Is the WP8 keyboard worse than WP7.x?

simbadogg

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
I've gone from the Samsung Focus, to Focus S, Lumia 900 and finally here at the Lumia 920...

Through my first three phones I always found the keyboards to be consistent, only thing changing was the increase in size from the focus to focus s (4.0" to 4.3"). But with the Lumia 920, I've seem to be typing slower, with the keyboard/phone not seeming to make a lot of the auto corrections that it used to. Anyone else noticed this or is it just me? I thought it might have been the high sensitivity screen but I tried turning that off and on, still no difference.

Pondimus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone 3GS, which is a dwarf in comparison, so I would have thought the larger screen could only make it easier. Unfortunately, for reasons I can't quite pinpoint, the WP8 keyboard seems excessively difficult to use. I've been trying to avail myself of the Wordflow suggestions, though. It's a great feature, and it helps me a bit.:)

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The keyboard is adaptive, so your longtime keyboard "knows" you better than a new one.

Secondly, the geometry of the 920 screen takes some getting used to, coming from a smaller device. It took me three days to type words that weren't complete gobbledygook. :)

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'd second both the bigger screen and the adaption issue. Just takes a bit with both... my 8x isn't that far off from the Lumia 800 and the spacing is still something I have to get used to.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I text a lot. I mean a WHOLE lot. The keyboard is getting really good at predicting my words and offers the next word I would type almost every time after 1 or 2 letters.

That said - pre nodo I could type very well on the keyboard with few mistakes. That hasn't been the case since then.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm also a heavy texter, and I'm also coming from an iPhone (a 4) to a Windows Phone (HTC 8X). I'm actually quite fond of the WP8 keyboard. On the 8X it works great in landscape mode.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I find the only issue from WP7.x is that the new emoticon additions can make me type some crazy stuff when I'm not being careful and accidentally hit that "smiley" face. But I've been trying to use WordFlow more and more and the more I do, the more I love it. I think it is a great feature, try using it more often and it will only get better as some others have said here - it's adaptive!

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
You should try typing on a HTC one x with Jellybean installed. It was a nightmare... I spent more time correcting typos than I did actually writing messages.

I'm finding the WP8 keyboard to be heaven by comparison.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
You should try typing on a HTC one x with Jellybean installed. It was a nightmare... I spent more time correcting typos than I did actually writing messages.

I'm finding the WP8 keyboard to be heaven by comparison.
I didn't think it was much of a nightmare. I'm coming from a one X with JB as well. I was fine with it. I had a problem when Swype thinks it knows what I meant to say though. sometimes swype was annoying, but I learned it's quirks.

The keyboards on the WP8 devices just take time getting used to. Went from One X, to 920, to 8x. Had a hard time typing on the 920 as well...for a few days then I was good. Same with the 8x.

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The real annoying thing for me is that it doesn't capitalise "i" eg. "Louise and i will meet you at Costa." its fine with names and places and days and months but those damn i's....

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think it was much of a nightmare. I'm coming from a one X with JB as well. I was fine with it. I had a problem when Swype thinks it knows what I meant to say though. sometimes swype was annoying, but I learned it's quirks.

The keyboards on the WP8 devices just take time getting used to. Went from One X, to 920, to 8x. Had a hard time typing on the 920 as well...for a few days then I was good. Same with the 8x.

Why did you switch to an 8X from a 920?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
It seems the same to me I had the Trophy and now the 822 and I like the keyboard. I find the predictive text the best I have ever used.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The only problem I have coming from Trophy to 822 is that I keep missing the space bar, but I attribute that to the larger screen, so I'll get used to it.

Rod Hull

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the keyboard on my Lumia 920 is an improvement over the Lumia 800. Maybe it's the increase in size, but I'm making far fewer mistakes on it than I did on the 800 and indeed on my work iPhone 4S. I especially like the ".com" button that likes you choose between common domain endings, the predictive text remains light years ahead of iOS, and the fact that it doesn't flip between alpha and numeric when you press space is far more preferrable than Apple's effort.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I find the keyboard on WP8 to be a lot better than WP7.x. Word flow is really working well for me. Even Swipe on my Nexus 7 is poor in comparison.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3