge on this but here is my two cents on the 'other' storage problem:

I got a lumia 620 8 days ago and I'm satisfied. The 'other' is growing; it is 1.3 GB now. My free storage is 3.5 GB.
    Here you go:

1) I think that by the time 'other' eats up the majority of the free storage, i'll already have downloaded my needed apps/games/ media on the phone. I'm almost done with them anyways (my region's marketplace isn't that big!)
    2) I've installed most of my apps manually.
    3) Maybe it's too early to judge. 8 days isnt as long as 2-3 months of usage.
    4) It is definitely a problem for HTC 8S for example. But it is way smaller than that for other models with larger internal memory. Before deciding I was like 'scared' from this. It saved me from buying the 8S anyways.
    Unless you put music on it, I had an 8x since launch and the other category grew to 6gigs at which point WMP quit syncing because it syncs new songs before deleting the old ones... Bought a Galaxy SIII, miss the people hub but everything else is just better. Sad. Should have just kept my HD7 and saved myself a grand
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast