Notification Center concepts. We need to start over.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's a somewhat simple solution, swipe in from the left side, it brings out a drawer of notifications about 1/3 -1/2 the screen width. Actually, I would rather they introduce that as multitasking instead. Just like W8. But instead of the top corner, give me the whole left side.

corn_chowder

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's a somewhat simple solution, swipe in from the left side, it brings out a drawer of notifications about 1/3 -1/2 the screen width. Actually, I would rather they introduce that as multitasking instead. Just like W8. But instead of the top corner, give me the whole left side.

This. Why not institute a 'charms' like feature similar to what they have on W8 ? Swipe in from various directions to get to multitasking/notifications.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I've been thinking that the app switcher would be the best way to access a notifications area for a while now. When you hold the back button, the screen zooms out and leaves plenty of space for a toast-style notifications area that could appear at the top and cycle through your notifications and jump to a dedicated notifications center when tapped. A dedicated notifications center "app" (shown as another zoomed out screen) could also appear to the right. Both ideas have their issues - the first might make the app switcher too convoluted, and the second might require too much work to quickly view what you've missed, but I think they both present ways that notifications could be rounded up and always visible regardless of the app your in.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
My idea of a notification center is an ap that logs all notifications. A one stop shop of all notifications (with detailed description). If I click on the notification, it takes me to the app and opens the description. So this can't just be an ap, it's got to be built into the OS itself so that each ap can push notification to like the live tile or start screen.

If so and so posts a comment on a facebook update, I can pull up the notification center, click on the notification and read the response. Or, I can view any update that gets pushed from CNN or some other toast enabled ap. That way, I can have my aps minimalized and only view the number of notifications, and know that I can go to my notification center and pull up any specific notification I want to view. That's how I envision a notification center.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I like the "swipe left on the home screen" idea too. But that's only half the problem, you still have to go back to the home screen to get to them. So while that is good to have them all in one place, it's not all that much better than looking at your live tiles. So in addition to swipe left, I think that we also need a gesture (like a certain finger swipe or holding search like some have suggested) to invoke a charms style notification and quick settings menu.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the fuss some people make about notifications in WP is silly, nitpicky, and a product of being too used to other operating systems. Why is it silly? Because the entire UI is a notification center for crying outloud. Information is displayed dynamically in real time. Just leave your lock screen and voila... you're at a notification center.

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the fuss some people make about notifications in WP is silly, nitpicky, and a product of being too used to other operating systems. Why is it silly? Because the entire UI is a notification center for crying outloud. Information is displayed dynamically in real time. Just leave your lock screen and voila... you're at a notification center.

+1

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
At this point I think the debate over whether or not there needs to be a notification center is over. MS already admitted that there is a need and that they're working on it.

If you feel like you don't need it then that's fine. Hopefully MS will implement it so it won't get in your way. But there's no sense in complaining about the people that want it.
Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

T1TAN

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Notifications are already messed up on WP ... Don't see why anyone wouldn't want a notification centre on WP ...

Sent using WPCentral app on Lumia 800

lboogie_1971_

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How about this: What if in Settings one could set up what color they want their new incoming toasts/notifications to come in. 1)It would take advantage of the differences of each person's choice of tile color(no one color would be the be all notification color) If i have yellow tiles then if Microsoft or whomever makes it says yellow is the color to know if you had new toasts/notifications then I would be screwed. 2)It keeps with Metro/Modern theme without stealing/borrowing from other OSes.

In addition how about a refresh setting as to when or how often you want missed/toasts to reappear. There was some one working on a standalone notification app or tile, when a notification came in it popped up at the top of the page, this could be implemented if one is in a app.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
As I see it there are three gestures that are usable on a capacitive button: touch, long-hold and double-tap. Why not implement a double-tap on the back button to bring up a Notification Center/List. Simple back button will close the Notification Center/List returning the user right to where you were before double-tapping.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
As I see it there are three gestures that are usable on a capacitive button: touch, long-hold and double-tap. Why not implement a double-tap on the back button to bring up a Notification Center/List. Simple back button will close the Notification Center/List returning the user right to where you were before double-tapping.

With a double tap on the back button you will get the thing you get on the big middle button on the GS3... a delay. On the GS3, a double tap lauches S-Voice by default and a single press takes you to the home screen like Windows Phone.. However, hitting the button once does not take you right to the home screen because it pauses for a second or so just in case you were wanting to double tap. It introduces a small "lag" to the process and it does bother some people.. (not me, but people did complain.)

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

What if you aren't on the homescreen, and want to check the notification while in an app? What if you have a dozen tiles with notifications, but just want to see why your phone just buzzed? Live tiles don't do the job in either of those cases. A real notification center is accessible while in apps, and sorts the notifications chronologically. Live tiles are basically just widgets with stricter design rules..

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
At this point I think the debate over whether or not there needs to be a notification center is over. MS already admitted that there is a need and that they're working on it.

BINGO. The debate is over. Notification Center is coming. The only thing left is to decide what it should look like. Might as well be a swipe in from the top, it's what people are used to and when they are moving over from iOS or Android it would give them at least one bit of familiarity as they move to a radically new, and superior, OS.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.

I have no use for a notification center. On iOS, I always turned it off. (I prefer having all the apps I want notifications on to be pinned on the start screen, where the little counter number tells me how many of each new item I have).

If I were developing one for WP8, however... I'd probably tie it in to the long-press of the back button. When you do that, you get a "tile" of each running app; one of them is always the start screen. I would add a second one which is always there, which is the "notification hub". So you'd long-press back, tap the "notification hub" tile, and viola, there are all of your notifications.

Sorry some of my terms are off. It's been a long day and I'm tired. :)

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
swipe left to a notification list.... simple and easy and would fit with the os design.

personally the me tile works perfect

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720