So how long till we see more higher quality games?

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm just a bit dismayed. I've been a massive proponent of the platform highlighting its good, while trying to forgive the bad, but I'm a bit worried. I think honestly it's a problem with the Microsoft name more than anything else we're seeing at this point. Where are the developers of the good iOS games (****, even crap like Zynga) on both WP8 and Wrt? Are developers really so anti-Microsoft that they're dragging their feet or releasing half-assed ports?

Bah, frustrated, sorry.

Anyone else feeling anything about this?

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Has nothing to do with Microsoft/Windows name. It's simply a matter of ROI (Return On Investment). Developers go where the money is.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Are developers really so anti-Microsoft that they're dragging their feet or releasing half-assed ports?

No. But they do like to see a return on their effort. At the moment, any company putting serious effort into an app for WP7/WP8 should consider themselves a non-profit corporation.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Has nothing to do with Microsoft/Windows name. It's simply a matter of ROI (Return On Investment). Developers go where the money is.

By that thought, you would think we would see some quality on Windows 8 store. Even if Win8 sells bad, that's still 100-200 million customers.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
But Win8 also runs these publishers' existing games just fine. The ROI from Win8 store games will have to come from Surface RT and other ARM systems that can only run Store games. And there just aren't very many of those at the moment. This was always the gaping hole in Microsoft's plan...

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I cant remember a mobile OS that had amazing games and support less than 2 years in existance except maybe the iPhone. I had the first ever android phone (T-Mobile G1) and it was HORRIBLE with support. It wasn't until Verizon got andoird a year later and promoted it as the iPhone alternative that it really took off because at the time iPhones were only on AT&T.

Now android, iphones, and wp phones are everywhere so it's a HUGE competitive market. Not like it was. Give it time.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
And unfortunately, Zynga released two turds atm. That's part of the reason I'm annoyed. Both of those games are really poorly done.

They're from Zynga. Zynga software ALWAYS sucks.

This is why I keep telling people "be careful what you wish for." Sure, the top players can deliver their popular apps from Android and iOS... but they'll suck just as much on Windows Phone as on Android and iOS.

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty excited about the Unity support myself, the nice thing about Unity is that all you have to do to make a game work for different platform is just re-compile. So hypothetically some of the games on iOS and Android that were built using Unity could be ported over extremely easily. Now if only we'd get UDK support then we'd be set!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Need for Speed Hot Persuit has some pretty freaking good graphics. I would call that high-end as far as graphics.

As far as just straight up quality games pretty much all of the Xbox Live games except maybe 3 or 4 out of the 20+ that I have I would call "quality games"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss