Storage details - other category

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I think microsoft is going to fix this issue with the next update. Ballmer must notice this on his Phone, eh? Or is he using an iPhone. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Gauravs90

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
WindowsPhone 8 users: What's your OTHER STORAGE size?

I currently own Nokia Lumia 820 and I love this phone, it's butter smooth and it's great in functionality but the thing which is bugging me is other storage which is in phone memory and its taking a lot of space.

Lumia 820 comes with 8 GB internal memory of which 7.41 GB is available out of which OS takes 1.93 GB, So only 5.8 GB is user accessible.

The problem is out of 5.8 GB other storage is taking 4.4 GB of space, only 1 GB of space is available for apps. Music and Videos can be offloaded on memory card but for apps the storage available is way too less. Other storage gradually increases over time, when I brought Lumia 820 it comes with 400 MB and it gradually increase to about 4 GB in just one month usage.

Other storage said to consist of IE, OS and application caches and it's really unacceptable to be of so much huge in size.

I urge all of windows phone 8 users to report your other storage here in this thread and escalate the issue.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: WindowsPhone 8 users: What's your OTHER STORAGE size?

Please understand how this 'Other' storage works before going off.. It's a dynamically allocated space, basically the OS will grab as much space as it can and reserve it. But it will release it if it is needed for other purposes. Simple way to test this is to copy a number of large, say movie, files to the phone. It will make the 'Other' storage smaller as you copy more data to the phone. Also if you record video or photos they will be in the 'Other' storage until you copy them to a PC after which they will be in normal storage and the space they occupied in 'Other' is released to the system.

At least that is what I found by searching the web and then testing this on my 620.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm using the Nokia 920, and my other storage is always round 1.98GB.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

lumia 920.
apps 3.37GB
other 2.50 GB
free space 19.91 GB

i tend to keep a lot of free space for videos. i don't think 8 GB is adequate for a phone tbh. even ipods ditched 8 GB

Gauravs90

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Please understand how this 'Other' storage works before going off.. It's a dynamically allocated space, basically the OS will grab as much space as it can and reserve it. But it will release it if it is needed for other purposes. Simple way to test this is to copy a number of large, say movie, files to the phone. It will make the 'Other' storage smaller as you copy more data to the phone. Also if you record video or photos they will be in the 'Other' storage until you copy them to a PC after which they will be in normal storage and the space they occupied in 'Other' is released to the system.

At least that is what I found by searching the web and then testing this on my 620.

I also done the same, recorded the hd video on internal memory and other storage is reduced from 4.51 GB to 4 GB. And its not reducing further but 4 GB is still too much. Any other solution...

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: What about the "Other" storage section ?

music & videos 3.08MB
pictures 0
apps 1.79 GB
OTHER 3.29GB
system 1.91GB
free space 416.20MB

really there must be a way to sort this

just cleaned out ie cache & now have 4.63 MB free

deanmurphy182

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

what ive noticed is im not saving anything or really adding apps but when i stream movies or tv series' the seem to save into the other section also even tho im not downloading them, mines is now at 5gb on the lumia 820

jcinc

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Shrink Storage didn't do anything for me. Why can't WP8 use the SD card for other things besides pictures and music?

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Lumia 920

music + videos = 10.39gb <= 6 full length movies is included in this number. Like Evolution, Green Lantern, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Star Trek.
pictures = 616.10mb
apps = 1.72gb
other = 2.96gb
system = 1.72gb
free space = 11.74gb

edit: Also if anyone knows how to bypass the drm on my digital copy of avengers I have on my desktop to be able to move it to my phone and surface would be greatly appreciated.

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

It would be great if Other worked as intended and released space as needed. But it doesn't. It may be how Microsoft designed the OS to work. But it doesn't work that way. Trust me. I've been dealing with wasted Other space for the last 3 months. Here's some quick examples:
Example 1: I have 5.00 GB other used, 100MB free space. I go to download an app greater than 100MB. Error! Please free up some space on your phone.
Example 2: I have 5.20 GB other used, 30MB free space. I go to start recording a video. Error! Please free up some space on your phone.
Example 3: I have 5.00 GB other used, 100MB free space. I go to download a map for Nokia Drive greater than 100MB. Error! Please free up some space on your phone.
Other does not free itself when needed.
This is a major bug that is preventing users from downloading apps and costing developers money. You'd think it would top priority for Microsoft to address.
The only solution is to hard reset your phone.

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

yeah but why is market saying that I have no space? It's not that dynamic as it should be...
it's the biggest bug in microsoft since history i guess.

It's like the biggest dustbin you've ever seen, wow great, but once it's full, there is no way to empty it. LOL i guess i'm f*ked with my HTC 8s.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

hey guys, i'm also on a related thread on the microsoft forums and there was someone who has created an app which can free up some space in other. Look up for 'shrink storage' in the marketplace. It is really helpful. It has cleared almost 1gb of other on my htc 8x! But other people said that it only could drain 50mb on their phone so it varies per phone. Try it out!

Last edited:

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

How did you manage to download it as you are from Holland? I'm also from Holland and Windows market told me i can't download it because of my region..

EDIT: Fixed it.

voodoocars

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Just had a gander at that app. Hmm... If you 'restart' your phone, what does that do? Would I lose any stuff on the phone like contacts, pics etc? I'm not overly concerned about the 'other' storage bit as I use no apps- I guess I'm old school and still text and make phone calls.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb