Storage details - other category

Kei Square

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: What about the "Other" storage section ?

my other have reached over 10gigs.. had to factory reset.. this is crazy.. can somebody help me clear this? i blame it mostly on app updates.. and the cloud...

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
When I went to sleep last night my memory was 2.66 GB free (with 1 GB of others on my new HTC 8X 8GB version). Then when I woke up and for the first time in my photos hub went into the Facebook integrated photo section, it went down to 2.22 GB free!! To me that just confirms a lot of it is due to internal fb integration, they don't have a proper way of just deleting the cache.... I need as much space as possible because 8GB with no SD card is not very awesome if its taken up by stupid things such as this. If I knew this I would've never used the Facebook integration and just use the app since its extremely fast to open on WP8.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
When I went to sleep last night my memory was 2.66 GB free (with 1 GB of others on my new HTC 8X 8GB version). Then when I woke up and for the first time in my photos hub went into the Facebook integrated photo section, it went down to 2.22 GB free!! To me that just confirms a lot of it is due to internal fb integration, they don't have a proper way of just deleting the cache.... I need as much space as possible because 8GB with no SD card is not very awesome if its taken up by stupid things such as this. If I knew this I would've never used the Facebook integration and just use the app since its extremely fast to open on WP8.

Correction, sorry for the freak out but I just remembered I had recorded a video of me playing some guitar and that took quite some space. However, I still decreased from 2.66 to 2.45. Which is quite a lot for using the integrated fb photo section ONCE! I just hope MS can fix this quick.

pconge

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I am afraid to install apps on my new 8s that I normally install on my previous Lumia 800. This was not what I had in mind buying a new smartphone, limitation. I am really frustrated that MS is not responding. Hopefully there is an update to enable us to store the "other" folder on the SD card. Please update us on this issue.

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the moderators should be notified, maybe they can help us get answers, maybe get this issue further looked at if we can, cuz its stupid to me that we have all this space that I can't clear up. Emails, messaging, and browser take up other but clearing that out only saved me a couple hundred megs. I have 3 gbs (Lumia 810) taken up. Need to get this helped, cuz Microsoft and nokia obviously don't know of this issue. I have the portico update also.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this whole issue really is stupid. U can go on window phones.com and in the contact us area, there's a place to 'vote' for issues u want them to know about/address. That might alert them. Not really sure how else to alert anyone.

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I don't know if I'm too early to judge on this but here is my two cents on the 'other' storage problem:

I got a lumia 620 8 days ago and I'm satisfied. The 'other' is growing; it is 1.3 GB now. My free storage is 3.5 GB.
Here you go:

1) I think that by the time 'other' eats up the majority of the free storage, i'll already have downloaded my needed apps/games/ media on the phone. I'm almost done with them anyways (my region's marketplace isn't that big!)
2) I've installed most of my apps manually.
3) Maybe it's too early to judge. 8 days isnt as long as 2-3 months of usage.
4) It is definitely a problem for HTC 8S for example. But it is way smaller than that for other models with larger internal memory. Before deciding I was like 'scared' from this. It saved me from buying the 8S anyways.

netscan

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I don't know if I'm too early to judge on this but here is my two cents on the 'other' storage problem:

I got a lumia 620 8 days ago and I'm satisfied. The 'other' is growing; it is 1.3 GB now. My free storage is 3.5 GB.
Here you go:

1) I think that by the time 'other' eats up the majority of the free storage, i'll already have downloaded my needed apps/games/ media on the phone. I'm almost done with them anyways (my region's marketplace isn't that big!)
2) I've installed most of my apps manually.
3) Maybe it's too early to judge. 8 days isnt as long as 2-3 months of usage.
4) It is definitely a problem for HTC 8S for example. But it is way smaller than that for other models with larger internal memory. Before deciding I was like 'scared' from this. It saved me from buying the 8S anyways.

Unless you put music on it, I had an 8x since launch and the other category grew to 6gigs at which point WMP quit syncing because it syncs new songs before deleting the old ones... Bought a Galaxy SIII, miss the people hub but everything else is just better. Sad. Should have just kept my HD7 and saved myself a grand

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Phone memmory almost full, what are thos other contents store on my phone? [Lumia 920]

The system promt me the delete some contents on the phone to free up memmory. When I look into details, I found almost half of phone memmory is used on Other Contents, so I wanna know what are those other contents and how to delete it. If any bodies here can help, thanks a lot.
qahygyqy.jpg

dyga6eqy.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

pamelazzzzz

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone memmory almost full, what are thos other contents store on my phone? [Lumia 920]

I am basically having the same issue. If you search for "other" on here you will find lots of others having this problem.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone memmory almost full, what are thos other contents store on my phone? [Lumia 920]

Maybe you have downloaded stuff you are not aware of? Maybe clear your IE cache/history. But that's soooo bizarre!

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Maybe you have downloaded stuff you are not aware of? Maybe clear your IE cache/history. But that's soooo bizarre!

Deleted IE things, it gives only 300+ MB =='

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Only way to clear other category is a factory reset. You can clear cache data and get a couple mbs, but factory reset is only way. I'm hoping this is a bug with OS and not how it is going to be permanently. We'll see at next update.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Deleted IE things, it gives only 300+ MB =='

I have the answer, I just found out about it last night before bed.

Go to C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Downloads

Delete everything that's inside that folder.

For some reason, Microsoft decided to put shadow copies of apps and software. They're useless, so dint need to worry.

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

abel920, do what? I dont follow sorry.

Also problem is well known, my memory (lumia820) bounces all the time, whenever free space gets below about 300-200mb it starts cleaning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa