Explain Fully OTA updates

GT2010

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone explain fully to me how OTA updates work and whats so cool about itIf im right all i know is that you no longer need carriers to update your phone if im right of courseSo please explain to me every detail of OTA updates 'Thanks

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
OTA updates do not mean that the carriers are no longer involved. All OTA means is that you no longer need a computer to update your phone. You will get a message on your phone when your carrier approves an update, you can click on the message and tell it to install which it will do without the need for a computer. That is all.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
What he said. It's useful because many people never sync their phones with a computer. The way the industry is moving that is likely to soon become the norm rather than the exception. I know one person that is still running WP 7.0 (i.e. pre-NoDo) because she's never bothered to plug her phone into her computer. It's also a feature that iOS and Android have, so MS is just keeping up with the Jones'.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I also don't think we can really say anything definitive until we actually see one happen. Right now we're all speculating.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly, Microsoft can and will issue OTA updates without carrier intervention or blocking. If this is true, it is a Good Thing.

Palm was the first to do OTA updates of the operating system, but the carrier could decide to block or limit deployment. As a result, many people (especially on Verizon) with Palm devices never received updates that fixed serious problems. I remember the Verizon Pre 2 never received Palm's last three updates to webOS for the Pre 2, which is outrageous, because Verizon said "we didn't have the resources to test them, and we won't allow them on our devices without testing." Pre 2 owners were literally stuck with bugs forever as a result.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro